Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

DRV Mobile Suite 38 PS3

We have a buyer for our house in Baton Rouge and are going full time and moving our RV address to Florida. We decided to order a DRV Mobile Suite 38 PS3 through Rolling Retreat in Oklahoma. It is almost identical to our Redwood 36 FB but about 3,000 pounds more, really nice with the moryde IS.
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
Site Team

DRV does make a nice unit
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Didn't I read somewhere that DRV has been recently purchased? Nice units. We saw probably five of them recently between Mississippi and Louisville.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Didn't I read somewhere that DRV has been recently purchased? Nice units. We saw probably five of them recently between Mississippi and Louisville.

As of this year it is Thor.. Papa Bear !! !
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #5

Thor was the big daddy, but wasn't it Heartland?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Thor was the big daddy, but wasn't it Heartland?
Brad, yes, DRV has/will fold in to Heartland. The deal allows DRV to operate as a stand alone entity in their own facility for five(?) years. At that point who knows???
0nTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
We have a buyer for our house in Baton Rouge and are going full time and moving our RV address to Florida. We decided to order a DRV Mobile Suite 38 PS3 through Rolling Retreat in Oklahoma. It is almost identical to our Redwood 36 FB but about 3,000 pounds more, really nice with the moryde IS.

I am also looking at making the switch to DRV - congrats on your new coach. I hope it provides you many happy/trouble free miles ahead.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #8

It's a funny thing. When we were shopping for our RW, we specifically looked at the DRV. I distinctly remember that the fit and finish in a couple of places were "off". The issues could have occurred at the factory, or enroute to the dealer. In either event, we figured that someone didn't care enough about the product to make what I thought to be simple repairs prior to putting the coach on the lot for customers to see. In the end, we learned that at the time, DRV didn't have a front living room model so we passed. I just learned that DRV is introducing their first FL model this year. Hmmm....
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
It's a funny thing. When we were shopping for our RW, we specifically looked at the DRV. I distinctly remember that the fit and finish in a couple of places were "off". The issues could have occurred at the factory, or enroute to the dealer. In either event, we figured that someone didn't care enough about the product to make what I thought to be simple repairs prior to putting the coach on the lot for customers to see. In the end, we learned that at the time, DRV didn't have a front living room model so we passed. I just learned that DRV is introducing their first FL model this year. Hmmm....
My thing is why do they think FL people want 2 couches? They don't put 2 in any other floor plan.

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #10

Another one to look at is Grand Design, they are the only company that sends their trailers to an inspection yard directly from the factory instead of the dealer, if it fails the inspection it goes back to the factory for repair instead of the dealership yard, I wish I knew about them before I bought my Redwood, although the larger part of my dissatisfaction lies on Camping World of Flagstaffs shoulders
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Az
You can not blame problems on Redwood if they are dealer issues. When we bought ours they had every model of redwood and every model of DRV sitting side by side. We had looked at new trailers for a year. It came down to Redwood, DRV and Luxe We bought ours because it was the best bang for the buck. The quality of this one was as good or better than the other 2 for 35% less msrp. It is all in what you want and are willing to spend. Dealers are a non issue when buying an RV as the majority of them can't tie their own shoes let alone fix something properly and in a timely fashion
Old 09-02-2016, 01:18 AM   #12

yes love the quality check ideas.. almost ordered the dallas from drv, but hindsight is 20/20.. we have toured and looked seriously at a Continental Coach from Forks RV... a touch more pricey but they build them right (from what i have seen), and the custom build is the best part!!!! now to upgrade to a f450.. or hauler..
mesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:46 AM   #13

Shane I totally agree with you, but I called RW when I got nowhere with the dealer, and they turned out to be just as bad, I spoke to another dealer that will be doing my warranty work now, and they no longer stock RW on their lot because of their consistent drop in quality control, that is from a very large dealer that has been in business much longer than Camping World, so I tend to believe the professionals.
azcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:07 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Az
If their lips are moving , you know the rest. Call Crossroads and ask for Chris Pfeifer and he should be able to help you
Old 09-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #15

Redwood Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcamper View Post
Another one to look at is Grand Design, they are the only company that sends their trailers to an inspection yard directly from the factory instead of the dealer, if it fails the inspection it goes back to the factory for repair instead of the dealership yard, I wish I knew about them before I bought my Redwood, although the larger part of my dissatisfaction lies on Camping World of Flagstaffs shoulders
I, too have a lot of heartburn with Camping World. I have been to 3 of them for service and have not been happy yet. My dealer was not a Camping World, but they were just as bad.

RW is establishing an independent inspection facility at the factory that is long overdue. I hope it helps.

As for your Sequoia, I have had very good luck contacting Crossroads directly. It sounds like you really need a service center appointment.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:00 AM   #16

DRV and Augusta

I looked long and hard at the DRVs before buying the RW 38RL. We just liked the floor plan of the RW better and it was a few bucks less money. I have heard that DRV has also had some quality control issues, but I'm sure they are working on those, as RW appears to be.
Augusta makes a "Luxe" model and I went on their site and priced it with what I now have on my RW. List was near $200K! They do not have dealers, and sell their products at a discount from list, but they are really high end.

They have some impressive Gross Vehicle Weights, so there must be a lot of beef over those wheels.

I have yet to see one on the road or in a park.
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 AM   #17

IMHO from all the folks I've met/visited with all across the country with every brand/ make/ model/price that they ALL have quality control issues, some more some less than others, but in the end they are ALL built by people whose only concern is getting their quota out the door & let the dealer/consumer fix what they didn't do.
I'm very sorry AZ to hear about all your problems & sincerely hope someone from RW chimes in with a solution, I've had a great experience owning ours & maybe you will once the headaches are taken care of.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:32 AM   #18

I saw a Luxe parked at my local campground here in CT. Visually, it seemed somewhat plain and semi-impressive. Might have been very nice quality, but you can't tell much during a drive-by.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #19

I heard that RW is implementing this same kind of final inspection.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
I heard that RW is implementing this same kind of final inspection.
It sure would be nice if they did but I think most things aren't found until they are actually used in real life.