Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

Pulling the trigger

Or at least squeezing it....Made an offer, dealer accepted, working out the financing on a 2017 3921 GK. This will be our first trailer, looking to go full time in the near future. Are there any specific things I should be on the lookout for during the PDI?
gcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

As stated many times, pull/push/twist every knob, run every appliance on gas & electric if equipped, flip every switch til you know what it operates, have them show you the antenna booster location & scan the tv/tv's for cable & antenna (this has to be done every time you move whether on cable or antenna), run the slides & level system several times, be sure there's a bag in the vacuum & a cartridge in the water filter, run water on the shower doors to be sure they caulked the bottom tracks (this has been a problem since the 1st RW), run ALL the air conditioning & heaters including heat pumps if equipped, have them hook up to sewer & be sure all tanks will drain & all valves work easily, take your time & don't let them rush you, if they don't know how something works tell them to find someone that does & most of all DO NOT pay til you are satisfied with EVERYTHING & DO NOT take their word on anything, #1 they don't know or care #2 once you've bought/paid for it they care even less.
Hope you have plenty of truck, a 3/4 ton ain't enough, 1 ton dually preferably.
Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have & good luck on the fulltiming, for us it's been a fantastic experience, one everyone should try.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

X2
Do not, do not, allow them to rush you. If things don't work, don't fall for the line, "We'll get it fixed while you wait so we can get your money as quickly as possible." Walk away and give them the time to fix it properly.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcooley View Post
Or at least squeezing it....Made an offer, dealer accepted, working out the financing on a 2017 3921 GK. This will be our first trailer, looking to go full time in the near future. Are there any specific things I should be on the lookout for during the PDI?
Congratulations, I think the GK is the best floorplan. I didn't have many issues when I went through my PDI. Several issues came up after using it for a while. Those issues that came up where the result of traveling down the road, loose trim pieces, leak in fridge waterline.

You said this was your first trailer. This was my first trailer. Learning how to drive and maneuver the rig is, in my opinion, the biggest hurdle to overcome. I only clipped on sign post. Drove into a dead end street, once. Back over a giant bush. Had lots of trouble with gas stations. Replaced the top rail of my truck, twice. So for me, learning to drive was my biggest problem. On my second year, and haven't had a issue at all. Knock on wood.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #5

We showed up in Texas to get our Redwood 36RL and had some time to kill the evening before. We decided to sneak a peek. The Dealership sales was open and we walked right in to our unit that was being cleaned up. I found a stack of about 40 forms that had been filled out laying on the counter.

Interestingly - it was a thorough inspection by the Dealer, so they could fix and recover costs from either Redwood or the Transporter. It included things like scratched paint, nails sticking out, even things that didn't work. What we learned is, if Redwood didn't authorize repair, they didn't fix it. We were not supposed to see the forms. Fortunately I took pics of all the forms and pushed back on those repairs to get done, along with some of my own, before we would close. The Service tech smiled with I opened a pic of one of the forms regarding nail sticking up in a floor tile and pointed to the tile to be added to our list.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

I agree with everyone else here. Been in ours over three years full time, and we still LOVE it. Take a notepad or whatever works and make NOTES on EVERYTHING. Check everything. Run all of the faucets, put water in ALL the tanks to make sure none leak (be alert for any wet spots on the ground), turn on all the lights, all the fans, the A/C, the furnace, the heat pumps. Listen for noises that shouldn't be there, squeaks, vibrations, etc. Open and close all cupboard doors and drawers and watch for issues. Operate the microwave.... You get the idea. Hopefully your dealer is good on service, and if it were me, MAKE your service appointment before you even leave the dealership because usually there is a long wait!! Keep that notepad handy and make a punch list of items to fix as time goes on. There will be many things, almost certainly, there always is. Don't try to keep it in your head because service appointments are too few and far between to keep going back for something you forgot!

All that being said, WELCOME to the Redwood lifestyle! We still love ours more than ever and have done many projects to improve her. Keep this forum in your back pocket too!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #7

Agreed on everyone's comments. If there is anything broken or unsatisfactory make the dealer fix it before purchasing the trailer. Its a PITA to check everything but even a bigger PITA to get it fixed afterwords.