Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Considering a used 2011 36RL from PP

Hi! After our motorhome burned to the ground in May we decided to replace it with a 5th wheel. We found a 2011 36RL (it was posted as a 3821RL, which appears to be the wrong model number) in another state and are supposed to head down there to inspect it next week. I also saw a 2012 of the same model, but the interior was not good.

Questions:
Is the 2011 a good model year?
What should we pay particular attention to in the inspection?
What size truck do you recommend to tow it (long bed, short bed, 1 Ton?)

We’re trying to find out as much as we can before making the 1400 mi trip. The owners seem kind of clueless so we are proceeding with caution. Any information would be helpful and very appreciated.
Thank you so much!

We’re the Nearys
Almost homeless...LOL
We’re the Nearys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #2

There are few things to look for
#1 if it isn't full body paint, the front and rear caps are probably faded.
#2 if it has original Gy Marathon tires change them out before towing it anywhere.
#3 they are prone to have poor grease seals on the hubs which lets grease leak into the brakes.
#4 the 36rl is pin heavy around 3400lb. I pulled my 2012 36rl with a 3/4 ton not a rewarding experance. I now pull with a 1t drw. A 1t srw would be at its limits.
#4 My 2012 36rl that bought new has been an ok trailer. It has about 60k on it now still going strong. I have installed dic brakes, upgraded the springs to 8k springs and upgrade tires and wheels. Good luck in your search.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #3

First thing is you'll need, definitely want, a 1 ton dually as the Redwoods, especially the RLs, are pin heavy, So do the dually & have 1 less worry.
The 2011 is the 1st year of the RWs & in my opinion the models up to about the '14-15s seem to be better build quality.
In those 1st few models be sure in the RL to check under the bed that the washing machine water lines & drain are connected properly & not kinked, several had their bedroom flooded with 1st laundry load. Also that the bottom of the shower door has been caulked. These items were 2 items that seemed to show up on all & that still show up on RWs today.
One other item I can think of in those years was on the unpainted models, the front & rear caps tend to fade badly & the only sure cure was to have them painted, if the owners were very lucky they got them painted under warranty, but many did not.
travelin' texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #4

While 2011 would be a good year, I would approach with caution. 3821 sounds like a Montana model number, so do they have a Redwood or Montana. At that time there was also a Blackwood, a more entry level version of Redwood, but I know any of their model numbers.
We owned a 2012 36RL and it was a great unit and we were one of the first with the Washer drain hose under the bed pulling apart and flooding the Bedroom. And has been said they are Pin Heavy, several members bought RLs and started with F350 SRW TV and shortly upgraded to DRW TVs.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #5

Looks like the one in Stuart FL. Looks like it has a new roof as the edges are not painted (this is probably a good thing). I noticed that all the furniture is covered in covers. If it is original furniture you do not want them anyway. Onan generator is a plus. Price makes me cry as it shows how much they drop over the years. I once had a dealer tell me to stay away from any RW with a serial number less than 400. I do not know his reasoning except that they did have some start-up issues. I personally would look it over good, make sure everything works. I would examine the roof very carefully and the underside of the slides as well, especially at the ends. If solid you will love it. I would agree with others comments on tires, disc brakes, etc. Use it as bargaining tools. Keep in mind that if it is the one I think it is it has been for sale for over 200 days which is not unreasonable.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:00 PM   #6

I think before going 1400 miles, I would at least request a close-up of the sticker on the Left Front corner, between the Basement door and the Propane door. It would have all the important info, VIN, Model Number, Date of Manufacture, Carrying Capacity, etc.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA1817 View Post
Looks like the one in Stuart FL. Looks like it has a new roof as the edges are not painted (this is probably a good thing). I noticed that all the furniture is covered in covers. If it is original furniture you do not want them anyway. Onan generator is a plus. Price makes me cry as it shows how much they drop over the years. I once had a dealer tell me to stay away from any RW with a serial number less than 400. I do not know his reasoning except that they did have some start-up issues. I personally would look it over good, make sure everything works. I would examine the roof very carefully and the underside of the slides as well, especially at the ends. If solid you will love it. I would agree with others comments on tires, disc brakes, etc. Use it as bargaining tools. Keep in mind that if it is the one I think it is it has been for sale for over 200 days which is not unreasonable.
If I recall there wouldn't be any with a vin# less than 400, the 1st one was numbered 1400 as the last 4 numbers of the vin.
travelin' texans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #8

You are right Danny. I had forgot about that. I think the salesman I talked to also stated to avoid the first 200 instead of 400.
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #9

There are plenty of weird things about that unit and it's sale. Model number is wrong, listed as a bunk house to sleep 6, the video looks like a child walking through the unit with their phone on. Pictures do at least confirm that it's an RL.
I think it would be well worth the money to hire a third party to go over the unit with a Fine Tooth Comb.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #10

Thank you for all your comments!

Thank you for all your comments. We are not buying the 2011 unit, for a variety of reasons. So we are still looking.
Thank you again!
We’re the Nearys is offline   Reply With Quote