Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 11:36 PM   #21

They can't find anybody that knows anything. Most kids today run when they see a wrench.
Yes it was good money. Since I was contract it was an hourly rate with overtime. Lots of 72 hour weeks. All bills paid, rent car, hotel, meals, etc. Probably the same as everyone.

I'll see how Midland and Hobbs compare to scenic Laredo. Jeez the stuff I saw down there. An hour drive north of Laredo. In the middle of nowhere. Ten miles from the border and next door to George Straits ranch.

I spent 35 years in the Deer Park refinery. It was always budget budget budget. Out in the oil field it was "are you finished yet?" What budget??

This may not go anywhere, we'll see.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Well I got to the bottom of it today. Seems a few days ago the owners came and got the 5th. Apparently their consignment contract had run out. Salesman said they wanted it back and wanted to use it. So I wouldn't have had much luck buying it anyway.
I was cooling off about it. The satellite install with the roof perforations kinda gave me the heebie jeebies.

I'll keep my eyes open for another Redwood.
I had a very similar / BAD experience with PPL after spending 2 months back and forth with them on a 2014 31SL. I’ll never consider doing business with PPL after my experience. They have a bottom price from the buyer and they won’t go past it. And they lie about repairs they supposedly took care of. I had a 3rd party inspector to come in and look the rig over really good and it not in the condition they said it was. Batteries missing : board missing off leveling system / sales person was absolutely clueless and had no business trying to sell RVs.

Definitely keep looking. They’re out there. FB Marketplace, Craigslist, RV Trader, RVT and more. I would NEVER consign anything with PPL. They don’t do any online advertising. I happened across the listing for that 31SL on like page 4 of a google search and could never find it again. I guess they are ok for locals but not for people looking online. Left a really bad taste in my mouth for sure.
libbywebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #23

Thanks for the info. Their sales manager was good, too good. The salesman didn't know a RV from his elbow. It didn't break my heart when they said the owners came and got it off their lot. I'll keep looking. Maybe more action in the spring when folks are trading for new units.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:00 PM   #24

The 2017 3401rl
PPL lied to you, I bought that unit in July. I was in that area looking at a Lifestyle and did not take it because of a water stain at roof line inside. I have not had a chance to use the RW yet but have wax it ( needed badly ) and did some little things. I had PPL install a W/D and they screwed it up ( partly my fault for not understanding what they were going to do ) and decided not to let them fix it. Put in local shop to fix and took over a month to get back at a cost of course, a costly mistake. I will be going to Florida in a couple weeks. I question the Westlake tires and the insulation factor. turn heat on during the day to 65 while putting in shelf liner, then turning it off and the temp will be in the 20's inside in the morning. You are correct in the nickel and dime that they manage, I do not think I would purchase again from PPL. It is not my DRV that I had but hope this RW will work out.
chugsonja@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #25

Hot dang. This is a weird story.
I ended up finding bigger liars than PPL! ExploreUSA in Alvin, TX. I bought a 2018 Landmark Oshkosh from them. A little bigger than we wanted at 40ft. Probably about the same build quality as Redwood. Just got back from towing to Charlotte NC for sprint car races. I don't have any BIG issues, TV latch broke, gas strut on awning failed. I have it in the shop now for installation of slide out toppers. I suspect my Morryde pinbox rubber spring has failed, so I have a new one that is the next GVW size up, 18,000+. The Landmark is rated at 18,000 and I just scaled it at 17,400, so I may be at the limit of the Morryde spring.
Good hearing from you! Good luck with the Redwood, it sure looks good!
Old 12-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #26

Small world, bought our 2010 DRV from Explorer USA in Mesquite TX. wish I had not totaled it. Explorer USA not what I would brag about, after sale not overly concerned. I also worked in Midland back during the oil boom late 70's or early 80's ?? Question - I have 50 amp plug here at the house do I need a battery minder or will the Inverter keep batteries charged properly and not over charge them for long periods. This morning the temp was 5 and not our cold month yet. THANKS
Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugsonja@msn.com View Post
Small world, bought our 2010 DRV from Explorer USA in Mesquite TX. wish I had not totaled it. Explorer USA not what I would brag about, after sale not overly concerned. I also worked in Midland back during the oil boom late 70's or early 80's ?? Question - I have 50 amp plug here at the house do I need a battery minder or will the Inverter keep batteries charged properly and not over charge them for long periods. This morning the temp was 5 and not our cold month yet. THANKS
Unless you have a residential fridge you have a converter not an inverter & yes with it plugged into shore power it will keep your batteries charged without the aid of a maintainer.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:12 AM   #28

This RW has a residential frig with a 1000w inverter. Everything works lights, heater,sound sys etc. with the batteries totally out of camper so I could take them out for long term storage if the inverter would over charge them. My DRV was the opposite having a converter and rv frig and nothing would work with out a battery. The only thing that I can tell that does not work without a battery are the main slides. So I can leave every thing off and the inverter will maintain battery properly for long term? Thanks