Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Which replacement skylight?

For those that have replaced their skylight, I would like to replace mine in my RL with factory OEM unit. Any ideal of the make/mode/size of the unit Redwood used from the factory? Mine is still fine, but has yellowed over the years.

Lots of aftermarket out there to add to the confusion.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
For those that have replaced their skylight, I would like to replace mine in my RL with factory OEM unit. Any ideal of the make/mode/size of the unit Redwood used from the factory? Mine is still fine, but has yellowed over the years.

Lots of aftermarket out there to add to the confusion.

I replaced the one over the shower with a deep smoked one , the sun still come through it but you cant see any thing. We stayed on a site that had a very steep hill and more sites above use maybe 100 - 150' away that looked down on our roof. 18 x 30 " sky lite with a clear dome didn't make any sense. I also added bubble rap between the inside and outside dome to help with heating and cooling.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

tiara rv sent me one oem it was exact same

i have yet to install,
fixed a hairline crack in the corner.
it sits in the box awaiting better weather to install and im looking for a wide flat nozzle to caulk oem roof sealer

karl b.
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
tiara rv sent me one oem it was exact same

i have yet to install,
fixed a hairline crack in the corner.
it sits in the box awaiting better weather to install and im looking for a wide flat nozzle to caulk oem roof sealer

karl b.

Karl,

My personal choice is Sika Flex 715 self leveling roof sealer. Not sure exactly what type roof you have but I have used it on many camper roofs with very long lasting seams .

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0.../dp/B00NBPZ90C

there is many RV places you can get it , just make sure you check the expiration date on the but end of the caulking tube. Twice I have had old batches shipped to me. That is just a dealer problem not keeping a eye on there products and how much the sell. other wise it last years longer then the old Dicor self leveling sealers. No need for wide nozzle jut spread it out in multiple passes and do it quickly you don't want air to get trapped or the product to skin over. working time on a average summer day is about 20~30 mins tops then don't touch it. if needed a flat 1" wide piece of wood can spread it out nicely.