Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #1

Fulltiming in a Front Living ????

Fulltiming in a Front Living ???, going to look at a Redwood FL next week.

I have been weighing the pros and cons of fulltiming in a Front Living.

From what I have read on this forum, the Redwood is a great 5th Wheel for true fulltime use, we like the pictures of a Front Living on a Dealers website so we want to stop by and see it when we are in the area next week.
rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #2

We have a 36FL and although not technically full time we spend many months on the road. The floor plan is excellent for us and the new 38FL floor plan has a couple of changes and is slightly longer.

The biggest negative is limited storage, although starting with the late model 14's they added extra storage at the rear.

We gave up the option of a W/D as I shelved the cupboard in the bathroom, which provides extra pantry space and storage for dog and cat food, etc. We are very happy with the FL and could easily full time in it.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

We're one other of the few FL owners on the Forum. We plan to full time at some point but still need to pay off many college educations. It's all about your particular lifestyle. Many folks wouldn't be caught dead in an FL. It just clicked for us and I'm sure you'll feel the same...one way or the other.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

We have been Fulltime for almost 3 years in a SOB 5er and love the lifestyle, we are currently in TX leaving this morning heading east completing a Coast to Coast trip.

Having a Stackable Washer / Dryer for us in our current 5er has been great, we love having them.

When we go to look at the Redwood FL, anything we should look for or be concerned about?
Any option or feature that is a "Must Have" when fulltiming?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #5

The style you choose is simply a matter of preference, and any member on the forum why they chose toe model they did...you'll get an answer that is mostly based on personal preference.

You have to make the choice yourself, but the folks here can certainly help in that...you've already heard one of the biggest issues for those with FL's, the storage.

We have an FB, one of the big factors for me is the size of the shower, the FB [only one at the time we bought that had the larger shower] had the larger shower, the others didn't.

If we were to buy now we would probably choose the 39MB, you'll here others here say they don't like the MB because they feel the 1/2 bath is wasted space, for us it's a plus as we have frequent overnight guests and the 1/2 bath would be a huge plus for us.

So, go look, while there look at the other models. Look with the eye of a full timer, consider everyday comfort, feasibility, storage, creature comforts...you too will soon find your favorite and for you it will be the most logical choice. And...ASK QUESTIONS, as I said, we are proud of our Redwoods and will be more than happy to lend an ear!!
Old 06-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

If in North Texas go by ExploreUSA in Canton. Tx - they had a bunch the last time we stayed out @ Mill Creek RV Ranch
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
lwg

I love the FL's but just not the Redwood. Something seems off to me compared to what I've seen with others, take the Cardinal 5th Wheel for example. When I walked into that Living Room/Man Cave I was in heaven. The TV is on the front with nice big couches on the side, visibility of the TV from the kitchen. Seems like a little thing but I like to be able to watch TV while cooking.

To be fair though, I haven't technically walked through a Redwood FL, just looked at pictures.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwg View Post
I love the FL's but just not the Redwood. Something seems off to me compared to what I've seen with others, take the Cardinal 5th Wheel for example. When I walked into that Living Room/Man Cave I was in heaven. The TV is on the front with nice big couches on the side, visibility of the TV from the kitchen. Seems like a little thing but I like to be able to watch TV while cooking.

To be fair though, I haven't technically walked through a Redwood FL, just looked at pictures.
And this, folks, is what we mean when we say it's all personal preference.

Having the TV in the slide out is just one of the things that we enjoy most about our FL. You can slouch in those delicious lounge chairs and watch the TV directly in front of you without developing a crook in your neck.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
And this, folks, is what we mean when we say it's all personal preference.

Having the TV in the slide out is just one of the things that we enjoy most about our FL. You can slouch in those delicious lounge chairs and watch the TV directly in front of you without developing a crook in your neck.
Good point. I guess we just have gotten used to it with the 38BR, TV is not directly in front of any of the chairs.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #10

As in most floorplans there is always some give and take.

There is just the two of us an one small puppy dog, we do not have company very often so one bathroom is enough for us.

We will get to see the FL the end of next week, will spend some time in it and see if it works for us.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 AM   #11

My wife and I will start fulltiming this fall, the 38FL clicked for us, in that we tend to like our bedroom away from traffic at night when in a back in space. We also like the fact that the bedroom being on the lower level is cooler in the evening which we like better then a warm bedroom on the higher level. Now for the Livingroom, positives being on the front of the coach on a higher level it's warm and cozy on those cold evenings it also feels more like a traditional home rather the an RV when set up. I know this floorplan isn't everyones cup of tea but the more we use ours the more we like the setup.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_fla View Post
As in most floorplans there is always some give and take.

There is just the two of us an one small puppy dog, we do not have company very often so one bathroom is enough for us.

We will get to see the FL the end of next week, will spend some time in it and see if it works for us.
We have somewhat similar circumstances, but have 2 large dogs and a cat. The FL floorplan works really well for them. We cover the couch with a sheet and that becomes their seat. They don't like visitors, as they then get relegated to the floor.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana View Post
We have somewhat similar circumstances, but have 2 large dogs and a cat. The FL floorplan works really well for them. We cover the couch with a sheet and that becomes their seat. They don't like visitors, as they then get relegated to the floor.

Sounds like a couple of pooches I know.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #14

As I said...personal preference. Thats why the RV manufacturers have several different floor plans!!!
Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Traveling

x2 here. We like the directly-across-from-tv lounge chairs, and have NO USE for a sofa-bed. We even debated the space the sofa takes up, but it IS nice when people come by. It's a very comfortable sofa too, and love the storage drawer under it for the extra dinette chairs. Everyone lives differently, there certainly can be no wrong answers. We sat in our model (and other models) a LOT and tried to visualize the feel of them in a full time setting. Turns out, it worked because we are extremely pleased with our choice. SURE there are features in the other models that we liked and had to go without: LOVE the GK's extra pantry! But didn't want that sink in my bedroom! LOL. Some people LOVE the extra sink. Just depends.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #16

Agree - one of the have to have's for us was the recliners across from the tv leaving the large rear window @ the back in our 38gk !!!

And even though the previous 5er had a disappearing tv so that we could look out back, our necks are just now relaxing from having to watch tv from the side in our previous 5er
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #17

We went for the 36RL for the reason that we could not see the TV while in the kitchen too. It is a personal preference for sure!
JohnEileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStonePark View Post
My wife and I will start fulltiming this fall, the 38FL clicked for us, in that we tend to like our bedroom away from traffic at night when in a back in space. We also like the fact that the bedroom being on the lower level is cooler in the evening which we like better then a warm bedroom on the higher level. Now for the Livingroom, positives being on the front of the coach on a higher level it's warm and cozy on those cold evenings it also feels more like a traditional home rather the an RV when set up. I know this floorplan isn't everyones cup of tea but the more we use ours the more we like the setup.
This is the same reason I considered upgrading to the FL, on the rare occasions that I have to work the night shift I thought it would be quieter during the day away from traffic. I have an RE right now and I am really pleased with it.