Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #21

Last year we got a Free Roof inspection from a CW. The report they gave us had our roof falling apart with holes and leaks everywhere, so we should really make an appointment for their Roof Service. Yea right, I had been up there and knew there was nothing really wrong other than maybe a couple of spots that could use just a little more sealant. Told them we would book an appointment at the next CW just down the street where we were headed and fired up the TV and hit the road to get out of there.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #22

I had the opposite - paid $250 and was told everything was good, and when we got home the slide seal was hanging out the back of the slide about 5 feet and beat up the paint. I even told them there were some issues with the slide seals, and they said, "yup, got er all fixed up". I ended up doing it myself anyway. I paid $250 to get the paper signed for warranty.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #23

I just got a reply from Jesse Sidwell at RW that the inspection is no longer required. Only that it's maintained according to the owners manual.

Mark
Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 AM   #24

I just saw this on the redwoodrvowners .com Forum (under "Warranty"): It was posted in February 2015:

There have been numerous questions about Redwood's warranty...how long is the warranty, are inspections required, etc.

On the warranty itself...
2014 and earlier models were delivered with a 2+5 warranty, the first 2 years carries a Limited Bumper-To-Bumper AND a 5 year structural warranty. This warranty applies only to the original [first] buyer and is not transferrable.

2015 models have a fill 2 year warranty.

Inspections...
The earlier Redwoods [2010-2014] required an annual inspection for years 1-4 in order to maintain the warranty.
When the 2015 models were introduced they did away with the requirement for the annual inspection for ALL Redwoods, both the new 2015 models AND all the earlier model years.
Because there has been so much discussion on this topic I went directly to Redwood for the final word, here is the reply I received from Jim Lazzarino, Redwood's General Manager...
We do not require any longer an inspection on our units for them to have a valid Warranty. We do require that the unit is maintained properly.In most cases it is a good idea to do this maintenance through a dealer but we do not require it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:42 AM   #25
S&K

We took our 2014 36FB in for it's 1st annual inspection, even after reading the posts from this thread. We had a few minor issues to fix, as we hadn't found them until later.

We were glad we did! One issue was to fix the leaking window in the bedroom. Every time it rained on that side, it would leak water onto the dresser section. They are ordering a new window gasket.

Next was the window crank by the sofa side. (Not the emergency exit) The assembly is just bent, and won't retract in on its own. Two people have to do it. (inside cranking, outside pushing)

They also had to re-tack the ceiling trim in several places. Also, one of the roof fan-vents quit working after about the 2nd time we used it. Turns out a factory worker "stapled" the wire, and after a few trips, it shorted itself out. Replaced wire. Works fine now.

One of the major issues was squealing when retracting/opening slides. That was caused by lots of rust on the underneath. We're dealing with this by 'bathing' the rollers and gears with WD-40 until they are quiet, and then maintaining them with a dry silicone spray. (We live near the gulf coast, so that refreshing salty water is not so nice to our RW!)

One thing we were not aware of, and may have come under the 'structural' inspection required for the 5 year warranty. Several portions of the unit was missing the clear silicone caulk, either where the seals were touching the insides of the slides, or even where frame-met-frame on the unit. They siliconed everything and showed us how to do it, so we wouldn't have water damage on the insides of the walls. I guess the silicone can work itself loose with road-time. (Ours had maybe 300-600 miles on it!!!)

I know it may be a P.I.T.A. to take it in for the inspections; but I'm encouraging it from now on. It could bring up issues you didn't know you had.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 PM   #26

I just had my 1st annual inspection done for $68.00.
Jeff&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&K View Post

I know it may be a P.I.T.A. to take it in for the inspections; but I'm encouraging it from now on. It could bring up issues you didn't know you had.
If you have the right Dealer, I totally agree. Others have no business being turned lose with a caulking gun

How did they retack your ceiling trim? just nail it? I've got one dropping a bit.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:12 AM   #28
S&K

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
If you have the right Dealer, I totally agree. Others have no business being turned lose with a caulking gun

How did they retack your ceiling trim? just nail it? I've got one dropping a bit.
Since our unit was never in a 'bay', my guess is that they just 'nailed' it. (I didn't see any air hoses going into the RV with a finishing gun)

As far as the caulking gun.... I can see we have some clean-up work to do. Sometimes, the good service technicians hand over the job to "assistants".

And, for the record.... we did not get charged for the inspection.

2014 RW36FB
2014 F-350 CC DRW, 25K Reese, Roll-n-Loc, Rhino Liner
'Half-timer' - Full time retired, tho!
Ken & Shelley
S&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:56 AM   #29
Site Team

Sometimes they glue the trim back up with silicone caulk.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #30
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
Sometimes they glue the trim back up with silicone caulk.

Does that work very well? What about the wood trim, specifically the decorator pieces on the top of the slides? A couple of mine are about to fall off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #31
Site Team

For the small trim pieces they use the silicone because it acts as a glue and puts up with vibrations very well. The large pieces of trim I use small black cabinet screws so I can replace take them back off if need be. The factory uses a trim nail gun.

I had to remove all their brad nails to reinstall the trim.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:36 PM   #32
lwg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny View Post
For the small trim pieces they use the silicone because it acts as a glue and puts up with vibrations very well. The large pieces of trim I use small black cabinet screws so I can replace take them back off if need be. The factory uses a trim nail gun.

I had to remove all their brad nails to reinstall the trim.
My roof seems are getting pretty bad as well as the wood corner trim. Also need to get a good solution for those beauty trim pieces on the top of the slides. Might look at the small screws as they will hold up to the vibration better.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #33

This fixes anything, along with duct-tape. Just make sure no kids are playing outside
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ramset.jpg (11.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #34

AA has the right idea, but all that lead inside your Redwood may cause problems. If you own a Redwood, you might want to invest in an 18ga pin nailer instead.

I've needed mine for the ceiling trim, stairway trim, closet trim and interior moldings so far. Just another tool you didn't think you'd ever have a use for...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #35

I'm with 5th Time... silicone and pin nailer... my stair trim vibrated back off 4-5 time before I fixed it good with silicone AND the nailer.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #36

I had a piece of trim that had fallen off found at PDI, the dealer pin nailed it back on.
I told the tech that it was a little too long as it was bowed when trying to put it back in place, he went ahead and pin nailed it again pushing the bow down with his hand.
We left the dealer, first stop it had fallen off again.
I trimmed off about 1/8 inch on the end so it did not bow and put it back on again using Elmers Wood Glue and a few wire brad nails, so far it has stayed put.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote