Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Two things holding us back from purchasing a Redwood #1 is a Residential fridge ,I will not have a Dometic or Norcold (both are unacceptable in a "fulltime" rig" ) #2 Quality control instead of pumping out a set # of rigs slow it down a bit and build it right, now I do realize there will be issues to some extent,when people throw down a good size chunk of change they do it so they aren't running back and forth to the repair shop....Redwood in its short historyseems to have a winner in my book I like vitually everything about it, the 2 small little things that seem to be missing at this point if corrected will make me a owner....just my.02
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Does any RV company put a residential refrigerator in their coaches? Does a "residential refrig" run on 12 volt and propane? If it only runs on 110 volts how do you travel and use the refrig?
Blenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Site Team

There are RV's that use residential style refrigerators but they are usually motor homes due to the weight. However I believe New Horizons 5th wheels use them but they are VERY heavy and VERY costly.

Motor homes can run their generators supplying 110 to the refrigerator while going down the road easily because they run off of the same fuel as the engine of the coach. 5th wheels on the other hand use LP generators that can be used while being towed but because of the costs of LP, it isn't something that people usually do.

Good luck on your search

Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #4

Forest River putsthem in some of their models. From the pricing I have saw, they are actually cheaper and bigger sized than a normal rv elec./propane fridge. They run off of batteries and and inverter so no need to have a genny for one.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Hopefully they will only offer this as an option. Not sure how many people want a big, heavy, ugly residential frige in their 5th Wheel kitchen. There are scale issues to think about. Not sure Redwood wants to do a complete spacial and system redesign to pick up 1 additional customer. Hope not...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingman

Forest River putsthem in some of their models. From the pricing I have saw, they are actually cheaper and bigger sized than a normal rv elec./propane fridge. They run off of batteries and and inverter so no need to have a genny for one.
I was referring to the weight and costs of the New Horizons trailers....not the refrigerators.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #7

Residential fridges retain cold better and they also get colder quicker , so I know it will be added weight ,batteries and an inverter,but when I go fulltime (in less than 2 years) I won't be moving around very often, and when I do move if I can get 4 to 6 hours of cooling power out of batteries I should be fine, I'm just saying I would like it to atleast be an option
Edited by: Defiant
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Then One solution would be buying either the "HH" or the "BR" model. With these extra rooms you can put a full size refrigerator or anything else you want in them. That way you would have the best of both worlds.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Hopefully they will only offer this as an option. Not sure how many people want a big, heavy, ugly residential frige in their 5th Wheel kitchen. There are scale issues to think about. Not sure Redwood wants to do a complete spacial and system redesign to pick up 1 additional customer. Hope not...

Might be 2 customers. From the ones I have saw in 5th wheels, they look to take the same room but since they don't have the propane can offer a bigger fridge for the same space. Don't see a system redesign as they wouldn't have to run a propane line, just electric, which is already there. And as far as looks, yea a stainless/or solid blackresidential fridge to match the rest of the appliances sure is ugly compared to a good looking rv fridge withwood front panels.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

The NuWa Hitchhiker currently has them as an
option altho the Hitchiker line is soon to be extinct.</span>

Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vblarry

The NuWa Hitchhiker currently has them as an
option altho the Hitchiker line is soon to be extinct.</span>
There are some benefits to a residential frig. But I don't think they would work for the majority of the RV users. The factories have only limited flexibility on the production lines and unfortunately the manufactures have to produce products the fit the majority of the customers.

The good news is that there are manufactures that custom build RV's.