Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silcottjd View Post
Ok before I went out and bought the 2011 36RL Redwood I Queried on this forum and most agreed my 2012 2500 HD Silverado was plenty of Truck. I have pulled the 5Th wheel from Atlanta GA to Kansas City empty and was only disappointed with Chucking. I Believe that a new pin box is going to take care of most of that if I can believe Lippert.

Today I have read more experienced RVs and you all are saying 1ton Dully. I don’t really want to buy a different truck! Please explain why or why not please.

Thanks for any advise!!

I have 2012 36RL (built in Sept. 2011). I travel with the coach rather lightly loaded compared to most folks. When I had the coach weight at the 2015 Redwood rally, the pin weight was 3400 lbs. which was 750 lbs. over the payload rating of my truck which is a 2011 Dodge RAM, 3500, longbed with SRW. I couldn't afford to trade trucks so I have continued to tow with what I have. But, I don't drive over 60 mph and I keep the coach loaded as lightly as possible. We are currently pulling the coach less than 3000 miles each year.

Although you can tow the your coach with the 2500, I would strongly urge you to upgrade your truck to a 3500 DRW as soon as possible.

Hope this helps.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #22

I also tow with a SRW , but a "15" F-350.... Tows great, handles great, stops great, performs great....

With that said,

I would never want to tow one of these Redwoods with a 3/4 ton..... WAY TOO much weight ....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #23

towing

The Tow Vehicle subject gets a lot of mileage and controversy in forums like this. Clearly, there are heavy 5th wheels that are only meant to be towed by a dually, something like a heavy DRV Mobile Suite or huge toy hauler. Everyone that pulls with a dually will tell you how "unsafe" it is to tow RW's with a SRW. That simply isn't true. Most of those owners have their dually as their dedicated truck, with the sole intent to pull their RW. I'm not against dually's, they're just not going to fit my needs, nor do I want to be shamed into or made to feel guilty for driving a SRW. My truck has a dual purpose, pulling my RW and also handling the needs of my business. A dually simply wouldn't work for my business and likewise, it isn't necessary to tow my RW. I've logged in over 35K miles the last 6 years all with a SRW, and never with an incident. In addition, I met a semi truck driver this past year who hauls his RW with a SRW F-250, but has air-lift shocks in place. He's got a larger RW than my 36RL. Point is, he feels it is very adequate and he's a semi-driver. He also drives safely, doesn't overload it, doesn't speed and has good tires on his TV. That's all critical. Prior to and including 2016, the Ford Superduty's had C channel frames. Today they're equipped with box frames which are much stronger and more rigid. Hence, the higher tow rating. Ford is not alone, all 3/4 and 1 ton manufacturers of trucks are getting better engineered with stiffer frames and higher tow ratings. This argument will not end here and there will be others that will weigh in. It's one of those subjects that gets everybody fiesty.
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silcottjd View Post
Ok before I went out and bought the 2011 36RL Redwood I Queried on this forum and most agreed my 2012 2500 HD Silverado was plenty of Truck. I have pulled the 5Th wheel from Atlanta GA to Kansas City empty and was only disappointed with Chucking. I Believe that a new pin box is going to take care of most of that if I can believe Lippert.

Today I have read more experienced RVs and you all are saying 1ton Dully. I don’t really want to buy a different truck! Please explain why or why not please.

Thanks for any advise!!
So I am going to try not to be abrasive so please understand I am trying to help !

If you look at my photo next to my forum ID you will notice I have a 2016 crew cab 3500 single wheel truck 4x4. With our 2015 redwood RL38 on the scales was at 26,600 lb total weight with food and water (solo trip) My pin weight with fuel water was 3600lbs in the bed of the truck. My point to this is I have spent $3200 +on 19.5" tires and wheels to avoid a blow-out (this doesn't include the $1700 I spent on 4 continental HDR 19.5" tires that made the truck drive like chit) LEARNING curve . So back to the topic , My truck has 11500lb rating and 25,400 combine rating (back axel is limited to 7,000lbs due to tires, spring ect.) the 2500HD has a even lower rating so Please reconsider your tow vehicle, The fords run a larger tire then GM and they are 3850 lbs per tire the GM truck have 3520lbs tires so look at that not just single vs duel . I have air bags ,19.5 tires rated at 4900lb each tire , disk brakes in the trailer to get it to stop and I still feel my next truck will be a duel rear wheel truck and its my daily driver. Not that I want it because its cool in the kids eyes but towing safely is my primary goal. Towing a redwood RL trailer 50 miles or less fine I get it 300 mile trips maybe think about it. If you want to see the tires and wheels I have I can send you a photo , just want to help get you and your family home every night.