Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oman
I check the height of of my 36 RL today on a level pad. 13 foot 4 inches at the front A/C.
Yikes! Some of the old RR crossing bridges in the West are barely 14'. That gives me the chills. Better be careful to check your route for overhead obstructions and check carefully before pulling into some of the older filling stations. I know of one on I-80E out of Reno that's only 11'8".
John317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #42

The bedroom door is hinged to the closet side.

One scarry tidbit... ON the RL/RE/FB, when you are ready to leave and put you slides in, it seems natural to close each door and hit the button. Caution: you must have the bedroom door latched open when you move the bedroom slide in - or the door will be crushed in the door frame. This seems intuitive except that you are activitng the slide from around the corner. Be careful.
One mod I had made was having the dealer put addition latches on eachdoor of the washer/dryer closet. From the factory, the second of eachdouble door (the one farthest from the hinges)just flops around and isnot held closed. When you see this on yours, you will be disappointed. Add an additional latch to each. Just a small thing.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #43

The bedroom door is one to miss easily. the other one I missed (and even knew it was possible) was the lockable file drawer on the 36RE. Fortunately, very minor damage to drawer. I now make sure that drawer is locked and added a magnet clasp on it.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time

The bedroom door is hinged to the closet side.

One scarry tidbit... ON the RL/RE/FB, when you are ready to leave and put you slides in, it seems natural to close each door and hit the button.Â* Caution:Â* you must have the bedroom door latched open when you move the bedroom slide in - or the door will be crushed in the door frame.Â* This seems intuitive except that you are activitng the slide from around the corner.Â* Be careful.
One mod I had made was having the dealer put addition latches on eachÂ*door of the washer/dryer closet.Â* From the factory, the second of eachÂ*double door (the one farthest from the hinges)Â*just flops around and isÂ*not held closed.Â* When you see this on yours, you will be disappointed.Â* Add an additional latch to each.Â* Just a small thing.Â*
BEDROOM DOOR VS THE SLIDE: It seems to me that this could be an easy fix. The factory should install a contact switch that disables the slide switch until the door is in the proper position.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #45

Quote:
I check the height of of my 36 RL today on a level pad. 13 foot 4 inches at the front A/C.
I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER FORUM. WOW!

I think the 40' limit would be quite restrictive on your adventure. (Point brought up by WyoN) I have driven commercial vehicles for many yrs, and find that the bigger (height, width, length, weight) the fewer choices and the more messes you get in. (I just saw a NEW 5er jammed under an 'unexpected' railway overpass) It just happened to have a slight rise on the far side, and CRUNCH.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/campi...#ixzz1qqDyKjJ4[b]Edited by: John317
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John317
Quote:
I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER FORUM. WOW!

I think the 40' limit would be quite restrictive on your adventure. (Point brought up by WyoN) I have driven commercial vehicles for many yrs, and find that the bigger (height, width, length, weight) the fewer choices and the more messes you get in. (I just saw a NEW 5er jammed under an 'unexpected' railway overpass) It just happened to have a slight rise on the far side, and CRUNCH.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/campi...#ixzz1qqDyKjJ4

Each state is a little different when it comes to length of a pull behind RV. In Illinois that legal length is 40 ft. However all states have a legal height of 13.6. Any time you get above 12ft you really have to watch where you go. I drove big trucks for 20 years and had watched this all the time. On overpasses sometimes the right hand lane is a little lower and the train bridges are always a problem. On 4 lane highways sometimes you'll see a sign that says "Trucks must use left lane" that can mean 2 things #1 a soft road and they're trying to limit the damage or #2 a short bridge is coming up due to pavement overlay. Make sure you go where the trucks go. In short....stay on federal funded highways as much as you can...carry a truckers map...and be careful
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #47

Each state is a little different when it comes to length of a pull behind RV. In Illinois that legal length is 40 ft. However all states have a legal height of 13.6. Any time you get above 12ft you really have to watch where you go. I drove big trucks for 20 years and had watched this all the time. On overpasses sometimes the right hand lane is a little lower and the train bridges are always a problem. On 4 lane highways sometimes you'll see a sign that says "Trucks must use left lane" that can mean 2 things #1 a soft road and they're trying to limit the damage or #2 a short bridge is coming up due to pavement overlay. Make sure you go where the trucks go. In short....stay on federal funded highways as much as you can...carry a truckers map...and be careful

You said it all in a nut shell on this one Dave!

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #48

I was driving on a 4 lane road in Atlanta today and went under and arched, stone bridge. The bridge had lots of scars on the ceiling on both outside lanes. The only "low clearance" warning was mounted on the right side of the bridge and it wasn't visible until you about 150' from it. Glad I wasn't towing the trailer.
We use a Garmin 365T which is a "trucker's" model. You can input your rigs dimensions, such as height, length and width and it's supposed to guide you away from low clearances and tight turns.. hopefully.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #49

All,

Check out the Rand McNally GPSs on Camping World site... they have the RV and Trucker models that will warn you about low bridges and road weight limits.

BradPAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
Site Team

In the old days I'd set my CB antennas to 13'8 and when I was around fuel islands and low telephone wires I knew that if I heard them hit then I had to get out and look.

Of course I couldn't do that going down the highway so I just smeared KY jelly all over the truck. That way the bugs wouldn't stick and the rig would slide under short overpasses without loosing as much paint
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #51

Don't give away all of your secrets

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #52

Do drugstores carry it in 5 gal. pails now??
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #53
Site Team

yes for those active type of people

Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #54

Which one do you use. The pink one or blue one? LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #55

I knew the KY statement wouldn't get far without some snickering...
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinAnderson
I knew the KY statement wouldn't get far without some snickering...
Yea some people are just up tight

Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #57

We should just let it slide!OMG
Old 04-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #58

OMG... so funny Skipper!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #59

man... you guys are too slick to handle..
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #60

These from the guys that didn't want "wood" in our club's name because our Redwoods are too classy. I love it...hehe