Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #21

Bought a 2015 38GK in June after owning a 2012 36RE and would still buy again.
Think that say's it all.

Ron & Margaret
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7, Aisin, 4.10
"Pequod" 2015 Redwood 38GK
Titan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #22

Good choice, the 38GK. My wife and I loved the floor plan also, and all the room in it. We purchased ours last year and have traveled about 3000 to 4000 miles this summer in it. I love the ease of towing it compared to driving our last motorhome. RW's are nice looking 5th wheels. We get a lot of looks and compliments on our RW when we pull into a campground. Many ask about the bedroom slide in slide. Presently I have it at the dealership getting some warranty work done. Now here is were I will find out what many have talked about, the service. These campers, no matter the brand, will have some problems. As long as the service department takes a sincere interest in the repair and does a good job than life is good, but if they don't...well than, life may not be so good. I will comment on my repairs after I get my RW back.
Would I buy another one. Yes we would. I believe Redwoods are a good bang for the buck.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 AM   #23

I purchased 2015 38 GK. The short answer? Yes! The longer answer No not from the same dealer. But that is another story. LOL
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:56 AM   #24

We got out of RVs about 6-7 years ago. Our last coach was a diesel pusher, Holiday Rambler / Scepter. It was a quad slide with all the bells. But when I read the troubles people are having here. Yes, they are important and some of them very serious. Over all I don't think RW is that bad. The unit we had after having it for 2 months I returned to the dealer for service with 100 + items to be fixed under warranty. The dealer was terrific. They spent somewhere around 180 hours doing the list. So even if 80% of the items I have been reading about are true we will still go ahead with the purchase we are about to make. One thing I think is great with RW is the assistance I have received from both Steve and Vinny who are district sale reps. Besides these two we have spoken to at least 5 others at the head office who have done everything to try to answer our questions. Just for info the 38RL we are about to order will be loaded with A - Z except the Induction Cook top. So if I really thought I was throwing money out the window we would not do the deal. Not having owned one yet IMO we feel they are about the best being offered out there at this time.
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #25

We purchased our 39MB in August of 2015. We are spending 3.5 months in Florida this winter, and have pulled it several thousand miles.
We have had a few minor issues with our RW but not a big deal and our dealer has handled repairs as needed. We have a few additional things to get checked out when we get home, but very minor.
We love our RW and this is our third 5 fifth wheel, and had many more serious problems with the 2 prior to the RW.

Good luck with your shopping and you have been given many opinions to consider.
Allen
YogiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #26
Site Team

Ted - I really feel that overall from what I have seen Redwood builds probably the best coach for the $$$. Are there some that are "better", sure, but you're going to spend at least 1 and 1/2 times as much if not twice as much.

We have towed ours more than 20k miles in 3 seasons and now that I am semi retired, it will undoubtedly be many more. As others have said, a few issues but nothing big and RW has been overall great to work with.

Hopefully we will see you at one of the Rallies !

And one last thing - Please do a Dually with that 38RL. You won't regret it in the slightest.

Welcome to our group. It's a great group of people with a lot of knowledge.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #27

RW31SL - Comments from Other Owners

Hi - my wife and I are thinking seriously about purchasing a new RW31SL unit with the rear entertainment center and retractable TV. I'd be interested in anyone who has one to comment on their experiences.
Lanny Ptacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny Ptacek View Post
Hi - my wife and I are thinking seriously about purchasing a new RW31SL unit with the rear entertainment center and retractable TV. I'd be interested in anyone who has one to comment on their experiences.
Hi,

My wife and I own a 2013 31SL with the rear entertainment center but it does not have the new retractable TV. If you have specific questions I would be able to give you more information. We actually prefer the side entertainment system like the 36RL but did not want the longer length. We like the rear picture type window for those sites that back up to a lake or scenic area. We opted for the 31SL for the size and weight. We have lived in a 34foot SOB for up to 5 months and found it perfect for us. If you are going to order, I would definitely get the disc brakes and if the option of a stove only with drawers below is still available I would order that. Storage for pots and pans is somewhat limited. We are not fond of the retractable TV because when you would like to watch TV you will have to try to eliminate any light through the window to see the TV clearly. We know of another couple that have that set up in another brand and hate it because of the light distraction around the rear of the TV. We are not boondockers so we would definitely order the residential fridge as well. Much cheaper to replace in the future.

Rick
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny Ptacek View Post
My new one is shipping from the factory this week!

I will let you know more as we do but I believe the rear window change this year is a plus. I know others said the light was an issue behind the TV but the day/night shade should take care of it and now we have the window we wanted when the TV is not in use.

Larry
xtasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
My new one is shipping from the factory this week!

I will let you know more as we do but I believe the rear window change this year is a plus. I know others said the light was an issue behind the TV but the day/night shade should take care of it and now we have the window we wanted when the TV is not in use.

Larry
My wife and I can't figure out why Redwood insists on placing the entertainment center on the rear wall in the 31SL setup. It makes it difficult to see the TV straight on from any seat. We would love to see them place the entertainment center where the sofa is and place the sofa where the entertainment center is. Then the picture window in the rear would be there and you could see the TV straight on from the recliners.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 PM   #31

the only downside to the side entertainment is between that and the kitchen, there are very few windows on that side.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #32

I do not like the rear entertainment either hate watching TV sideways makes my neck hurt after a while. That is main reason we went to the RL.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
the only downside to the side entertainment is between that and the kitchen, there are very few windows on that side.
That is for sure. That whole side is blind. While my unit is parked in my driveway here at my home I don't have to even look at my neighbor on that side.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I do not like the rear entertainment either hate watching TV sideways makes my neck hurt after a while. That is main reason we went to the RL.
Our last fiver had the rear entertainment center and DW swore she would never have one again for that same reason...
Whenever we looked at new trailers, the first place she would sit was on the edge of the couch and say she can't see the tv from there....
I told her that she watches too much tv, she NO, I get the best seat , and she has to find the best alternative ....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
We think we've decided on the fifth wheel we want.....the Redwood 38GK. We LOVE the floor plan! After all of our research and finally deciding on the 38GK, NOW we find this site and read a lot of complaints about various service issues on the Redwoods. Though we realize any RV could have some issues, would you consider the warranty and service issues on the Redwoods excessive…..or just to be expected? Would you buy your Redwood again? Have you been happy with the construction and performance? Has the company stood behind any problems you may have had? I originally started researching on irv2.com and was surprised to find they didn’t have a Redwood forum there.
Don't do it. Find another brand. The looks are seriously diceiving . Speaking from experience.
wekirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 AM   #36

An update

I'm the original poster of this thread, and I just thought I'd come back and tell you our opinion now that we've taken 3 long trips in our Redwood. Overall, we've been happy with the quality. We had a list of small warranty issues the first year, which our dealer took care of. Since then we've been fairly trouble free. We think you just need to expect a few things will happen each time you take a long trip. The only thing I think Redwood skimps on is the glides on the drawers and pull-out desk. We've had issues with them, but my husband is going to try to fix them himself. Overall, we're traveling 5-6 months per year and we have really enjoyed our Redwood.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
I'm the original poster of this thread, and I just thought I'd come back and tell you our opinion now that we've taken 3 long trips in our Redwood. Overall, we've been happy with the quality. We had a list of small warranty issues the first year, which our dealer took care of. Since then we've been fairly trouble free. We think you just need to expect a few things will happen each time you take a long trip. The only thing I think Redwood skimps on is the glides on the drawers and pull-out desk. We've had issues with them, but my husband is going to try to fix them himself. Overall, we're traveling 5-6 months per year and we have really enjoyed our Redwood.
Yeah understood. But you will see why I said what I did when screws and moldings come out of the walls and slides and things start to fall apart. And literally fall off the walls like crow moldings and bedroom door and bathroom door and shower doors. I hope they don't for your sake. Alot of uf us found out in our first trips what we spent a lot of money on. Best wishes. ☺
wekirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #38

We had a 2014 Redwood 36RL, and I have no sour grapes about it. It was reasonably well built and didn't require any work that my other brands didn't also need. The Redwood was by far my favorite 5th wheel.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote