Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #1

Exclamation Is our Purchase History confidential or NOT?

Hi, All,

May I ask about dealer confidentiality...AFTER the sale?

SCENARIO: I have my used 2013 Redwood 36FB up for sale, and (after I named the specific dealer from which I purchased the 36FB), a potential buyer later claimed that they had called that dealer, spoke with the sales manager, and the sales manager provided details of how much I had actually paid for my Redwood 36FB, as well as what options I had in the trailer I had purchased.

QUESTION: Aside from the dollar figure described being much less than I actually paid, is it true that dealers will provide that information to a complete stranger on the telephone? I would think such info would be confidential...at least just from a standpoint of basic ethics.

Or is all of this just what some potential buyers think is a "clever negotiating strategy" (versus just a way to annoy a perfectly good seller and queer the deal)?

Regards,

Robt.
Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:01 AM   #2

I would not expect a reputable dealer to give out that kind of information. It sounds like a made-up negotiating tactic to me.

Mark
Old 07-05-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
S&K

Why would a dealer do this? He is not the selling agent and it wouldn't benefit him/her in the least to give information out about a past sale.

I'd call your dealer. Ask for the General Manager and check to see if this is something they allow their sales staff to divulge.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

That sounds like a deal I would walk away from. Potential buyer sounds like they would be a pain.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #5

No potential buyer has any idea of how much we have done to these units to make them #1 RIGHT #2 easier to use (doors etc) #3 safer.(tires and other mechanical upgrades etc) and most of all the love that our units have received by a majority of all the members I have read on this forum. Let them walk. We paid a fortune for these units and I for one will live with it until I feel a fair price is arrived at. Good luck and I hope you can find out about the back stabbing dealer or if it is a ploy. Sometimes buyers can loose a great deal by being too smart.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Team

I would simply make a list of all the upgrades and problems fixed along with the price. If they don't see the value....let them walk away.

The decision has to be made as to when and how bad you want to sell. In my case I lost my shirt when I traded the Redwood but I figured I was making it up on the other end. It becomes a personal decision as too how long to wait for the perfect price.

I tend to believe that some people put their dreams on hold for a relatively small amount of money because they get into the selling game of getting every penny. I made that mistake myself many years ago with a house and it took 1.5 years to sell it. Never Again

Happy trails
Old 07-05-2015, 05:33 PM   #7

I've recently sold a couple items a lot less valuable than your RW & both times I got calls/text from buyers who were total idiots, basically your stuff is scrap & you're trying a screw them with such an outrageous price. One of the items I gave away, but not to any of those jerks. If in fact your dealer gave out that info I would report them to the BBB & maybe a lawyer.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #8

That's a good question -

I wonder if the Dealer was trying to draw in the customer by throwing out some arbitrary figures on yours.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:09 AM   #9

Thanks, Everyone...for your helpful info. The potential "buyer" did make a way low offer, which I didn't take. I'm fortunate in not having to sell right away.

I'm thinking I'm getting calls from used trailer dealers...just trying to get a low price on a good product.

Robt.
Mr_Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
Hi, All,

May I ask about dealer confidentiality...AFTER the sale?

SCENARIO: I have my used 2013 Redwood 36FB up for sale, and (after I named the specific dealer from which I purchased the 36FB), a potential buyer later claimed that they had called that dealer, spoke with the sales manager, and the sales manager provided details of how much I had actually paid for my Redwood 36FB, as well as what options I had in the trailer I had purchased.

QUESTION: Aside from the dollar figure described being much less than I actually paid, is it true that dealers will provide that information to a complete stranger on the telephone? I would think such info would be confidential...at least just from a standpoint of basic ethics.

Or is all of this just what some potential buyers think is a "clever negotiating strategy" (versus just a way to annoy a perfectly good seller and queer the deal)?

Regards,

Robt.
I wouldn't think that a good dealer would open themselves up to possible troubles. I suspect the potential buyer is working you over. If you have he original sales agreement than a copy to the buyer should be all that is required to support what you paid. In our area we paid sales tax on our RW purchase which also provides documentation for tax purposes and could also support your sale numbers if you have the tax info.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #11

IMHO the prospective buyer has NO business seeing any of your original purchase, if you choose to share that with the actual buyer that's your decision, but some chucklehead calling you on the phone, NO WAY!! I would almost guarntee several callers will be dealers wanting to low ball you.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #12

I really don't think a dealer would give that info out to a prospective buyer unless he is the one selling your used RV. There is no benefit to disclose what you paid for the unit unless he over inflates the figure to try to convince the buyer to buy new instead of used. I think you are being played. I have in the past, asked a dealer to get me in touch with the prior owner of a used unit when being sold by the dealer. I found that most individuals are willing to give you info about the unit such as , problems with the unit. The dealer really doesn't know the specifics of the unit like the prior owner does. When I traded my SOB for the Redwood Ireceived a call within a week from the new owner. He had questions and I was more than happy to fill him in on specifics.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote