Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

I'm sure many of you have read the rather disturbing and recent posts which describe poor workmanship issues with RW coaches. Just how extensive were your own PDI checklists? I'm not speaking to the dealer's orientation, or the dealer's own prep procedures. How much time did you personally spend crawling on the roof and floor and storage compartments, working all of the systems, testing circuits, running water, etc., etc.? I know my own PDI checklist will be rather extensive. I plan to arrive early in the morning with my wife. The coach will have water and 50A service available and we'll "go to town" as we split the inspection duties between the two of us. We've scheduled the orientation for 1PM and that should test certain systems even further. If things don't go well, we don't accept the coach at that time. If things go really badly, maybe it's a sign to move on to another manufacturer. I wonder how many of these catastrophes could have been averted by performing a more intense inspection of the coach before accepting delivery. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear about these bad experiences.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

I meant to add that many of today's RVs are just as complicated as a single family home. Banks require that we spend hundreds of dollars for a licensed home inspector (at least in NJ) prior to getting a mortgage. I'm surprised professional RV inspection hasn't become more acceptable. On second thought, maybe there's a business opportunity here somewhere.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Spindrift,

When we got or 38BR last May we were booked for a tour at 1:00pm. The tour was with the owner... he went over every system for 90 minutes and had me try leveling the coach 3 times. He left me alone for 2 hours and my wife and I crawled all over the coach with a detailed PDI list of our own... we tried every system and I used a mechanic's creeper supplied by the dealer to look under the coach. I got on the roof and walked the whole thing.

When I was done, the owner came out and showed my how to hook up the truck and trailer, retract all the jacks, do the circle check of the trailer and truck checking lights, etc. He showed me how to set the gain on my brake controller and then we went on a 15 minute drive on the highway to show me how to turn left and right, brake, and use the diesel brake on my truck. When we returned to the yard he coached me on how to back it up.

At 5:00 we shook hands and left with our new coach... very happy with this dealer... happy with how they have helped us with our QC issues so far too.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
I'm sure many of you have read the rather disturbing and recent posts which describe poor workmanship issues with RW coaches. Just how extensive were your own PDI checklists? I'm not speaking to the dealer's orientation, or the dealer's own prep procedures. How much time did you personally spend crawling on the roof and floor and storage compartments, working all of the systems, testing circuits, running water, etc., etc.? I know my own PDI checklist will be rather extensive. I plan to arrive early in the morning with my wife. The coach will have water and 50A service available and we'll "go to town" as we split the inspection duties between the two of us. We've scheduled the orientation for 1PM and that should test certain systems even further. If things don't go well, we don't accept the coach at that time. If things go really badly, maybe it's a sign to move on to another manufacturer. I wonder how many of these catastrophes could have been averted by performing a more intense inspection of the coach before accepting delivery. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear about these bad experiences.
Lets put things into perspective.

First off you should always ask to camp either in the dealerships parking lot or close by in a camp ground so you can both familiarize yourself with your new trailer and check it out thoroughly. Even then, after you get the unit home or on your first trip you'll be making a list of things that need attention. WELCOME TO RVING......it's not perfect but "it is what it is". As in business, if you see a major problem or defect, DON'T SIGN THE PAPERS. You loose a significant amont of negotiations and power once you've taken possession and given up your money. Once the dealer has your money.....they've completed the sale and they're off to the next customer.

As for all the horror stories....remember there are several thousand Redwoods sold and you're reading a few horror stories. Could it be the RV, expectations or the people.....you choose. Now don't get me wrong...there are some issues and by nature all RV manufactures have them but then again there are some folks that no matter where they go they have problems or complaints.

Story in point.....I interviewed a young woman one day and she told me all her previous bosses were idiots and they weren't worthy of their positions (I censored this ). I simply responded that she was the only common denominator of all those bosses and I didn't want to be the next idiot.

Some folks simply aren't happy people and they get attention by being unhappy or they've learned to get more freebies by complaining loudly. That's life!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #5

Well said Dave.
Kevin & Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #6

After my second PDI, I quickly learned that regardless of what I find, it is going to work fine until I get it home. Don't stress the PDI, listen and learn your coach. They are going to fix anything that is broke, so its sure not worth taking a walk and losing your deposit. Make a list, and make a point of bringing it back a month later after your shakedown cruise.

To me - the most important thing at the PDI is to check for blemishes and damage. Just like taking delivery of a new BMW, you aren't going to worry about the tail-light that is out because you know they are going to fix it, but you will have a hard time getting them to fix the huge scratch you overlooked on the back clip or the tear in the leather once you drive it off the lot because you spent all your time testing the outlets.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Well said guys... some things were there the day the PDI was done and they got missed... other stuff shows up as you rattle and roll for a few weeks. I like to think my stuff showed up later... the back wall of my office was not perfect when I did my PDI but I pressed the tape back down and it looked ok on the delivery date. Flexing on the road all summer made it worse and my dealer fixed it good as new at the end of the season.

The big thing is to ensure you got all the stuff you paid for: tires, axles, brakes, pin box, 2 batteries, 40 lb bottles, remotes for all the TVs and fireplace, manuals, etc.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

Spindrift... that is an excellent point.
While it's unfortunate that everyone needs to do such an extensive PDI, it demonstrates how little attention to detail the dealers are paying to prep these units. Many owners have been sharp enough to detect problems that the dealers overlooked while they were prep'ing for delivery (basically, washing the outside and cleaning the interior). Too bad between Redwood and dealer, you have to be the QC department. Lots of dissatisfaction and blame to go around after the delivery.

Once people arrive on the lot and see the new unit, many people (myself included) get distracted from an objective PDI just when they have the most leverage. Also, checking and demo'ing everything takes a lot longer than you or the dealer feels comfortable with - so there is that added pressure. Make sure they demo "difficult" things like the generator, show you bothbatteries, etc. Water tanks, plumbing, waterheaters, dishwasher & washer are particularly tough if it's been winterized, but make them demo these & then rewinterize - especially if you live some distance from the dealer.

My advice is to get to the dealer early enough to inspect every inch and try every piece of equipment at your leisure - and then make themfix things before (if) you sit with their "closer".
If you neglect the PDI, or the Redwood-specific issues people have listed on this forum, you've failed to protect yourself. Indeed, everything I skipped over or took the dealer's word that it had been tested (like the dishwasher and clothes washer) had a major problem that I could have avoided had I verified.

Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #9

Dave - I concur, there are2-sides to every story and you generally get a better response to a problem with a smile than a large stick, or literary equivalent.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

I have, I believe, the first 39HH sold. The original HH I turned down and then they came up with the design that is on the website. I have had a few issues BUT every one has been answered and fixed. I have owned the RV for a year and if I had to do it again I most definitely would. I use the RV for work and pleasure. I horse show and most of my closest friends spend a lot of their time in RV's. They travel at least half the year if not more with their RV's. I would live full time in my Redwood. I would not in a lot of the other RV's on the road. Just my perspective.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #11

My issues have been more with the dealer than with Redwood. I understand things occur in manufacturing and Redwood needs to improve their process. The issue I have is when a dealer says they tested the systems and upon delivery they dont work, upon taking it in for repairs, they never touched the problem and said they did. How do you re-nail trim without using nails? How do you test lights and have 8 of them not work in the walk-thru? Also when the dealer says "that's the way it is suppose to be" and after talking with Redwood find out it is not supose to be that way and they (dealer)just didnt want to fix it. I have had a few issues but Redwood has been supportive and pushed my dealer to fix it right.
AE New Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #12

Who is the dealer and have you notified Redwood on their poor service?
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #13

Would any of you HMO have taken delivery and have a comprehensive list of things to check be willing to share your list?

Much appreciated.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #14

Google "5th wheel PDI checklist" - there are several very thorough lists there. What tools to bring (flashlight, etc.) and info on how to check every system. I'm planning to review each of them thoroughly, create and print out a list for each of us (my things to check and his) as well as one for the things we need to check together.

And we'll probably still miss some things!!

We'll spend a couple nights near the dealer. Then go on a shakedown (you should pardon the pun) cruise not too far away before we hit the road for an extended trip.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad
Would any of you HMO have taken delivery and have a comprehensive list of things to check be willing to share your list?

Much appreciated.

I found a comprehensive check list on the titanium ownersforum, in Word format. I have saved it and am amending it to be specific to our coach.

Might take another couple of weeks, but your welcome to a copy when complete.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad

Much appreciated.
I found a comprehensive checklist on the Titanium Owners forum. It is in .doc format so I have downloaded and am amending to be specific to our coach.

Might take me another couple of weeks, but you are welcome to a copy on completion.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #17

We purchased our 2012 RW34SK from Lazy Days in Tucson, AZ. They have a great RV park as part of their facility. We were able to get many issues addressed in the five days we stayed at their park. Other issues that had longer lead times were addressed when we could bring the rig in for repairs. Since Redwood is a fairly new company we did purchase the extended warranty. We hope we never have to use it but.....
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #18

Let's see, 3 new Beaver and Holiday Rambler Motor Homes, 2 Airstream Trailers and now our '12 Redwood. PDI was about 50% done on all six products. But I made the mistake Dave pointed out not to do, of giving the dealers our $ before the PDI was completed at all three dealerships. Won't do that again.

That said we took all of our RV's to a local non-dealer service facility and paid ourselves to have warranty work done. Each and every manufacturer reimbursed us for our out of pocket costs, and Redwood had checks to us within ten days. So far I've had better work done by mobile techs and non-dealer service facilities that aren't busy cranking out units.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #19

Bill, I've found the same. Have an Independent Service Center near us and that's all they do is service. Not worried about sales of units. So since it service their only business they have to do a good job to stay in business since they don't have big sales to help cover their overhead. They specialize in total refurb/rebuild of units. They will gut a unit and rebuild to your specs if that's what you want. Anyway they have done good by me so far when I needed something done on our previous Montana that I didn't have the ability to do.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill36re
Let's see, 3 new Beaver and Holiday Rambler Motor Homes, 2 Airstream Trailers and now our '12 Redwood. PDI was about 50% done on all six products. But I made the mistake Dave pointed out not to do, of giving the dealers our $ before the PDI was completed at all three dealerships. Won't do that again.

That said we took all of our RV's to a local non-dealer service facility and paid ourselves to have warranty work done. Each and every manufacturer reimbursed us for our out of pocket costs, and Redwood had checks to us within ten days. So far I've had better work done by mobile techs and non-dealer service facilities that aren't busy cranking out units.

Sorry to hear you've had to have a few things fixed. If you ever need advice on service, send me a private message and I'll try to help.

dave