Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #1

We have been experiencing an invasion of fruit flies or something larger. They seem to be attracted to the bath room morror. It started four weeks ago with an occassional visitor. Then every week since they seem to have grown in population. Last night my wife thought that they were coming from the AC duct. We keep the sink drain closed and the bath drain covered and have no idea where they reside. We do keep fresh fruit and tomatoes. But there are none in or around the covered bowl. Has anyone else had this problem?
Another question, my wife has killed tiny spiders on the bed room ceiling all summer?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #2

We have been fighting spiders all summer here in Waco. Have not had the other bugs so far. Also had a mud-dobbers nest appear on the wall next to my side of the bed. Not sure how they got in, but the nest was full of little spiders - weird.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobys Home
We have been experiencing an invasion of fruit flies or something larger. They seem to be attracted to the bath room morror. It started four weeks ago with an occassional visitor. Then every week since they seem to have grown in population. Last night my wife thought that they were coming from the AC duct. We keep the sink drain closed and the bath drain covered and have no idea where they reside. We do keep fresh fruit and tomatoes. But there are none in or around the covered bowl. Has anyone else had this problem?
Another question, my wife has killed tiny spiders on the bed room ceiling all summer?
We had the same problem at our home with fruit flys so my smart wife poured a couple of small cups of apple cyder with a few drops of dish soap. It takes over night to work but they fly into the apple cyder for a drink and then the dish soap prevents them from flying off. Each cup will have a bunch of them floating.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #4

"Dave Thanks" for the info, I will do Ginny's remedy next wekend when we go to camp for the long weekend. But where do they come from? I thought that there was a problem with the holding tanks and not having a trap in a line and allowing those flitter critters in. We shall see next weekend!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Hmmm, apple cider... I never thought of that. Being from Connecticut, we've always used Merlot. I know it sounds pricey, but it's comparable because you don't need the soap. After they stop in for a drink, If any can actually take off, they run into walls or fall asleep on the rim and fall in. If you want it to work faster, just put on a DVD concert like Chicago and put your wine glasses in front of the television. They drink a lot more if they think they're at a party!
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

I prefer to give the flies the cider and keep the wine and music for myself.... but that's just me.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
Site Team

HOLD ON FOLKS I MADE A MISTAKE!! It's apple cyder vinegar with a few drops of dish soap.

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
Hmmm, apple cider... I never thought of that. Being from Connecticut, we've always used Merlot. I know it sounds pricey, but it's comparable because you don't need the soap. After they stop in for a drink, If any can actually take off, they run into walls or fall asleep on the rim and fall in. If you want it to work faster, just put on a DVD concert like Chicago and put your wine glasses in front of the television. They drink a lot more if they think they're at a party!
OH the life of a fruit fly
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #9

Hi All,

Apple Cider Vinegar is the correct thing to use. You can put it in a small dish or cup covered with tin foil. Poke holes in the tin foil with a large toothpick and set aside... this way it traps them and will not spill.

As for spiders... I am a long time boater... where are insects show up spiders follow immediately! They lay eggs right away and you spend the rest of your life getting rid of them. We use several products on our sail boat and the RW that can be sprayed around openings on the window mechanisms to keep them out or spray in cracks or corners where they hide to kill them and them kin.

Good luck... winter up in Canada slows them down for a few months... down south they thrive 365.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #10

Any home remedies for the stink bug? We have been infested with them on the east coast. They don't bite, but they look creepy and smell. At least the skunks have figured out a way to eat them.

USN Retired

Radio_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

I don't know of anything that works against stink bugs. Their only natural enemy is the praying mantis. The best you can do is vacuum them up or use a paper towel and pick them up and take them outside. You can try to seal up all their potential entry points into the RV, but likely you'll miss some of them. It will be a constant struggle.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #12

Sure glad I posted my problem. I must admit I thought I was all alone. BUT we all have a story to tell and complain about. I will be spraying all holes with an ogranic none poisoness bug killer this weekend along with building the perfect fruit fly catcher. Thanks again everyone. One caviat is that we will use a JACK DANIELS shot glass to attract the little pests. I'll just have to drink from the bottle.JOIN ME?
Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #13

Well the cider is working well inside. But discovered last night when I arrived at camp. We have fruit flies all around the camper outside. We are close to a moving brook and it has been very wet this late summer and fall. When the cold weather arrives I hope it will knock them off. We are here till the end of Oct.