Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #1

31sl

We just returned from looking at both the 31sl and the 36rl....we really are leaning towards the 31 but really liked the room of the 36 but it's just that much bigger.
Looking for some input on any that have purchased the 31 and then wished for the 36 ?
swannymh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Have the 31SL and happy with it. The five foot shorter length gives a little more ability to maneuver, and fit in smaller spaces. We live in it 5 months a year.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #3

We have the 31SL. We like the layout of the 36rl better but we opted for the smaller fifth wheel. It is easier to get in and out of places and we have lived in a prior fifth wheel around the same size as the 31sl and we were fairly comfortable in it. Hopefully, due to the fact it is lighter than all the other Redwoods, we will not have some of the issues others have had. We do however, miss having a large rear window to look out of.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:53 AM   #4

We have a 31sl and have been living in it for 2.5 years. It has worked out great for us. More space can be nice, but there is a price to pay when attempting to park in tight areas and the fact that the larger Redwoods should probably have a dually pulling them. We did modifications to ours in order to create the more space in the interior and storage.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #5

thank you for the input, the wife really thinks the 31 is enough...I liked the 36 but most likely will opt for the 31 for all the reasons above....maneuverability. We will pull the trigger here soon and will keep all up to date...you never know , maybe the 36 will end up behind the new truck...hmmm
Old 06-29-2015, 02:54 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
If you are like us we looked at all the redwoods. I was going to buy the 39 MB and bought the 36rl instead. I was in the same boat thinking about the length of the trailer to fit in some campgrounds. I wish now I would have bought the MB The extra 2 ft does make a big difference in living space. It does not make much difference in where you park it. We have pulled in to parks that don't allow anything over 40 ft I just yell them it is 39 and it fits right in
Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

We really liked the 31sl also due to its size, however ended up with the 36fb due to the space in the dinnette, the room around the king size bed, and we could not give up the view out the back window. I don't really think that there is that much difference in handling.
Good luck
Bill
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:05 AM   #8

options

We brought home a build sheet and are working through.....our salesman was really a great guy yet We forgot to ask some questions..and maybe you all can help.
Also we are leaning towards the 31 but really like the way the dining table in the 36 slide out has the cabinet edge against the wall, is that a possibility ?
Does anyone out there have experience with the 31 and a queen mattress as that's what we sleep on at home and it works fine ( my wife says I am her heater ) so the models we have looked at all have the king and that's just too confining....does the queen help enough to make a difference ?

Thanks all so much for the help in our decision.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:15 AM   #9

Hi, we have a 14 31SL and love it love it, we do not full time in it, only weekends and tailgating at JMU. We like having the same suspension as the larger trailers with the less weight to pull around. The 31SL has a high cargo carrying capacity and tows nicely. For us the queen bed works well and gives us enough room to walk around the bed and easily access the closet. If you have any more questions, PM me, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Bob & Debbie with Meeko & Lucy
2014 F350, SC, LB 4X4, 6.7
2014 31 SL
USN retired, 31 years
"If it was easy, anybody could do it"
CV67Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:41 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannymh View Post
We brought home a build sheet and are working through.....our salesman was really a great guy yet We forgot to ask some questions..and maybe you all can help.
Also we are leaning towards the 31 but really like the way the dining table in the 36 slide out has the cabinet edge against the wall, is that a possibility ?
Does anyone out there have experience with the 31 and a queen mattress as that's what we sleep on at home and it works fine ( my wife says I am her heater ) so the models we have looked at all have the king and that's just too confining....does the queen help enough to make a difference ?

Thanks all so much for the help in our decision.
we have the 36rl with the slide in slide and a queen bed. The double slide really opens the bedroom up. It is not available on the 31. I do not know if the same dinette option as the 36 is available in the 31. For the price difference I would personally go with the longer unit. Once hooked on and familiar with the way these things handle you will not notice the additional length. Best of luck in whatever you decide on
Old 06-30-2015, 02:56 AM   #11

bigger better...

I hear you ..the 36 is REALLY nice and my favorite. But my wife says the 31 is the choice. Now you never know as she is the boss but sometimes I forget that and do the things I do.
Having said that I like the way the 36 hallway open to both open slides, just feels more roomy, And the dining set up is my choice.
As well the 31 is very nice in it's own way.
I have no problem towing either as I just don't have to be anywhere yesterday and we take our sweet time on the road. Besides , going like a bat out of hell doesn't give my old eyes a chance to see anything.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:42 AM   #12

One thing my old man taught me was HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE
Old 06-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #13

We have the 36RL, but wish it was a 38RL!

We already had a washer and dryer, so the side by side location and little bit of extra room in the bedroom, not to mention the availability of Slide-in-slide made the 36RL our choice over the 31. Had the 38RL been available, I would have chose it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:17 AM   #14

For the Ladies~

Hi~
So, asking the ladies (or men), I guess!? If you had the choice to have either of the models.. which one and why?
As we are torn between the 31sl and the 36rl; my husband has interest in the 36FB.. I like the sink in the bedroom; getting my make up on; or just getting ready while someone showers is a cool feature. Would I miss the wider entrance with the 36rl? My husband doesn't like the shower in the 36rl.. is it too small?
I was sold on the 31sl because it has the option of going anywhere; tight areas for parking.. have any of you that have the 36 had to park somewhere because of your size? Let's keep it clean too!
By the way, this is the wife talking... I just don't want to make the wrong decision.. we are making our 3rd purchase for a 5th wheel. I want to take longer trips, more comfort and prepping for the grand-kids...
Any help or words of wisdom would be helpful!
Cheers,
Hope
Old 07-01-2015, 04:39 AM   #15
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by swannymh View Post
Hi~
So, asking the ladies (or men), I guess!? If you had the choice to have either of the models.. which one and why?
As we are torn between the 31sl and the 36rl; my husband has interest in the 36FB.. I like the sink in the bedroom; getting my make up on; or just getting ready while someone showers is a cool feature. Would I miss the wider entrance with the 36rl? My husband doesn't like the shower in the 36rl.. is it too small?
I was sold on the 31sl because it has the option of going anywhere; tight areas for parking.. have any of you that have the 36 had to park somewhere because of your size? Let's keep it clean too!
By the way, this is the wife talking... I just don't want to make the wrong decision.. we are making our 3rd purchase for a 5th wheel. I want to take longer trips, more comfort and prepping for the grand-kids...
Any help or words of wisdom would be helpful!
Cheers,
Hope
Only thing to watch out for in the 36FB is the "bathroom closet" size. If you are comfortable with that, the shower is great and so is the open sink.

Had a grandchild that is in the midst of 'potty training' in here for over a week. He LOVED the RV! A few stools and step ladder for washing hands and he was eager to try!

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #16

Love our FB, love the shower, I'm 6' & big boned & have no problem fitting in the water closet. Haven't seen or been in a SL, but if it has the entertainment center in the rear that forces every seat in the house to turn 90 degrees I'm not interested. We looked at the RL but bedroom felt cramped, the FL at the time had basically no closet space & tv was in very front turning 90 degrees again. Just have figure what works for you & go for it. We can't get into most state parks due to length as well as height & the SL is the same height.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #17

We're in the FB, love it and I can understand why your husband would prefer it's shower to the RL. I'm a pretty big guy too and have no problem with the commode. We also have a W/D in the FB [behind the shower] so we don't have the issue of the snaking drain tube under the bed, or the weight in that loooooooong bedroom slide.

There are tradeoff's with any model you choose, the biggest advantage to me for the 31 is length, you indeed can get into smaller sites. Having said that, we seldom have problems getting our 40' FB into sites, granted we avoid most state & federal parks.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #18

Be aware that the island is shorter, I believe you lose the spice rack, and the big thing is the pull out pantry is about half the size, I believe the counter next to the oven is also smaller. It would be fine if you don't full-time but if you do you will miss the storage and prep area. We have the 36fb and it allows me to sit on the bed and do my makeup in a magnifying mirror, also I think it gives you more area to get dressed.
Barbara
b41wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #19

We have the 36FL so I can't comment on those layouts, we have the front living and love it!!! I don't have the makeup area in the bedroom but the bathroom space is fine. And I don't like being in the same room all the time so the upper living and lower kitchen & bedroom works for us perfect. He watches tv upstairs and I'll sit in the lower kitchen on my laptop. It's nice having so much space were over 40 ft and would go bigger maybe the next one ...........sssshhh don't tell Steve.
Char

Char
Old 07-03-2015, 04:53 AM   #20

31, 36,31

Sent an email to redwood asking a couple questions of the 31...low and behold they called me not an hour later !! Have to say the call was an inspiration, now...
The more we read the more we lean towards the 36rl or fb...I like the shorter length of the 31 for towing but I guess we are just going to have to realize that the 36 is really what will make us happy.
The rl is great because of the wider hallway , but the shower has me a bit hesitant,. the fb has the fuller shower but the middle hall......guess we have to be happy we are narrowing it down.
Sure looking forward to joining the better quality !!