Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #1

I think on the highway, you should be in the Right(OUTSIDE) lane. Which lane is best for your RV to travel thru a city?
The outside lane is bad because of merging traffic.
The inside lane less traffic, but you are a slow down to the car traffic.
Anybody, what's your thinking? I'm interested in safety, and minimum traffic effects.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

I've always stayednear the center of the street in a city due to possible low hanging branches,traffic signsor pedestrians. Nothing worse than a low hanging pedestrian. It may not be the legal thing to do but I feel more comfortable with it.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa
I've always stayedÂ*near the center of the street in a city due to possible low hanging branches,Â*traffic signsÂ*or pedestrians.Â* Nothing worse than a low hanging pedestrian.Â* It may not be the legal thing to do but I feel more comfortable with it.Â*
X2

In town it can be a real problem to hang out in the right lane, especially when the lane turns into an Exit only, and its bumper to bumper traffic. Might end up going where you weren't planned. I always leave at least one lane to my left for passing.

On the highway, if there is little traffic, I sometimes move to the left. Some of the roads out here are so worn out, it's a miserable ride on the right. In parts of WY I-80, they had signs asking trucker to move to the left and pass on the right, so they could get some additional wear out of the highway.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff
I think on the highway, you should be in the Right(OUTSIDE) lane. Which lane is best for your RV to travel thru a city?
The outside lane is bad because of merging traffic.
The inside lane less traffic, but you are a slow down to the car traffic.
Anybody, what's your thinking? I'm interested in safety, and minimum traffic effects.
The suicide lane in the middle. lol
Actually all the trees in the south are grown out. You don't want the outside lane here, plus when you turn on a intersection you have more swing room without hitting curbs, plus the nails and glass are in the outside lanes from sweeper trucks pushing debris to the side.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #5

On a 2 lane I normally travel in the right lane, on a 3 lane I use the center. In town on a two lane street, I use the left. I've been North, South, East, and West, and this generally works best for me. This is all subject to change depending on conditions. I don't do this because of trees, but for maneuverability and I can stay with the flow of traffic.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflame
On a 2 lane I normally travel in the right lane, on a 3 lane I use the center. In town on a two lane street, I use the left. I've been North, South, East, and West, and this generally works best for me. This is all subject to change depending on conditions. I don't do this because of trees, but for maneuverability and I can stay with the flow of traffic.
We have Crape Myrtles that come half way out in the right lane in most towns in Louisiana and will take your paint job down to the metal.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Apparently, everyone is correct on this thread.

I do everything that everyone has mentioned. You drive in certainlanes depending upon traffic flow andhow many lanes. Whether you're on ahighway or in the middle ofa city.

Dave from Maine

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Nuff said.LOL