Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
S&K

I am new here. Don't own a RV yet, but knew we would get one eventually. Started looking over 10 years ago, now it's looking like we're in the market for one in the next 3-6 months. Done a few outings looking at what was available, and the Redwood really impressed us.

The three dealerships that we visited always had the different models with and without full body paint.

How important is it to consider this option? It is a huge chunk of money towards the bottom line. Is it worth it?

Pros/Cons??

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Site Team

We can't discuss prices on this forum anymore but I think it's safe for me to say that you should shop around and compare the painted with the non painted units. I think you'll see the prices aren't as different as you might think.

I love the painted units because they're easier to clean and they will hold their value better.

Happy Trails
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #3

I'd say a lot of it depends on how long you plan on keeping your coach. If you are going to trade it in every few years, might not be worth the investment. If you plan on keeping it 6-8+ years, I'd recommend it. As Dave mentioned - the full body paint is easier to keep clean and with a little maintenance, it will look new for years to come. All comes down to personal choice...

Dave, what do you mean we cant talk prices anymore?? When did this rule engage? (Not looking to start an argument or war with anyone, I am just curious).
Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Team

I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
You would think since most people buy them because they are high end full time coaches they would be on the road and campgrounds mostly in the elements. At least the ones that are will tell how much of a high end coach they really are. We will see.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K
I am new here.Â* Don't own a RV yet, but knew we would get one eventually.Â* Started looking over 10 years ago, now it's looking like we're in the market for one in the next 3-6 months.Â* Done a few outings looking at what was available, and the Redwood really impressed us.

The three dealerships that we visited always had the different models with and without full body paint.

How important is it to consider this option?Â* It is a huge chunk of money towards the bottom line.Â* Is it worth it?

Pros/Cons??

No one can really tell you if it is worth it, outside of yourself. Some would argue the money spent on a truck and RV isn't worth it

We went with paint for a) looks, b) durability. We don't full time, so the Redwood never sees the light of day most of the time, so obviously for us looks was a priority over durability. However, it will be nice not to worry about peeling decals and yellowing exterior parts, even though we may have inherited other issues. Who knows.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
Quote:

You would think since most people buy them because they are high end full time coaches they would be on the road and campgrounds mostly in the elements. At least the ones that are will tell how much of a high end coach they really are. We will see.
huh?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. I belong to a few (probably too many) online forums and I do try to stay current with all the rules and policies to make sure that I am in compliance. Looks like I missed this update. I'll have to go back and scan through them again. Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
S&K

Thanks for all your responses. (D&G, Enroute, Blenhardt, Buddy and Atom Ant)

We're the type that wants to get "the full life" out of things, so we would be keeping this for a while. Makes sense to get the full body paint as it will pay for itself over the years (5-10).

So, after asking that... and seeing we don't own an RV, what do people usually do if you are retired, perhaps full-time RV'ing... and getting new rigs? How long do you hold onto them? When is a right time to trade them in?

Thanks!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K
Thanks for all your responses. (D&G, Enroute, Blenhardt, Buddy and Atom Ant)

We're the type that wants to get "the full life" out of things, so we would be keeping this for a while. Makes sense to get the full body paint as it will pay for itself over the years (5-10).

So, after asking that... and seeing we don't own an RV, what do people usually do if you are retired, perhaps full-time RV'ing... and getting new rigs? How long do you hold onto them? When is a right time to trade them in?

Thanks!

S&K
Our intent is to have this rig for at least 10 years. We are Canadian and the medicalinsurance</span></span>coverage travelling to the US is very expensive, and after you hit 70, which is 10 years from now for us, it will be totallyunaffordable.At that time we will have to travel elsewhere more</span>affordablemaybe??</span>
</span>
Dan</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #11

We are also Canadians and this is our first ever RV, which we plan to keep for 10 to possibly 15 yrs. We got the full paint, as with proper maintenance the exterior of the coach should be in better condition as it ages.

We are restricted to 6 months out of BC per year, so will probably spend 6 to 9 month in the coach.

The paint does cost, but long term we believe it to be worth the investment.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

We went for the full body paint. When we first started looking, we thought we wouldn't. Hence the white truck (darn!!!). But by the time we got done with all the upgrades, it seemed silly to skip the one thing that really finished the whole look - and the durability and resale tipped the scales for us. So glad we did. We figured that when we were going to have that much into it, we might as well go for The Full Monty!!
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #13

We opted for full paint for two reasons... one, the paint should age more gracefully and two, my wife wanted it.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Site Team

This is our first RV also. After looking a lot, we decided that we really wanted the full paint. Don't regret it in the slightest.As others have said, do some serious shopping and negotiating.Now I can't wait to see what the new Kodiak Brown and Tan Dually is going to look like when hitched to the brown and tan RL ! get the new truck on Thursday.

S&amp;K - from the experiences of many (myself included), if you're going to do a Redwood, do a Dually as a truck.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #15

We opted out of the full body paint as this option would have put a Redwood out of our price range.

2014 36RE on the way.

Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
Dan

We chose to the paint it just finished off a "luxury" coach

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #17

Full body paint will pay off in the long run. Just feel the difference between the two.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #18

We saw our first RW without paint when driving past a dealer's lot yesterday. Same great coach, but no "Wow" factor. It just blended in with the other 5'ers.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #19

We went full body paint after fighting with the decals on our Montana for years. Spent a full weekend pulling faded peeling decals off the nose, wet sanding polishing and waxing. Then the sides started. Nothing I did helped or slowed it down. I loved being able to wash and wax the rig and not worry about the decals. Faded decals make the rig look old.
USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #20

full body paint

Long term durability.....Pride of ownership.....re-sale.....you get the extra cost of the paint back when you sell and during ownership.....it cleans up much easier and looks great.....Nothing like spending endless hours on a ladder buffing and waxing faded gel coat on a conventional RV....something I have had experience with and loath....Without full body paint I would not have purchased our Redwood....Wes
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote