Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
Traveling

Dealer Applied "Coating"

when we do go to pick up our coach, we are going to be asked to purchase a protective coating for both the interior surfaces and textiles and the paint outside. Generally I consider these a waste of money. But I thought I would ask the forum if anybody put any faith in this protective coating they try to sell you. I cannot remember the name of it but they already tried to sell it to us at order. Thanks.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #2

Never heard of a protective coating, wasn't offered anything like that by our dealer before, during or after delivery. Just was in for our first annual, nothing was offered then either.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:53 PM   #3

Absolutely, They offered it to me I think it was $1300.00 My wife bought into it hook line and sinker so we got it. Does it work who knows. but they guarantee the paint won't fade and the fabric will never stain. I have the coach a month we'll see in a year or two. They knew my wife was responsible for all cosmetic parts of the rig so anything cosmetic was asked to her explained to her and she TOLD me what we were going to do.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Traveling

very helpful thank you. You know I've seen a lot of faded decals on rv's over the years but I do not ever recall seeing faded paint. Maybe on a 25 year old old Winnebago or something. We won't own our redwood that long! as far as the carpet goes 1300 dollars to protect carpet that isn't even worth that much seems a bit steep to me. The furniture is vinyl! I think I'm going to pass on it. I actually wish they did offer a fabric sofa I would have paid more for that. Then the coating would have made more sense.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #5

A lot of that type of stuff is pushed by Dealerships as there is a really good profit margin in it. We generally pass on such add ons as they generally offer poor value for price paid.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #6

They claim they did the four dining chairs, the valances, all the carpet, and the exterior full body paint. If it does what they say I would have paid that just for the exterior alone. But it will remain to be seen. The couch and recliners are vynle. I never want to wax the exterior so I was hoping that the coating would help keep that from happening.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
Site Team

We too were offered the special coatings and declined. The Redwood coaches are painted with automotive base/clear paint and in my opinion will not fade. Just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #8

We decided to do it and there was a bit of overspray on the outside, up under the windows etc. that they did not wipe off. Can't attest to the exterior just yet as far as protecting the paint.
As far as the carpet goes ?? Well, a full glass of red wine came up with nothing but a damp towel, and when Toby, the 100# lab decided to "christen" the coach, that came up just fine too.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #9
Traveling

We also went ahead and started our own research into our insurance and all that, so they don't keep us in there with that... That is definitely something to be researched outside of the sales office! We can just tell them we already have it. I hate all the "add on" stuff they pressure you with... "Oh... you want KEYS with that?" Thanks everyone... helps us a lot. NOW if they would only GITTERDONE!! <can you tell? We are going CRAZY waiting>
Old 05-01-2014, 12:42 AM   #10

I have had it done on some of my cars and my last 2 RV's. We had Platinum Protection Systems done for $995.00

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #11

These are ceramic coatings, you can buy them yourself for around $150.00 for exterior and about $75 would do the interior. They last on average 3-5 years and do help protect the paint and furniture. Biggest enemy of Clearcoat paints are UV rays so a good UV protectant is not a bad idea. I use a wipe on walk away sealant that lasts about 6 months, easy as towel drying your coach, and it gives me a chance to inspect the exterior for issues as I do it. There are tons of fabric protectants that work well. I say save the $1200-$1500 for something better.

As for insurance we just got ours from Blue Sky they were about 25% cheaper than everyone else for the same coverage.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #12

We had a 7 year coating put on ours. We do not have the full body paint, so my hope is to prolong the life of the decals. We are into year two now on the coach and here is what I've seen so far. The coating appears to be working very well on the sides of the unit. I've had an unbelievable soft smoothness to the coaches painted surfaces since the day they sprayed it to now. That being said, the coating did not help prevent the common fading on the front and rear caps of the 2012 models. In fact my unit is currently at the dealer getting the front and rear cap repainted/gelcoat under warranty. I had contacted Redwood prior to my warranty expiration and requested a note be placed in my file that I had fading. We are full-time and were volunteering so we could not take the unit in before the warranty expired.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #13

We had Blue Sky the first year, got a notice that they were changing underwriters and the cost was to increase so I did some more shopping, we ended up moving to GEICO who already had our truck insurance.

FYI... one of the biggest factors in insurance is where you are domiciled, we are tagged in Florida so GEICO is a good deal there, may not be the case for other states. Bottom line, you have to shop around for your own situation, insurance is one of those things that will be different in almost every instance.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #14

TNBaker,

Should we add the fabric sofa to the wish list for the rally?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Traveling

I would. I think its a lot of vinyl in the living room! It looks nice, but a fabric sofa is also nice.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #16
Site Team

I don't really believe in all the extras that the dealerships try to push. I do recommend a good orbital buffer to keep the scratches off the sides.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/cyclo...-polisher.html This is the one I have and I love it.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
I don't really believe in all the extras that the dealerships try to push. I do recommend a good orbital buffer to keep the scratches off the sides.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/cyclo...-polisher.html This is the one I have and I love it.
Great point.
For the cost of the dealer applied coating you can buy a good random orbital buffer, some pads , wax or sealant, buffing compounds or what ever and buff scratches and apply waxes and sealants much easier. It will keep the RW looking brand new!
This is the one I used and also love it.
http://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html
Use it on my cars as well as the RV.
Blue Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Polishing the Redwood has become a hobby of mine. It helps take the stresses off my mind. I polish and while my wife reads.

The Redwoods always look great when they shine!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #19

Dave when I was in the service we called it rag maintenance. I love the feel when your done. Besides this gives you the opportunity to check your entire exterior.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 PM   #20
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
We had an issue when we first seen our unit. There were 'whispy- spidery' appearing marks on the walls of either side. Funny how the dealership couldn't "see" them, but I did persist at the PDI and asked why this hadn't been addressed. After a few weeks, they did hear back from Redwood, and we can schedule taking it in for buffing out.

Honestly, I'd rather buy a buffer and try to buff it out before I send it back to the dealership, so thanks for the suggestion.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote