Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

I need help, DW and I are getting a DISH NETWORK or DIRECT TV for the RW.
WHICH DO YOU LIKE?
We will be west of Mississippi 99% of time.
Time is running out we leave in 3 weeks.
Is your system auto align?
HerbEdited by: RifRaff
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #2

We are going with DirectTV. It's what we have at home and I like the Genie where I can record 5 shows and watch on any of the TV's. We have 3 in our GK, so I wanted to be able to watch any show that was dvr'd on any TV. I don't watch much live TV. We also did the tripod instead if roof mount.

Sharon
SW1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

I've had DTV and now have Dish. We had no problems with DTV. At the time, it was about having a television in the kitchen (at home) without a box. We were able to do it with Dish.<div id="LCS_C4CFC0DE_134F_4466_B2A2_FF7C59A8BFAD_commu nicati&#111;nDiv">

Now, we will be trying the Sling. The Sling allows us to get Dish from away. The Sling utilizes the satellite Dish from home.

Right now I have an app on my I-Phone. I can watch live television or anything that I've DVR'ed through the Sling.

As Sharon stated she appreciates the "Genie" from DTV. I believe the "Hopper" from Dish is similar.
I do miss being able to get six or eight stations on one screen and then seeing which one I want. Dish does not offer that.

Dave from Maine

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #4

We use the Winegard SK 3000 antenna forDirect TV mounted to the roof of our 36RL. It automatically raises up and finds the satellite while I do more important things like open a cold one! We use Direct TV at home so we don't pay for two systems. If we need an extra box for the outdoor set, we just grab one from a spare bedroom at home.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

We have same as Jeff... Winegard SK-3005 DTV HD auto seeking roof-mount dish. You need one cable per receiver with this dish.

Winegard just upgraded this model to SK-SWM3 which requires only one coax cable and splitter for multiple receivers.

We have DTV at home, but also purchased another HD-DVR and HD receiver for the Redwood so we don't have to dismantle our home theater cabinet before & after every trip.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #6

We went with Direct HD TV and we’re going to stick with the tripod setup. This way we can always get a signal.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
We have same as Jeff... Winegard SK-3005 DTV HD auto seeking roof-mount dish. You need one cable per receiver with this dish.

Winegard just upgraded this model to SK-SWM3 which requires only one coax cable and splitter for multiple receivers.

We have DTV at home, but also purchased another HD-DVR and HD receiver for the Redwood so we don't have to dismantle our home theater cabinet before &amp; after every trip.

X2
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

I don't watch tv, but my wife went with Direct because of the genee.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #9

X3 on Dish with an SK 1000.

Dish has the Hopper/Joey that does everything the Genie does.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:47 PM   #10

I have a 2015 gk also and use direct tv with remote tripod but Iam unable to use any of the satellite connections in the side compartment. I have had direct tv techs to put transmitters on the lines but they do not connect to living room tv. I am presently using a flat cable through the window. any suggestions as to where the connection problem might be.Thanks
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
I have a 2015 gk also and use direct tv with remote tripod but Iam unable to use any of the satellite connections in the side compartment. I have had direct tv techs to put transmitters on the lines but they do not connect to living room tv. I am presently using a flat cable through the window. any suggestions as to where the connection problem might be.Thanks
On my 2015GK I have used the outside cable connection. I could not make it work until I turned off the antenna amplifier in the bedroom left side cabinet.

Good Luck.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Also remove the screws and take down the wall in the basement to see if the cable is even connected to the outlets in the wet Bay. Some on the crossroads forum found out the cable to the Tvs were not connected
Old 01-30-2017, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
On our GK, there is a loom of wiring going from the streetside rear of the coach to the streetside slide where the TV is. If you open that up, you will see all the coax and they are all spliced with barrel connectors. You may find the problem there.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #14

I have Dish. I mainly take my Hopper and Joey with me and use a tripod and dish. I do have a Dish tailgater and 211 receiver that I use on occasion. Both have served us well.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifRaff View Post
I need help, DW and I are getting a DISH NETWORK or DIRECT TV for the RW.
WHICH DO YOU LIKE?
We will be west of Mississippi 99% of time.
Time is running out we leave in 3 weeks.
Is your system auto align?
HerbEdited by: RifRaff
We went with Direct TV and the Wingard SWM3 as that is what we use at home (at home the dish is in a fixed position). Direct TV provided free extra remotes and power supplies for the three TV's in our RW. When we go RV'ing we grab our two mini' and main box from home. A couple of minutes to connect the antenna and HDMI cables while the Wingard SWM3 is locking onto the satellites after arriving at the camp site. While at home we record a bunch of movies so that we can watch them in the RV. On demand services require an Internet connection which we avoid by pre recording at home. Streaming movies from our WiFi hotspot can be costly. Redbox is a cheap solution however we rarely use Redbox. We do not pay any monthly cost for moving the three boxes. (other then the ~$2,000 one time for the Wingard SW3 system). For us it is a great solution.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

I have turned booster off and checked connections behind basement wall and all are connected .Cables seem to go somewhere in the under belly, can only see to the rear of holding tank. How hard is the underbelly to open.
Old Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:41 PM   #17

We have had Directv and just 'rented' a dvr and directv box for the rv - $12 per month since we were spoiled by fast forward and rewind at home
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:50 AM   #18

Quote:
I have turned booster off and checked connections behind basement wall and all are connected .Cables seem to go somewhere in the under belly, can only see to the rear of holding tank. How hard is the underbelly to open.
First, there is a drawing in the library that may help:
Redwood RV Owners Community - Documents - Redwood Satellite-Antenna wiring

You might get a cheap signal tracer from amazon which would help trace the cables.

If I remember correctly, in the entertainment center, there where cables wrapped up and not connected, these went to the connectors outside.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #19

directv mobile dish

I have a directv dish that I cannot get a connection, is it true that you must have directv change your location on your receiver from home.
hoggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggers View Post
I have a directv dish that I cannot get a connection, is it true that you must have directv change your location on your receiver from home.

I can't say for DirectTV. In my case I have a Dish Network account for my home programming. I added a receiver to my account for use in the RW and I get the same programming when I am on the road as when I am at home in Indiana. I have traveled from Indiana to Florida to Washington state and receive the same programming in all locations except the local Indiana stations. I use the air antenna to receive whatever the local stations are in the local when I am on the road. This arrangement has worked well for me.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote