Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Is anyone using a wireless hdmi system to transmit HD picture and sound to a TV not connected to the source with an hdmi cable.

I am using Directv receivers in the living area and the bedroom of a 2013 36RE. The basement TV is connected by coax from the bedroom Receiver using a component to RF converter, but the picture is not hd.

Several vendors offer so called wireless hdmi devices that transmit the hdmi signal to a remote receiver that is connected to the hdtv with a short hdmi cable and, according to about 95% of the reviewers, produces a true 1080P hd picture on the 2nd TV. The other 5% have other opinions.

The systems run about $200 dollars so I plan to try one from Amazon before I try the option of an hdmi powered splitter in the bedroom and a hard wired hdmi cable to the basement.

Having said all of that, does anyone have any experience either good or bad with such products. The one I am getting is made by Actiontec.

Thanks,
jpdunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #2

I have purchased the Actiontec model but have not had the opportunity to install yet. I will try to get it installed this week. If I I do I will post how it went.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3

Mine should arrive tomorrow and I will try it at home, since my Redwood is at the RV Park. If it works in my home trial, I will be trying it in the Redwood onThursday or Friday and will provide a review.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

I'm in the TV business and have used the wireless HDMI systems in several applications. They work great for short throws but can be affected by other wireless devices including cell phones.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

I have the 8Ware system. Tried it in the Redwood for the basement, just too much wiring and insulation, a lot of drop outs. I moved it to the house and it works great there. Depending on where you set it up and how much it has to travel through, it could be workable for you. I use it with my Dish receiver.

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

The Actiontec wireless hdmi system arrived today from Amazon as scheduled. The set up was fairly easy even for a non-techy and I tested the system in my large garage. It worked very well.

The real test will come on Thursday or Friday when I install the transmitter in the bedroom of the 36RE and the receiver in the basement.

I will share the results whether good, bad, or ugly.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #7

The weather in St. Augustine this weekend was horrific with torrential rains and extremely strong winds--even ducks were hiding out.

Finally, on Sunday morning the weather dramatically improved--of course, it was going home day--but I had a chance to install the Actiontec wireless HDMI system and it worked great during a brief trial.

The transmitter is installed at the bedroom TV and the receiver in the basement with that TV. It is working great and, hopefully, will provide continuing good results.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #8

So was that actually the $200 transmitter and receiver? or am I looking at the wrong thing. I've got the basement entertainment that I believe is just split off the main coax to the bedroom for antenna and that's it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #9

First, a disclaimer...I am not overly technically gifted...but I try.

The problem with the coaxial cable and the connection in the basement TV area is finding a source for a quality HD signal. For cable only, the coax coming from the bedroom (36RE) works, but for satellite it presents a challenge.

Today's satellite receivers have no coaxial outputs. They are limited to component or hdmi and normally only one of each. Initially, we installed a powered component to coax converter in the bedroom TV area and used the factory installed coax to take the signal to the basement. That worked, but did not produce a high definition picture because the coax would not transmit one.

Consequently, somewhat skeptically, I ordered the Actiontec wireless hdmi system from Amazon for about $200 fully expecting to return it.

It consists of a powered transmitter and a powered receiver. The transmitter plugs into a receptacle in the bedroom and has an hdmi in port for bringing the signal from the satellite receiver and an hdmi out port for the bedroom TV. Obviously, you can only watch the same satellite channel on the two TV's.

The receiver also plugs into a receptacle in the basement and has an hdmi out port for connection to the basement TV. Note, although it should not matter, we did not purchase the pre-installedRedwood "entertainment center." I purchased a 42" Vizio TV from Sam's Club for use in the basement.

As mentioned in the previous post, the St. Augustine weather was horrible this past weekend so I had limited time to use the set-up. I did the installation on Sunday morning and left for home shortly thereafter--but it was producing a high definition picture and quality sound wirelessly.

If the set-up continues to work this well, it certainly increases the flexibility of outside TV placement. Our lot has a nice deck fairly close and I plan to try placing the TV and wireless receiver there to see if that works as well. That would make for perfect college football viewing in the fall.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #10

DTV H24 receivers come with the IR remote, but they also sell an RF remote (cheap) that wouldlet you change your channels while sitting outside with your setup. I likethe RF in my RL's bedroom because you can mount the reciever insidethe solid-front cabinets and keep thecabinet door closed.

If you use the new DTV H25 receiver (which is smaller), you need to add an RF "dongle" to make it RF compatible. You also need to have the SWM (Single Wire Multi-switch) satellite setup.

The new Traveler SK-SWM3HD auto roof-mount dish has that built in. I havelast year'sSK-3005 HD auto roof-mount dish and it neededa SWM8 upgrade kit, but after that,I only needed the single factory coax and a splitter instead of four separate coaxcables through the roof.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #11

Cancel my enthusiastic endorsement of the Actiontec wireless HDMI system. After working flawlessly last weekend, it won't sync today. I don't need this aggravation and will be shipping back to Amazon on Monday.

Too bad, it seemed to have promise.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #12

Thank you for your honesty! I think I'll pass and figure something else out.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #13

Having given up on the wireless hdmi to get HD pictures from a DIRECTV receiver at the bedroom TV in a 2013 36RE, I am now looking at the challenge of running an HDMI cable from the bedroom to the basement.

I have a powered HDMI splitter to use with the receiver in the Bedroom and as an outlet for a long HDMI cable to the basement.

The big challenge is finding a way to inconspicuously route the cable to the basement. MY unit has a floor to almost ceiling storage cabinet on theleft side of the wall between the closet and the 2nd sink with a window and drawers to the right of that all the way to the 2nd sink in the bedroom. The satellite receiver and a blu-ray player sit on top of that cabinet and the cables route through a hole into the TV.

It appears the basement HDMI could be routed downthrough the cabinet and under the drawers to the sink area and then down into the basement, but that will be a fairly long HDMI cable.

Any thoughts on a simpler route and on the maximumeffective length for an HDMI cable?

Thanks,
Old 05-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #14

Check in the front right corner (curb side) of the basement ceiling. On our RL we have a register that goes into the Bedroom under the cabinet. When I set-up our portable sat dish last fall, I ran the coax up thru that register to the receiver as a temp measure.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #15

I had RW put my cables in when they built it it all works great with the powered spliter my only trouble is the main Toshiba TV it will shut off if I turn any of the other TVs off (it's not the remotes) also it's HDMI plugs are very loose.
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote