Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

back up camera

After researching RV wireless backup cameras, I'm leaning on purchasing one from either Tadibrothers or one from Rear View Safety. Both have good reviews and very similar in design and features including HD and split screens for multiple cameras. Decided I wanted an LCD monitor at least 5-7 inches. I do know that the Rear View Safety is exclusively used by many of the RV manufacturers, but most of those are "hardwired" cameras, not wireless. I welcome input from anyone out there that has had experience with these. Thanks
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #2

If you have a choice, go wired.

I have the wireless and the only thing it is good for is backing.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Over time, I've had good success just using whatever DRV uses.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #4

Lippert / Furrion has a Back Up unit and an Observation unit Camera System-High Speed Observation and Backup System
do not get confused..

On the monitor it says either "Observation" or "Back up"
I have both units also the cameras can not be mixed with the monitors.

With the observation unit you can connect only 1 camera and it will work no problem while driving down the hiway. It is great especially for changing lanes.
With the back up unit you can attach 2 cameras and switch between the 2 by pushing a button. (A or B). If you use it when driving over 50mph you can get picture breakup.
The Observation is about 100$ more than the back up. What I like is they are small cause it gets to a point you can't see the road from the junk around you.

Here is some info for your installation....If you plan on installing the camera under the center clearance light on the flat wall where the tree decal is (as I did) "be careful". There is a steel support channel that runs vertical and if you drill in the center of the coach you will be directly in it with no way out but by doing the following. Pop out the curb side clearance light and then drill side ways towards the right lamp. Then you can fish over to it. Then you can take your power from the lamp. Yes your lights need to be on while using the system. When Lippert installed my camera for about an hour they were freaking that they might have to replace my rear cap. If they could not drill over to the lamp for power. Hope this helps.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:26 AM   #5

Wayne. Thanks for the informative write-up.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

I did a slightly different install than Wayne. I got my power from the truck rather than the taillights. I installed a hard wired Tadibrothers rear view mirror monitor. The cable they supplied came with a video and a power cable. My Ford has upfitter switches for power so I tied into them for the power. The video cable was easily routed through the headliner.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Wayne.
I mounted mine up top just under the center clearance light after you told me about yours at the rally. Had no problem with it
Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
After researching RV wireless backup cameras, I'm leaning on purchasing one from either Tadibrothers or one from Rear View Safety. Both have good reviews and very similar in design and features including HD and split screens for multiple cameras. Decided I wanted an LCD monitor at least 5-7 inches. I do know that the Rear View Safety is exclusively used by many of the RV manufacturers, but most of those are "hardwired" cameras, not wireless. I welcome input from anyone out there that has had experience with these. Thanks
At this year's rally I purchased the Lippert Furrion wireless observation camera and installed it there. It worked great both on the road and when backing. Lippert has two backup cameras. One is intended only for backing up and the other for on the road and backing up. They both look outwardly the same however
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #9

I can't speak for the Furion, but the Rear View Safety wireless camera is fine for backing, but fails miserably as a continuous monitor camera. The static or fixed background picture associated with backing up is easily transmitted to the monitor, but going down the road it can't keep up with the changing background and the picture locks up or just fails to blue screen.

We returned the Rear View Safety wireless in exchange for wired and problem solved.

Another observation we had - the field of view was limited, so the camera was either looking down at whatever was being towed by the Redwood, or looking back on the road for lane changing, but it couldn't do both. Had I the opportunity to do it over, I would have went with a dual wired camera system with the two cameras stacked so I could see the Jeep in the back and see the road behind me.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
I can't speak for the Furion, but the Rear View Safety wireless camera is fine for backing, but fails miserably as a continuous monitor camera. The static or fixed background picture associated with backing up is easily transmitted to the monitor, but going down the road it can't keep up with the changing background and the picture locks up or just fails to blue screen.

We returned the Rear View Safety wireless in exchange for wired and problem solved.

Another observation we had - the field of view was limited, so the camera was either looking down at whatever was being towed by the Redwood, or looking back on the road for lane changing, but it couldn't do both. Had I the opportunity to do it over, I would have went with a dual wired camera system with the two cameras stacked so I could see the Jeep in the back and see the road behind me.
Sorry your experience was not good. Ours has been great in all respects.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

We had the Furion installed by our RV dealer before we could request another brand. (I purchased a Tadi-Brothers unit myself, but too late) My experience with Furion is, it's a poor quality picture on a small screen and find it overall useless. Furion is developing a larger screen set to be in the marketplace this spring. Having a second person on a phone or walkie-talkie helping you navigate your blind backend and using your side mirrors, is better IMO. Anybody interested in a Tadi-Brother backup camera system?
TireMinder TPMS monitor/Slide covers
Fusion backup monitor
PullRite Superglide 2900 Hitch
woodman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #12
Site Team

The way that technology changes, I would really look and compare the lines and resolution of the cameras. My rear camera at times gets very "grainy" and the new rigs come now with much higher resolutions and a better pictures quality. Yet my unit is only 2 years old!
Old 12-31-2016, 04:33 PM   #13

The fellow here with the '17 KR F450 has cameras at every angle on the truck & said he could purchase a wireless for the rear of his rv that is integrated into the dash monitor. These trucks are getting soooo smart before long you'll to have 4 year degree in truck operations.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #14

Almost all the high end vehicles have this now - won't be long before they are as standard as rear view cameras are now:

Old 12-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman1 View Post
We had the Furion installed by our RV dealer before we could request another brand. (I purchased a Tadi-Brothers unit myself, but too late) My experience with Furion is, it's a poor quality picture on a small screen and find it overall useless. Furion is developing a larger screen set to be in the marketplace this spring. Having a second person on a phone or walkie-talkie helping you navigate your blind backend and using your side mirrors, is better IMO. Anybody interested in a Tadi-Brother backup camera system?
I might be interested in the backup camera. Could you provide a bit more info on what you have, model wise, and what you want for it ?? Thanks

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #16

Back up camera

I was told by the dealership that a back up camera cannot be installed on our 2017 31sl model. Due to the configuration of the back roof line and top clearance lights
How or has anyone amounted -are you installing and where?
Tried Furrion model FOS 43tasf and dealership said will not work.

Suggested above inset by back window it would limit field of vision to 120 degrees

Anyone have new suggestions?

Turlock. Ed
edmcneff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #17

My 2017 31SL has the factory installed camera very near the clearance lite. It is the wireless version
Old 09-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmcneff View Post
I was told by the dealership that a back up camera cannot be installed on our 2017 31sl model. Due to the configuration of the back roof line and top clearance lights
How or has anyone amounted -are you installing and where?
Tried Furrion model FOS 43tasf and dealership said will not work.

Suggested above inset by back window it would limit field of vision to 120 degrees

Anyone have new suggestions?

Turlock. Ed
As long as you can get wiring fished through those tiny marker lights, you can get your camera up there. You use the marker lights as a means to get the wire to one side and then down around the window.