Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 AM   #1

Extended warranty? Do you have?

Our new 38GK will arrive mid-March. We understand some people get an extended warranty. Would you recommend getting it? I read here on one of the forums that many people use Good Sam. Is there another option? Our dealer offers one through USA Travel. And the last question is....we already have a 2-year full warranty. Must you purchase the extended warranty when you purchase the unit, or can you buy extended warranties when you are nearing the end of the 2-year warranty that comes with the unit?
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:35 AM   #2

My recommendation? If you feel the need for it, why not simply put the $$ that you would use for monthly pmts. for an "extended warranty"(actuallyinsurance) into a rainy day "savings" account ? Personally I don't have an extended warranty & grew so tired of all of the marketing propaganda from Good Sam's that I decided to not renew my membership with them. If something fails after my warranty expires I'll just bite the bullet & pay for it.
Duramax, Allison Tranny, 62 Gal. Titan Tank
2016 39MB 5.5 Onan, Residential Package, Goodyear G114's, Mor/ryde heavy duty Shackle/bushing upgrade.
Rosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 AM   #3

We waited til 2 year expired then bought GS, paid one year & canceled. My short answer is NO! I think it's a personal choice depending on your financial situation, handy man skill level, & most importantly your patience tolerance. I don't have the patience to put up with the submitting, waiting on approval, waiting for someone to order parts, scheduling, I'd rather do it myself & not to brag, but in my opinion I can/will do a better job than most techs that don't give a hoot.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #4

We bought our RW from a private party, therefore, we did not have a factory warranty. Thought it best to purchase a warranty because we are not do-it-your-selfers and are living in it full-time. We bought an XtraRide Platinum policy. Shortly after purchasing it one of our A/Cs went out and we had no problem with the claim to replace it. We'll have to see after 3 years if we come out ahead with the policy or would we have been better off just paying for repairs from savings.

2014 36FB, 2012 F350 DRW,
Onan, Washer/Dryer, Dish Washer, Satellite Internet, Comfort Ride Hitch
Current location: Ozarks, MO
Marilyn H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

We too bought ours used from a private party. We purchased a GS policy to cover any major problems. The local RW dealer highly recommended buying a policy based on the high costs of some individual components such as a fridge, AC, furnace, etc. If I had bought new I would not buy an extended warranty but rather have saved the cost on a monthly basis to handle nay repairs after the factory warranty went out. I did not want the shock of spending that kind of money on a used unit and have a costly surprise. I liked the GS for the monthly cost, they are not going anywhere, and I can cancel at any time. Have not used it yet!
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Normally I would never get them, but because of some of the challenges get Redwood to cover their own warranty about a year ago, we decided to go with GS.

We have $200 deductible in the summer, and $500 in the winter for storage, which cuts the cost in half about. it is good for 5 years (after our 2 year ran out) and renewable for as long as we own it. The big hitters that bothered me (even with a savings plan) were the fridge, leveling system, generator, furnace, etc. Beyond that, I get to call who I want, rather than take it into the Dealer to wait in line.

Not for everybody, not even for me up until last year.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #7

We have a extended warranty on the RW for 5 years after the 2 year MFG warranty. it has a 250.00 deductible. I had the same coverage on my first MH back in 2008 and when the Leveling system went out it covered the whole 9K to have it all replaced. We figured that we had over 20K worth of warranty on that MH alone got our money out of it.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

I agree it is a personal choice. I had xtraride on my last unit and broke even. I purchased a new policy a year after I purchased my RW, coverage is 5 years from RW warranty. If I break even again I will be happy. However with hydraulic leveling, generator and two airs I feel better with the coverage. I would absolutely not recommend GoodSam. Would heavily recommend Xtraride or Portfolio Protection. Have used both with no problems at all in coverage, all of which have been with moble services.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingmitchells View Post
I agree it is a personal choice. I had xtraride on my last unit and broke even. I purchased a new policy a year after I purchased my RW, coverage is 5 years from RW warranty. If I break even again I will be happy. However with hydraulic leveling, generator and two airs I feel better with the coverage. I would absolutely not recommend GoodSam. Would heavily recommend Xtraride or Portfolio Protection. Have used both with no problems at all in coverage, all of which have been with moble services.
Intrested in why you state you do not recommend GoodSam.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #10

I would not get any extended warranty except from one of the big hitters as these 'insurance' companies have a tendency to shut down (a lot )

Xtraride, good sam, Wholesale Warranties are all reputable and will be there and IMHO, I WOULD recommend getting one based on my experience with even new units. but to each his own based on your comfort/handyman level and crystal ball skills
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
Intrested in why you state you do not recommend GoodSam.
I'm curious too. Haven't had to use mine, but wondering what negative experience you have had.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I'm curious too. Haven't had to use mine, but wondering what negative experience you have had.
I have not had to use mine either. I was wondering if I need to give Marcus a call
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #13

I've used Good sam on current coach
and while it covered both my bay heater and entry steps,
They said my Sani-con hose leak (sewer) was a maintenance issue !?!

and they only pay a certain portion of shipping, etc...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

THANK YOU everyone! I'm just seeing these responses. Is there a way I can set up my account such that I get an email when there are responses to my question? I didn't know anyone had responded. I've looked and can't find a way to do that.

We've already called Good Sam for quotes, so now we'll check in to these other companies. And yes, roamingmitchells.......I'm also curious why you so strongly recommend against Good Sam.

And atom ant.....that's a brilliant plan.....to reduce your deductible when you're not on the road. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM   #15

I looked for the settings on my account, and I DID have my account set up for 'INSTANT EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS'. So I wonder why I am not receiving emails. They are not going in my trash folder....of that I'm certain.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #16

Going in Feb !6th to Mc Georges in Ashland Va, for our 1year warranty check, so far just a few small issues to deal with, going to check my paperwork as everyone talks of a two year warranty, but I am sure the dealer told us one year, probably did'nt have my hearing aids on that day, anyway we also have Route 66 & GS, a little over covered, will more than likely drop one.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #17

GA 1817, I had Goog Sam on my truck. Worst experience I have ever had. Raidio went bad. It was a bose system. GS refused to cover for the replacement cost of a remanufactured unit because the cost was $1,900. They stated it was to much. I got five estimates which all were within a $ 100. of each other and they still refused. Although the contract stated refurbished units would be used and covered. Finally won, but not worth dealing with any further. Hope that helps.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:37 AM   #18
Site Team

Here are my experiences with purchased warranties.......

The sales person says their wonderful and can't be beat......selling off of fears

The warranty company looks for reasons to deny any claims which in turn saves them money.

The burden of proof is on the purchaser, who in the end gets screwed
Old 02-14-2016, 04:08 AM   #19

I had an extended warranty for my last motorhome which paid off by replacing a slide motor, frig, and transmission work. I have an extended warranty with my RW and with the cost of fixing things in these RW's I just feel better having it. Some will say stick the money in a savings account, others say it can be difficult getting the warranty company to pay for work. I just say, do want ever makes you must comfortable.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #20

We have XtraRide Platinum extended warranty on our Redwood. They have been great. We had several claims submitted: fridg repair x3, blk dump valve replaced, slide seals replaced, micowave/convection oven replaced, propane leak detector replaced, AC motor replaced...never had a claim denied, hassle free. Would definitely go with them again for extended warranty policy.
Bob and Debbie (both retired) with Senior FurBabies Grizz (a German Shepherd mix) and Bailey (a Lab mix)...and sometimes a Grandkiddo or 2! Full Time RVers since July 2013 Redwood: 2012 36FL with sliding patio doors
Tow Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD with 6.6 DuraMax Dually
Grizzby is offline   Reply With Quote