Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 02:17 AM   #1

Redwood 38RD

Looked at brand new 2016 RW 38RD today in Laughlin, NV. This one had the original dark wood interior. This is a long unit at just a little over 42ft. It has 5 slide-outs which makes you wonder why they did not just connect the together the two sets of slide-outs in the rear of the coach. Perhaps the length of the coach has something to do with it. Blue led lighting in recessed area on slide-out pillars.

It had the new raised ceiling in the rear and vinyl flooring in the kitchen and the living room. Here is a summary of the things that stood out for me.

- Living room was very spacious - looked even bigger with the high ceiling, but you would definitely need a stool/ladder to get to the upper rear cabinets. TV was huge and fireplace had curved front glass. Diamond furniture was uncomfortable. Even the sales lady mentioned it when she went to sit down on the recliner. Redwood should drop the Diamond furniture and select a reputable manufacture. We sat in a Momentum by Grand Design and the furniture comfort was superior

- Goodyear G14 tires were on this unit

- Bathroom shower was a half-moon. Quite a bit smaller than our current one. The wife did like the roller system on the bottom of the shower door, as it would prevent scum buildup. The curved doors don't appear to be glass. Bathroom storage is nice

- Built-in outside TV

- 2 AC units

- Bedroom was large and had a nice window in it, but the window took up valuable storage space. The bedroom had significantly less storage than even our 2012 31sl. Room only for a queen bed. No bedside shelves. The front closet is separated into two sections 2/3 on left and 1/3 on right. Right side is set up for washer and dryer. Also noticed the over-all depth of the front closet has been reduced on all new units we looked at. This was likely done in order to give more room on the side of a king bed. No drawers under the bed. Space for huge TV. Bed lifted up and there was storage available. The mattress was much cheesier than our original.

Over-all this unit had a nice living area and kitchen but the bedroom in our opinion would not be acceptable for full-time living. The only storage option I could come up with for the bedroom would to install a small dresser in the closet which is typically reserved for the washer and dyer and a clothes rack.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #2

Check out the 39MB I like the layout and space avail from this floor plan. IF kitchen storage is on your list Look for the a unit where the 1/2 bath is a pantry.
obxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #3

Not sure I would like the 5 slides. The selling point on our 38RL was how open it looked with slides out and the washer and dryer in the bedroom slide leaving all the closet open for storage.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
Not sure I would like the 5 slides. The selling point on our 38RL was how open it looked with slides out and the washer and dryer in the bedroom slide leaving all the closet open for storage.
X2 -

I LOVE being able to sit outside under the awning and NOT worry about walking into a slide.. AND STILL having the floor space that my slide in slide offers..
And with the W/D hook ups in the hall closet , that leaves plenty of clothes storage in the front closet..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

We love the slide in a slide option makes the bedroom so roomy. I was concerned about it in the beginning but It has been amazing so far. I still get a kick out of the looks the we get at the Campground as PPL walk by they have to stop and do a double take.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #6

I really think if Redwood got rid of that entry door issue, I would consider a new 38RL with the King slide in slide. That door is a deal breaker for me right now. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Don't remind me of the entry door. Ours is going in to be fixed at the end of this month. We have to slam it to get it to shut my DW has trouble getting it to shut cant wait to get it fixed. I keep waiting to have it jam and we will be locked inside. I wanted to get the door changed away from the stupid friction type hinges. My concern is that it will eventually just separate again
Old 01-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #8

It would almost be worth custom ordering with a different door, or retrofitting it after the fact and having it painted.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #9

This door last little over 1 year. If the next one lasts a year then the warranty is up and we will be on our own to pay for the fix. That's how RW solves the problem.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #10

I'm going to the show tomorrow and I want to find out how many of the doors are like that, and hope I see a Redwood Rep.