Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
S&K
Senior Member
 
S&K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 295
I am new here. Don't own a RV yet, but knew we would get one eventually. Started looking over 10 years ago, now it's looking like we're in the market for one in the next 3-6 months. Done a few outings looking at what was available, and the Redwood really impressed us.

The three dealerships that we visited always had the different models with and without full body paint.

How important is it to consider this option? It is a huge chunk of money towards the bottom line. Is it worth it?

Pros/Cons??




__________________

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,375
We can't discuss prices on this forum anymore but I think it's safe for me to say that you should shop around and compare the painted with the non painted units. I think you'll see the prices aren't as different as you might think.

I love the painted units because they're easier to clean and they will hold their value better.

Happy Trails
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 216
I'd say a lot of it depends on how long you plan on keeping your coach. If you are going to trade it in every few years, might not be worth the investment. If you plan on keeping it 6-8+ years, I'd recommend it. As Dave mentioned - the full body paint is easier to keep clean and with a little maintenance, it will look new for years to come. All comes down to personal choice...

Dave, what do you mean we cant talk prices anymore?? When did this rule engage? (Not looking to start an argument or war with anyone, I am just curious).
__________________
2014 Ram 3500HD Longhorn
2013 Redwood 36RL
Enroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Blenhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 638
I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
__________________
2013 Redwood 34SK, 2017 F350 Dually
Grain Valley, Mo
Blenhardt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
You would think since most people buy them because they are high end full time coaches they would be on the road and campgrounds mostly in the elements. At least the ones that are will tell how much of a high end coach they really are. We will see.
__________________
2012 Ford F450 Lariat FX4 dually, 2013 Redwood 36FB Red and Black Painted
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K
I am new here.* Don't own a RV yet, but knew we would get one eventually.* Started looking over 10 years ago, now it's looking like we're in the market for one in the next 3-6 months.* Done a few outings looking at what was available, and the Redwood really impressed us.

The three dealerships that we visited always had the different models with and without full body paint.

How important is it to consider this option?* It is a huge chunk of money towards the bottom line.* Is it worth it?

Pros/Cons??



No one can really tell you if it is worth it, outside of yourself. Some would argue the money spent on a truck and RV isn't worth it

We went with paint for a) looks, b) durability. We don't full time, so the Redwood never sees the light of day most of the time, so obviously for us looks was a priority over durability. However, it will be nice not to worry about peeling decals and yellowing exterior parts, even though we may have inherited other issues. Who knows.Edited by: atom ant
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
You would think since most people buy them because they are high end full time coaches they would be on the road and campgrounds mostly in the elements. At least the ones that are will tell how much of a high end coach they really are. We will see.
huh?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I agree with with Enroute, Kinda depends on how long you plan to keep your coach. It also depends somewhat how your coach is stored. If it will spend most of the time outside in the elements then the paint will stand up better. The paint is the same base/clearcoat used on automobiles and will stand up to the sun better than the gelcoat alone.

The rules were revised on June 3rd and among other things do not allow posting of dealer pricing.
Thanks for the quick response. I belong to a few (probably too many) online forums and I do try to stay current with all the rules and policies to make sure that I am in compliance. Looks like I missed this update. I'll have to go back and scan through them again. Thanks!!
__________________
2014 Ram 3500HD Longhorn
2013 Redwood 36RL
Enroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
S&K
Senior Member
 
S&K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 295
Thanks for all your responses. (D&G, Enroute, Blenhardt, Buddy and Atom Ant)

We're the type that wants to get "the full life" out of things, so we would be keeping this for a while. Makes sense to get the full body paint as it will pay for itself over the years (5-10).

So, after asking that... and seeing we don't own an RV, what do people usually do if you are retired, perhaps full-time RV'ing... and getting new rigs? How long do you hold onto them? When is a right time to trade them in?

Thanks!
__________________

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #10
Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K
Thanks for all your responses. (D&G, Enroute, Blenhardt, Buddy and Atom Ant)

We're the type that wants to get "the full life" out of things, so we would be keeping this for a while. Makes sense to get the full body paint as it will pay for itself over the years (5-10).

So, after asking that... and seeing we don't own an RV, what do people usually do if you are retired, perhaps full-time RV'ing... and getting new rigs? How long do you hold onto them? When is a right time to trade them in?

Thanks!

S&K
Our intent is to have this rig for at least 10 years. We are Canadian and the medicalinsurance</span></span>coverage travelling to the US is very expensive, and after you hit 70, which is 10 years from now for us, it will be totallyunaffordable.At that time we will have to travel elsewhere more</span>affordablemaybe??</span>
</span>
Dan</span>
</span>
</span>
</span>
__________________

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.