Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Is everyone comfortable with the "E" rated tires on their rigs. I'm considering a 36FL and I'm not real crazy about the tires. I'd rather have the "G" or the 17-1/2" "H" rated. Has anyone had a blow out with their "E"s.????
travelinbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #2

Travelinbob, there is extensive opinion on this subject on the forum... You might want to search for the word "Marathon".
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

Travelin Bob, I personally would not accept any of these heavier rigs with "E" rated Chinese tires and this was confirmed by a Commercial Goodyear Tire Dealer. I upgraded to the "Gs" shortly after we got our previous Montana and they were one of the first things on the order sheet for our RW36RL. Now after being on the scales and realizing who heavy we are, I'm getting quotes to upgrade to 17.5 wheels and "H" rated tires and will upgrade the suspension to the MorRyde IS in the spring. We travel a lot during the summer and 2014 we have a summer long trip planned (Florida to Western NY, across the country then North to Alaska, back down the West Coast and do the Western Parks, ending up at the Balloon Fest in Oct, then back to Western NY, then South back to Florida) with lots of miles and I don't want to worry about tire issues. Some will say this is extreme or overkill, but for me it's peace of mind.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinbob

Is everyone comfortable with the "E" rated tires on their rigs. I'm considering a 36FL and I'm not real crazy about the tires. I'd rather have the "G" or the 17-1/2" "H" rated. Has anyone had a blow out with their "E"s.????
There are a few things I'd like to recommend for your new trailer.

#1 G rated tires

#2 the air pin box (this really helps with the ride and I'm going to be putting one on my RL this spring if not before)

#3 the 8k axles ( I know this is an over kill but many of these trailer tend to get heavy and for the price it's worth it).

#5 The disk brakes. I've pulled trailers for the last 35 years and this is the first with disk brakes. I'LL NEVER GO BACK! These truly are wonderful and really gives you a piece of mind. I can bring my rig from 70 mph to a complete stop rather quickly while keeping the rig straight.

Good luck and Merry Christmas

dave
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

X2 everything Dave said, we have everything except the 8K axles, andBrian actually talked me out of them and as a result that's part of the reason we'll upgrade to the IS. If you've towed with conventional Electric Drum Brakes, you won't believe the difference with the Disc. After we put the disc on the Montana, I vowed to never have another rig without them.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771

X2 everything Dave said, we have everything except the 8K axles, andBrian actually talked me out of them and as a result that's part of the reason we'll upgrade to the IS. If you've towed with conventional Electric Drum Brakes, you won't believe the difference with the Disc. After we put the disc on the Montana, I vowed to never have another rig without them.
Sorry I have to add onto your post but something is wrong with the forum where I can't start a new post myself.............

All of these extras do add up in the money department but remember, now is the time to get these and then work a deal with the dealer. You can usually get 30% off the total deal on a new trailer which makes these extras much less expensive. If your dealer won't work with you, find another. I had 3 dealerships all offering about the same deal.

I might be be shopping for a new BR unit this spring and I'll go the dealer that offers the best deal. In my case my dealer hasn't seen my trailer since it left the lot. The difference in prices between some of the deals I saw were originally $20,000.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #7

I totally agree with Dave & Ginny. We made up our option list, sent it to a number of dealers -- some local, some elsewhere on the east coast (based on recommendations here, on the forum). Original prices -- justas Dave & Ginny reported -- varied by about $20,000. We ultimately got more than 40% off the list price
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

Bob, we own a 36fL. I had to replace 1 tire after 9K miles and had a blowout on 2 others after 20K. I upgraded to 14 Ply G rated tires (Sailun tires) and Sendel Wheels model T04. Both the tires and wheels are rated at 3750lbs each. If we had the opportunity to purchase 8K axels when we bought the coach we would have upgraded to the 8K axels. We purchased our coach in Jan 2012 and took delivery last week in Feb 2012 We traveled over 20K miles in our coach from 1 June to 25 Oct 2012. We replaced 3 tires in that timeframe and gave the coach a workout. We are looking to upgrade our axels/suspension next year (MorRyde) and upgrading our pin box to the TrailAir pin box (we currently have the trailAir rotaflex). We are also looking the change the plumbing schematics to allow use of the 2d gray tank (it is currently plumbed for use only by the washer and dryer which we do not have) My email is coljdm60@gmail.com. If you want to communicate outside of this forum I will entertain any discussion regarding our coach/performance/upgrades, etc. Hope this helps, John Moors
Old 12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #9

8 k axles, disc brake, and g rated tire a must,
At time of purchase did not get them and I am sorry.
Concours12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #10

Our BR came with G614's standard
Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #11

I hope redwood continues with that option as standard as well as the 8K axels
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #12

I think the G614s are only standard on the BR.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 AM   #13

In addition the towing vehicle is as important, A 250 or 2500 isn't enough truck if you do have a blow out, etc. I have a 2012 ford f450 duely fx4. I don, t really know my 2013 Redwood fb is back there.