Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #21

Robert that is funny as that was the exact conclusion we came to concerning the Pinnacle. The floor plans do not compare and the 10 inch frame was a killer. But I must be honest I prefer it over all of the other 5W at the price point. I have been in a lot of them and they always seemed to be a consistent good quality about them. I went in a DRV Tradition that if you lightly leaned against the bedroom wall it would give a few inches. The salesman just grinned and stated it would be better to get a Mobile Suites.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
Robert that is funny as that was the exact conclusion we came to concerning the Pinnacle. The floor plans do not compare and the 10 inch frame was a killer. But I must be honest I prefer it over all of the other 5W at the price point. I have been in a lot of them and they always seemed to be a consistent good quality about them.
Wow, great minds really DO think alike
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #23

Walked thru the 39FL at the Tampa show today.
For a 5th Wheel marketed at a "Fulltime" customer, they really lost a lot of kitchen cabinet space in this version.
Our 38 FL does not have a lot of cabinet space but is ok since we have the fullsize pantry behind the dining table and there is pantry behind the TV next to the refrigerator.
The 39FL pantry behind the TV next to the Refigerator has been eliminated and the pantry behind the dining table has been narrowed down to 1/2 the width of what our 38FL
If you get the Dishwasher option on the 39FL there is almost no kitchen storage left.
I also noticed the bedroom A/C not has 4 vents compared to our 2 vents and the power vent in the ceiling has been removed. Also the rear A/C thermostat has been moved from the kitchen area to the rear bedroom.
The new flush floor front living slides have a new type of geared slide system that I have never seen before, sure do not want to be the test customer for this system.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #24

Rob, I understand thar gear slide is a prototype and that it will be replaced with the cable system going forward.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 AM   #25

Yep, that is what I was told at the Tampa show too.
Feel sorry for the customer that purchases a "One of a Kind" slide system.
Maintenance and service will be difficult on such a unique system.

If I had my choice between the Schwintek Slide system or the Cable System on our Front Living area slides, I still prefer the Schwintek Slide system.
On a small lightweight slide the Schwintek Slide system works pretty good.
Sure see a lot of Cable Slides systems in CGs with drooping / loose cables, even saw a 5th Wheel at a RV Show in South Florida with a broken cable that they were trying to hide.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:59 AM   #26
Site Team

I'm not too crazy about the idea of a cable system but I guess those folks building these units know more than I do.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #27

I don't know what is best, but there is a new Mobile Suit sitting in front of Lazy Days Florida that has cables on the bedroom slide. I think I would rather have the hydraulic like was on our Montana. After all you already have a hydraulic pump onboard. Now on some units that don't have a pump I can see using cables, gears, or some other method, but for RW why not hydraulic. They're heavy enough so whats a few more pounds.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I don't know what is best, but there is a new Mobile Suit sitting in front of Lazy Days Florida that has cables on the bedroom slide. I think I would rather have the hydraulic like was on our Montana. After all you already have a hydraulic pump onboard. Now on some units that don't have a pump I can see using cables, gears, or some other method, but for RW why not hydraulic. They're heavy enough so whats a few more pounds.

I agree completely
Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #29

I'm thinking the reason hydraulic is not used on the bedroom slide might have to do with the problem with running the hydraulic lines under the bed. I knew someone who had an older motorhome with hydraulics in the bedroom slide and they blew a line. Needless to say, the cleanup under the bed was not fun!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy View Post
I'm thinking the reason hydraulic is not used on the bedroom slide might have to do with the problem with running the hydraulic lines under the bed. I knew someone who had an older motorhome with hydraulics in the bedroom slide and they blew a line. Needless to say, the cleanup under the bed was not fun!
Rick,

that was exactly how I understood it to be when Montana first went to cables up top on the front living rooms. Without the bed, no room for the piston.

I wonder if by being forced to go to an alternative slide mechanism for the front living rooms (cable or schwintek) when they were re-introduced, it just became more productive on the line to make them all non-hydraulic on the upper level rather than reconfiguring whenever a front living came down the line.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:05 PM   #31

My prior fifth wheel was a Hitchhiker. Been around a long time and a very well respected manufacturer. My bedroom slide was some sort of electric slide. Never ever had a problem with it but there was not much storage under the bed due to the mechanics of it. I think, if hydraulic would've made sense, Hitchhiker would've used it long ago in their bedroom slides. I think the schwintek and cable slides are the "in" thing now because they can allow for storage under the bed and in the case of the front living, there are no ugly rams or arms at eye level. where would you hide them?
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:11 AM   #32

The change on the FL from the Schwintek to the Cable system is because they are doing a flush floor slide system in the Front Living area.
The Schwintek will only go straight in and out, for a flush floor slide, the slide has to raise up when coming in thus the need to change to a Cable system.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #33

Rob,

Redwood is using the cable system for the smaller slides in ALL their coaches, they still use the Schwintec system for the slide-in-slide.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #34

Yep, the slide in a slide has the Cable system on the larger part of the slide and the Schwintek on the smaller part of the slide.

If when we were shopping for a new 5th Wheel, Redwood had been using the Cable system, we would have probably moved on and kept looking.

I am just not comfortable with the frequent opening and closing of the slide with the Cable System.
I am not saying the Schwintek is a "Great" system by any stretch, but just less of a fan of the Cable System.

What it boils down to, if you do the build the slide right, build the trailer right and install the slide system right, both are pretty good systems.
I think the Cable system will take a little more miss-alignment and error than the Schwintek system will, which is probably why they switched to it.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #35

You know I really like our 2015 - 38FL, not such a fan of the changes in the next rev of the FL floor plan. Just hope things get worked out when we need to upgrade in a few years.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #36

We like the layout, features and functionality of our 38FL, I hope is serves us well for next few years.
Heading down to Lazy Days in Tampa in a couple of weeks to get water leaks and a few other warranty items taken care of, sure hope the service goes well, tired of getting dripped on in the bed when it rains.
My biggest concern is the water leaks !!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #37

I still like the cherry and the dark furniture. It just feels more like home.
danmeeks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticman1957 View Post
I like the layout, but not to sure about the light colors. I would have to see in person. Thanks for sharing.
That's why things are offered in different colors.......awaiting delivery of our 39MB in the same shade (urban clay). We like the fact that it "brightens up " the interior of the coach. As the old saying goes "to each his own" !
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #39

Understand about the interior. A year or so ago, RW was offering a Light Cherry that we really liked, but must have more expensive or just didn't go over well. So we just went with the standard Cherry, no offence but the Urban Clay just didn't do anything for us and with 4 Black and Silver Fur Balls running around stayed with the dark funiture
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #40

We opted for the light cherry too, we really love it.