Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

I know that ALL Redwood owners LOVE their kitchens. My question is: when you were out shopping for your new RV (some of you are still shopping)....On a scale ofimportance... say 1-5 (5 being the most important), where does the important of the kitchen fall? Was/is it one of the deciding factors or not so much and why?

First and foremost: 2012 Redwood 36RL .....I quickly want to introduce myself - My name is Evada Cooper - author of the RV Centennial Cookbook, Celebrating 100 Years of RVing. I'm a writer for several national RV magazines providing content on successful living in the RV kitchen. I travel America giving educational seminars at RV Shows, Rallies, Campgrounds and dealerships. I want to invite you all over to my facebook page 'My RV Kitchen with Lady E'. I have just started my new website, as well. MyRVKitchen.com which is a love project that is just beginning ....and I invite you all to stop by.

My background is in the Food Industry where I owned and operated a restaurant for 15 years in my Central Texas hometown of Rockdale. Soon thereafter, I became a full-time RV'er and began the journey of learning how to be self sufficient ... then as being a single mom (along with a 16yr old daughter) and learning how to live successfully in my 5th wheel....it was a huge hurdle for me. Because of my love for the food industry....I stayed in the profession working as a General Manager for other restaurant owners.

Fast Forward a number of years - I am now remarried ....to Terry Cooper - The Texas RV Professor who is a Master Certified RVIA/RVDA RV Technician and professional instructor. He previously has taught at several colleges in Texas and across the United States. Together we have built a new company called Mobile RV Academy. Currently, the Professor travels to the dealerships and doing maintenance training on the spot....We call it 'target training'. While he is doing his thing....I do mine which is consumer RV education. (Oh...and we do it all living and traveling full-time in our Redwood).

So with all that being said, the questions that I ask to potential RV owners and those who have been doing it awhile (like you)....all plays an important part in my seminar presentations. I thank you ahead of time for your comments and any information that you can provide. You will see me throughout the forums asking more questions and commenting on your posts, as well.

Thank you,
Lady E Cooper

TXRVProfessor&LadyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Lady Cooper welcome!

as for our RL kitchen, I can't say we love it but it gets us by. Yes a kitchen is VERY important to my wife and I but I feel like it's one of the sacrifices that has to be made in order to not tip the weight scale too much. I think redwood did a good job with the kitchen but I'm hoping that they get better as more thought goes into them. It has been the best kitchen we've ever had in an RV.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #3

For us the kitchen was not a huge determining factor in selecting a floor plan. We liked the fwd lounge and needed open space as we have 2 large dogs. The FL best met those requirements.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

Since I have all the gadgets to cook outside the coach the kitchen didn't really enter into the equation regarding the purchase of our Redwood 36FL. We have a grill, gas stove tops, "Green Egg" and a Coleman oven so we are pretty self sufficient to cook outside the coach. We did require a dishwasher, and the Fischer & Pakel dish drawer does a great job.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

For us we fell in love with the Island Counter as it gives us enough space where we can both work on the counter at the same time, one on each side. We had two main priorities, Island Counter and All in One Bathroom. The RL gave us both.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #6

We fulltime, so the kitchen was a deal breaker for us. We looked at a number of class a's and c's, but the counter tops were only about 2'wide. Having designed kitchens, I was very aware that if ther's no counter space, there's no storage space above or below. The pantry cabinet and island were enough to convice us that the RW was the way to go. My mantra was "If I can't make an apple pie in it, the kitchen's too small!"
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Dan

We have an RL and love the kitchen layout and it was another of the key reasons we purchased a Redwood

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

My wife and I decided the best way to buy an RV was for me to chose the chassis and needed running gear, for both of us to choose the floor plan and for her to choose the kitchen and the decorating. Works for us, and she likes the kitchen in the 36FB

Bill and Barb
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to RollsRoyce

Hey Evada, How are you and Mr. T........Terry and Evada came to our mini rally a few weeks ago in Canton, Texas She has a great magazine with lots of good tips for the RV and convection microwave cooking...At one of our group cookouts she brought over some special brownies..( NO.Marijuana) .She brouht them over after dark so we couldn't see them...They were burnt on the bottomJust kidding about being burnt...They were awsome and they were all gone when the party was over...The Professor was really helpful to us all and we had a greaat time. Evada does your website tell us how to get your cookbook? Back to the real subject we bought the FB becaause of the large tub and private stool area...We also love our kitchen and the island counter (except when the slides are in it's hard to get back and forth in that area) Bath is a 5 kitchen is a 4.8
RW36FB
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #10

Hi Evada from the Vineyards. I metyou and your husband a couple of weeks ago when you were here. I was working the gate and stopped by to ask Terry some questions about my door and another couple came up and you gave them a Redwood book. They came to our rig a few days later and we gave them a tour and happy to say last week at the Dallas RV show they committed to a 36RL. The kitchen was very important to our selection. The 36RL was perfect and that and the quality of the rig overall made up our minds.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #11

Our 36FB is on order, so I can't rate the kitchen yet. We chose the FB for the bath - the separate w/c was a must-have. I think the kitchen will be ok - a bit tight between the counter and island, as we often cook together. I like the pantry space. We took the dish dividers out , as we felt it wasted an entire drawer. I'm hoping they can find a single bowl sink to fit because I think the bowls in the double are too small and I don't need two anyway. We also got the cooktop and convection/micro. We never ever used the oven in out TT. I'll probably get a portable induction burner. I think the large burner on the cooktop is the front one and our big skillet will hang out over the front of the cooktop just like on our TT.

I'll let you know what I really think after our first trip. We cook almost every meal, so it will get a workout.

JJ
Kev n JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #12

We have the J counter now, and it has a lot of counter space but it's like a cul-de-sac, if somebody is blocking the entrance you can't get out.

It was the Island and the Pantry that drew us to the Redwood. The trash can will be a nice welcome, but we have reservations about the plate drawer being worth the space.Edited by: atom ant
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #13

We, too, were concerned about the dish drawer. Now that we have been in the coach for a year - the drawer is well worth a little space.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #14

Welcome! We''ll be picking up our 36FL in another week so no experience with the kitchen just yet. However, the storage and quality of finishes is what caught our attention. We'll definitely need instruction on making better use of the convection oven as we gave up the stove option for more storage. I really hope that decision doesn't come back to bite us in the rear.
I've always wanted to take some of Terry's courses. Any possibility that you folks will be making it to the MidAtlantic region this year?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #15

We like our kitchen ! Coming from a non-slide work & play its a hell of an upgrade. I think my wife l loves it since I've done all of the cooking on the few trips we've take. So far we have plenty of space. We're not full-time yet but I'm working on it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #16

Hi,

We have a 38 BR so the panty is smaller... would have liked a bigger panty but I love my office. Really like the dishwasher. Large pans and trays go in the drawer under the Fridge. Made dividers out of poplar slats sold at Home Depot to organizer the top drawer on the island and the top drawer beside the stove. Love the plate drawer. Took the 10 gallon garbage can and put it in the office. Got a smaller version that fits the hole and store cleaning supplies below the new smaller garbage can. Put most of our dishes and bowls and stuff on coated wire shelf units that you can buy at Mega Jnks (sp) in the cupboards next to the kitchen. Liquor cabinet is to the right of the TV. Bulk paper towel, toilet paper, etc, are in the cupboards that I can reach (6' 2").

Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #17
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Hi,

We have a 38 BR so the panty is smaller... would have liked a bigger panty but I love my office. Really like the dishwasher. Large pans and trays go in the drawer under the Fridge. Made dividers out of poplar slats sold at Home Depot to organizer the top drawer on the island and the top drawer beside the stove. Love the plate drawer. Took the 10 gallon garbage can and put it in the office. Got a smaller version that fits the hole and store cleaning supplies below the new smaller garbage can. Put most of our dishes and bowls and stuff on coated wire shelf units that you can buy at Mega Jnks (sp) in the cupboards next to the kitchen. Liquor cabinet is to the right of the TV. Bulk paper towel, toilet paper, etc, are in the cupboards that I can reach (6' 2").

Brad
I am interested in your wire shelf units, what/where s mega can you get to them on line?

Thanks
Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #18

We are still waiting to order our 36FL in a few months. However, perhaps the number one priority in our consideration, is the Kitchen. My wife (4ft 8ins) found other fifth wheel kitchens to not be very user friendly for a person her height. As we like preparing and being in the kitchen at the same time the kitchen became a real focal point when searching for a unit we plan to full time in. Another huge factor was being able to load the refrigerator without having to operate a slide. We would of liked an island but the 36FL doesn't lend itself well to islands.
JellyStonePark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #19

It is wonderful reading all of your comments, thank you. I would like to make a few comments myself ...about some of the postings starting with the last one... Mr. & Mrs. JellyStonePark.

I totally understand your thoughts about finding the perfect kitchen for your wife and I must agree. Might I make a suggest?

The floorplan that you are leaning toward is a beauty. Because of the fact that there is only one kitchen slide, yes the space is a little smaller. However, there is a product out on the market that could make this kitchen work even better for your Mrs. This will add the desired extra counter top space that you need along with storage on the shelves below. Not being overly big..., this little guy is PORTABLE. Yes, it's on wheels so can easily be pushed around where it is needed most (even outside) ....but when 'FOLDED' to put away when not using...it is only 5-1/2" width and can go in the cargo hold if need be. Weighing in at about 40 lbs, it is beautiful. Look around at some of the other fold away islands that they have. Some are less expensive, different colors and even lighter weight. So there are lots of options available to you. I hope this information is helpful. (URL below)

I am so excited about your upcoming purchase with Redwood and if there is any way I can help you...please let me know.

Lady E Cooper

Check out this url: http://www.qvc.com/Folding-Island-Ki...st+Sellers-_-1
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPAjax
Hi,

BradPAJax,
Please share your great creations with all of us. We all would love to see how you are making your space work great for you! Pictures?

Lady E Cooper