Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #41

I have to defend the oven -

Make a residential range an option if necessary for the market, but the closer these things get to mobile homes, the less useful they are dry camping. I enjoy the fact I can do most anything with some LP and 12V if I want, and I'm not worried about staying at some of the 30A national and state parks either, because I can switch most of my consumption to LP (WH, oven, fridge, furnace, etc)

Look at all the issues some are already having trying to adjust themselves to the limitations of residential fridges in a trailer. MH are a different breed, they are rolling cummins power plants so they work fine with residential appliances.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #42

Brad - not only a different breed, but different price point as well. I also like the oven, especially after some practice. First time I used it everything was burned on the bottom due to proximity to the burner.

Now use a sheet of tin foil to dissipate the direct heat. Works well.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #43

Any, I heard pizza stones work well for that too, but we use a sheet like you.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #44

Brad - good point, hadn't heard of that one. Probably as pizza is something we never make - can't eat cheese.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #45
Traveling

After my rant I want to add that (except for the range/cooktop) we are VERY happy with the Redwood kitchen and it was VERY influential in our decision to choose Redwood. The Dishwasher and residential fridge are (to me) a big deal when you are LIVING in it, and it is being presented as a residential unit. We rarely dine out, and cook most of our meals at home (because we enjoy it) and having a functional, comfortable kitchen that allowed us to do that is huge. LOVE the kitchen, just don't love the range/cooktop!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #46

Ah, they do call it a RESIDENTIAL unit don't they.

Oh well, I use it for a camper.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #47
Traveling

Yes. You are on a much larger scale than we are :-) We use our Lance camper for "RVing"!
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Yes. You are on a much larger scale than we are :-) We use our Lance camper for "RVing"!
We don't just do camping. We are full timers moving across this great country. Our Redwood is all that it was cracked up to be. We love it!
Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #49
Site Team

I guess we're old school because we're happy with the cook top.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #50

We have now been in our 38GK almost 10 months. The BIGGEST deciding factor for me was the kitchen. Having the 2 large pantries was the final deciding factor. We went from 3800 sq ft to 400 sq ft and storage was very important. Since we are living in our GK full time, we do cook a lot on the cook top. I also have a few issues with the burner being a little difficult with a large skillet, but have made it work. I have not mastered the convection oven yet, but I am trying to like it. We opted out of the oven after my conversation with Evada. I think it was the right decision, but I still struggle with the convection oven. I would really like to have one sink instead of two, but I do not really like to the one that they have started to put in. All in all, I love our new lifestyle and the Redwood has really fit our needs.

Sharon & Wink
Old 03-15-2014, 12:42 AM   #51

I do all of the cooking in our family and the kitchen in the 36RL is what sold me. I really liked the pull out pantry shelves and the separate pantry. The wastebasket is great, though I do not use the pull out cutting board other than to occasionally put trimmings through to the wastebasket as I know that sharp knives would scratch it. The 3 burner gas stove is okay, not great, but I am used to it as our previous RVs had them. I agree with other respondents that the bottom plate drawer is a waste of space. We may replace it at some point. We are not full-timers, though we expect to use our unit frequently. I am actually writing this from a campground in Florida. We did not get the dishwasher or the residential refrigerator. I am delighted with the double door Norcold. I bring along a Cuisinart toaster oven oven for baking small things, like potatoes. A residential cooktop would be nice, but I would still prefer it to be gas.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #52

We thought the plate draw was a waste of space at first but after living in our RL for awhile we discovered that it's perfect for holding our cloth place mats and wicker plate holders and a couple of cook books. We have an oven as well which like most does double duty as a baked goods box. All is well. Remember, if you have space you will fill it and a lot of the "stuff" and rarely gets used and while drive it all over the nation.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #53

I removed every other divider in plate drawer & now it is actually usefull. DW has mastered the convection, but it was a bit of trial & error.
We met friends in their SOB & came back to our RW & was in awe just like the first time we saw one.
Like it has been said here many times, if you're not somewhat handy or carry any tools, this fulltiming is not going to very enjoyable, some dealership may get more use of your RW than you, not say they are problematic, just things will happen even in a $750k motor home.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #54

We actually use the plate drawer for plates We've used Correlle out of habit in every rig, and every once in a while they would shoot out of the cupboard and do damage to counters or cabinets, and when they broke we were picking up shards for months afterwards. Plate drawer was one of the many things that sold us.

I have lost some spices out of the spice rack, and I think they rolled down the hole into the belly of no return . Problem is I won't know which ones they were until I need them again and find out they are not there.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #55

We too use the plate drawer for plates, also have a few other objects in there like trivets, serving plates, platters, etc. We originally thought about eliminating the dividers but decided to keep them, we're glad we did.

We deleted the oven and upgraded our microwave to a GE Advantium which has microwave, convection AND radiant cooking. Just finished baking brownies, can cook roasts, bake potatoes, pretty much everything you can do in a convention oven.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #56

Chuck,

Did you have to do any fancy venting for that upgrade? If my Frigidaire becomes haunted like some of the others and starts cooking my box of doughnuts in the middle of the night on its own , I may replace it with one of those fancy things you are talking about!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #57

A lot of very good comments on the kitchen. Gave me some ideas on the plate use drawer! Thanks to all.
usaf1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:18 PM   #58
Site Team

My wife and I argue about the plate drawer. She thinks it's a waist of space because although we do have some glass plates, we usually use the higher end of paper plates.

I guess it would be different if we lived full time in the rig. As it is we will are 1/3 timers with extended trips.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Chuck,

Did you have to do any fancy venting for that upgrade? If my Frigidaire becomes haunted like some of the others and starts cooking my box of doughnuts in the middle of the night on its own , I may replace it with one of those fancy things you are talking about!
We had the dealer install the new over, it replaced the standard MW. They told me they didn't have to make any modifications, they used the same vent. We've never had any problem with excessive heat even when the oven is used for a couple of hours.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 AM   #60

Very cool! Thanks Chuck