Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

What is that thud noise ?

Every now and then and happening more is a thud/ creek sound while In trailer ... Sitting watching tv and the trailer makes that creeking thud . Walking or movement In trailer makes it happen more ? Fluids for jacks are good .. Any thoughts ?? Thanks in advance !
Steve & Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #2

Our jacks made a thud Noise mostly in the winter. You can search the Forum there as some thing about adding some special oil to the system that helped control that from happening. I never did it as it seamed to stop on its own after we had our Trailer a year.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Remove 1 quart of the fluid in the reservoir and replace that quart with a 15w motorcycle fork oil, then cycle the slides & jacks a few times & will quiet them considerably. Be sure when checking the fluid all jacks are up & all slides are in, good time is when hooked up ready to move, & fluid should be 1/4-1/2" from the opening when full. Mine 3 1/2 years old & the oil change was done in the first year, but still pops & cracks occasionally especially during large temperature differences, cold at night & hot during the day.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Also helps to keep the extension to a minimum with extra blocks. On mine, the shorter distance the Jack is extended, the less it does it..
Old 07-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #5
Dan

Here is a copy from Lippert:
I used the Caterpillar fluid

Rev: 07.16.2013 Page 1 of 1
Contact us: Lippert Components Inc. - Welcome to Lippert Customer Service - Phone: (574) 537-8900 - Email: warranty@lci1.com
LIP Sheet - 0295
HYDRAULICS
ADDING ANTI-STICTION FLUID TO LCI HYDRAULIC SYSTEMS
Introduction:
If there is a popping noise in a Lippert Leveling system, Lippert has approved adding a quart of anti-stiction
fluid. Approved fluids are listed by brand name and fluid characteristics below:
1. Torco RFF Grade 15 (Fig. 1)
2. Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15 (Fig. 2)
3. Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 (Fig. 3)
For maximum results in the shortest amount of time, please follow the preparation and procedure exactly
as written below. Failure to follow the preparation and procedure may result in delayed resolution of the
audible disturbance.
Preparation:
1. Obtain a clean container (large enough to hold a quart of fluid)
2. Obtain a fluid extraction device (siphon, turkey baster, etc.)
3. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
Process:
1. Using the fluid extraction device, remove one quart of fluid from the power unit reservoir.
2. Add 1/2 quart of the specified fluid.
3. Extend all hydraulic cylinders and jacks fully.
4. Add the remaining amount of the specified fluid.
5. Fully retract all hydraulic cylinders and jacks.
6. Run the Auto-Level feature on the Level-Up system per the instructions found in the Owner's Manual.
NOTE: If the noise persists, the addition of a second quart may be necessary. Follow steps 1 through 6.
Fig. 1 Fig. 2 Fig. 3

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper guy View Post
Also helps to keep the extension to a minimum with extra blocks. On mine, the shorter distance the Jack is extended, the less it does it..
I do the same and it helps. Also makes the coach more steady.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Remove 1 quart of the fluid in the reservoir and replace that quart with a 15w motorcycle fork oil, then cycle the slides & jacks a few times & will quiet them considerably. Be sure when checking the fluid all jacks are up & all slides are in, good time is when hooked up ready to move, & fluid should be 1/4-1/2" from the opening when full. Mine 3 1/2 years old & the oil change was done in the first year, but still pops & cracks occasionally especially during large temperature differences, cold at night & hot during the day.

Danny...........I think you just answered a question that I asked myself yesterday. I pulled my 36RL out of my barn yesterday and once I had the coach hooked up to my truck and had all of the hydraulic jacks raised up, I checked the level of the hydraulic oil in the canister and the level was down about two inches from the fill opening. So, you are saying it should be within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch? Is that official? Maybe I need to add some of that anti-stiction oil, fork oil or caterpillar oil. Redwood supposedly added some in 2012 but I still get an occasional pop from the jacks.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Guy
The reservoir on mine has a fill line marked in the outside
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 AM   #9

I can't see a fill line on mine (damn bifocals), but that's what they told me at the service center. Guy, I would guess if it's down a couple inches you need to add some, as long as all slides & jacks are retracted it won't be overfilled.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Wood View Post
Guy
The reservoir on mine has a fill line marked in the outside
Shane,

I will have to get closer to see if there is a fill line. I was about 4 feet away from the reservoir. I have the same problem as Danny...........except mine are trifocals and my eyes are few years older.

Guy

Old 07-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #11

Try bright light and a grandchild to check things like this?
Used "little people" to help with tight spaces on my sailboat a few years ago.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 PM   #12

Do you mean "Little People" or little people??
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #13

Jacks Popping

I have added the quart of fork oil 3 times now and my jacks are still popping and louder than ever. It feels like somebody is hitting the trailer with a hammer.

There's got to be a cure.

Frustrated full-timer.
jhurst871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurst871 View Post
I have added the quart of fork oil 3 times now and my jacks are still popping and louder than ever. It feels like somebody is hitting the trailer with a hammer.

Frustrated full-timer.
I had the same issue and was never able to cure it. I tried all the fluids that Redwood and Lippert recommended. The noise was so bad that the neighbors next to my summer site starting complaining as it would wake them up at night. I used to warn them when I would plan on doing laundry - they would leave for the afternoon. I finally became so frustrated with it that I sold my Redwood...90% of the reason for selling the coach was the jacks and 10% was for other reasons. I hope you are able to solve your problem soon.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 AM   #15

Yes, do keep us posted. We have added the stiction fluid just once, and it seemed to help some, but they still do it. NEVER in the cold weather we have noticed, but in the warm part of the day in the summer, often. It's not TERRIBLY loud, I don't think it would bother neighbors (hope not). Would like to make it stop though for sure.

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurst871 View Post

Frustrated full-timer.
The cure is rather simple. Place a 4" high wooden block beneath each jack foot.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #17

Ours popped a lot when we first got the RW. I put in the forklift oil and I always have 6" Blocks under each Jack and they have not popped in over two years. I have a friend with SOB and his did the same thing. Not just a RW issue it is a Level up issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 PM   #18

Every time I heard that pop at night, I was sure I just experienced that crack in the siding below the bedroom slide and would get my robe and flashlight to go look

Drove Dory crazy.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Snowbirds View Post
The cure is rather simple. Place a 4" high wooden block beneath each jack foot.

I agree completely.

Back in 2013, the Redwood service added the anti-stiction fluid to the hydraulic system. It did help some but was not a complete cure. It has never been an overwhelming issue for me so I haven't been too excited about the issue.

I have observed this past winter, while staying in Florida with temperatures up to 85 degrees, that placing 5 3/4 inch platforms under each jack completely eliminated the popping. Last summer in Indiana with similar temperatures, I noticed the jacks popping quite frequently (without any platforms under the jacks).

It seems that the more the jacks are extended, the more issue there is with the popping.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:48 AM   #20

Thanks for this posting guys... I had no idea about the blocks. I will try that. I guess that kind of makes sense... It will probably get worse after we have the Moryde suspension put on in the fall because will add a couple inches of height, ergo, the jacks will have to be extended a little more presumably. It might get worse. SO glad I read this thread!

Living the Dream in our 2015 38RL: 1600 watts solar, 800 ah lithium, slide in slide, residential refer, washer/dryer, Moryde 8K, H rated tires, Kodiak disc brakes, Drainmaster system, SeeLevel II
Our big girl is dragged around by our 2019 RAM 3500 Limited DRW
Grateful Veterans, Proud Americans, Devoted Partners, Parents and Grandparents!
LOVE the Full Time RV Life @OurRomanyLife
RomanyLife is offline   Reply With Quote