Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 02:52 AM   #1

Water won't stop!

Just filled my fresh water tank until the overflow started dripping water. Unhooked water supply and the water has been running out of the overflow for an hour. Why? I tried running the water level down and it won't stop. Gauge reads 3/4 level.
Any suggestions or advice please.
PsychoBob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:26 AM   #2

There are a number of threads on this topic. Check here: http://www.redwoodowners.com/forums/...phon-2137.html
Old 11-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

What year is your RW?

It's absolutely unbelievable to me that people are still experiencing this problem. RW...if it hasn't been fixed in your newer designs, shame on you. If this is an "older" RW, then there should be a recall for crying out loud.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

It's a 2015 39MB. It finally stopped running out of the overflow but my info center say's the tank is empty and it said full when this all started but we a still getting water from the faucets and we are not hooked to the city water.

I have filled this tank many times before the same way and have never had it drain this long. Maybe I did really over fill the tank and it just took that long to get it to level out. Weird that the gauge went from full to empty and there is obviously water in the tank . I even checked at the tank drain and a pretty heavy stream comes out telling me there is some good head pressure to push water out.

I don't know.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #5

You could have created a siphon ? My last fiver had that happen , and once it started , I had to STOP the flow for it to stay stopped.. I put a ball valve shut-off on the overflow tube that stays open at all times , EXCEPT when filling..
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #6

Redwood must be so embarrassed to read this. My 2012 did this & they had to take my unit apart to fix it. I said, Oh no, if they have to take my RW apart, they'll probably have to repair every unit that went out in 2012.
Now here we are in 2015 and owners are still complaining about this. Shame, shame...
I bet the shower doors on the 2015s are leaking too.
Unbelievable...
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:29 AM   #7

That's OK, the problem still exists in the 2016 units!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #8

Yep...we can also attest to the 2016 shower doors still leaking. Clear silicon works wonders.
scott&phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #9

Same thing here for us on the shower door. An amateur installation at best. I took the bottom track off... no seal on the ends water just runs down the track to the vertical joint and under the track out onto the floor... All the lower track is held in place by is double sticky tape.

Amateur, Amateur Amateur job. Took me about 30 minutes to take it apart, caulk and reassemble. So on initial install if the person took 10 minutes extra effort this NEVER would be a problem.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #10

Better yet would be to spend that 10 extra minutes & show that same guy the correct way to install/seal it the first time & maybe he sure he does it correctly from then on & if he can't boot him out & put some one there that can. It's just an awful shame that this little annoying crap can't seem to be corrected & has been happening from day one, how long would most of us lasted on a job where we made the same mistake for 5 years that some one down the line had to correct over & over & over again?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Site Team

That's a shame.......
Old 11-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #12

Well it's official I pulled down the basement wall and there was NO vent line hooked to the back of the control center for the vent to the fresh water tank . I looked all over for the line that's SUPPOSED to be hooked up there but no luck. So now what? Ugg the quality control and attention to detail is just terrible. If I wanted to buy something new just to reeginneer it I wouldn't have. Sorry! Just venting. Not!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBob65 View Post
Well it's official I pulled down the basement wall and there was NO vent line hooked to the back of the control center for the vent to the fresh water tank . I looked all over for the line that's SUPPOSED to be hooked up there but no luck. So now what? Ugg the quality control and attention to detail is just terrible. If I wanted to buy something new just to reeginneer it I wouldn't have. Sorry! Just venting. Not!
Redwood doesn't have the vent line coming up to the back of the panel by the fill. They didn't put it there because it would slosh water into your cabinet while traveling. Instead it's down between the low point drains.

It wasn't a QA thing, it was designed that way.

atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #14

Thanks for the picture and it makes perfect sense why they wouldn't put it there but this siphoning is crazy. I had 2 other park guest come tell me I was leaking a lot of water out, which I was. I just did the full winterizing today and I know the drains you're talking about. There is not any other hose coming out from under the RV. There are the 2 low point drains as in the picture, 1 fresh water tank drain and the small blue vent line were the waters siphoning out. That's all. I covered every inch of the underbelly and in behind the basement wall. It's getting discouraging. I'm gonna call my dealer and go look at a model on the lot and have them show me were its at.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #15

Hmmm, something is odd. Can you see water coming out of that white line?

I ask, because mine has another blue line, and that one will siphon on me when I fill. I valved that one as shown. I've never had the white one siphon down. It will discharge water when I'm completely full, but doesn't siphon.

Is it possible you have the blue line and it's tucked up in there somewhere you can't get to?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #16

On mine,the 2 lines were directly next to each other.. I did the same as Brad , i added a ball valve shut off.. No more siphon problem.. Fill it till it overflowed,closed the valve and went camping with a full tank
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #17

It is very strange. were the white hose should be coming out there is nothing, not even a hole that's been sealed up. my 2 blue lines at the back of the rig are like the picture. 1 line for the drain has the shut off on it and the other that is a little further back is just a blue hose with no valve on it.

I do like the idea of putting a valve on the other line and just shut it off after the tank is full but wouldn't that cause a vacuum on the tank if there is no other vent in the system when you go to use the water from the tank?

I did follow the other 2 drain lines that are at the front of the rig. They are red and blue and go to the hot and cold water manifold right behind the basement wall.

The case of the missing hose. I'm for sure not going to pull the bottom pan of this trailer unless I really have to.

What are the chances that they hook it to another line and ran it up to the plumbing vent? There's a lot of hoses behind this wall and Ive pretty much ID'd all of them. There are a couple that come out of the hole in the floor and go up towards ??? that aren't obvious what they do.

Sorry for all the questions but I would really like to solve this if possible. I spoke with the dealer this morning and they said to bring it in and they would look at it. Kind of hard to do when your living in it. There tech was no help either, he had never heard of the problem. They don't even have another unit on the lot to go look at either.

Thanks everybody for all your help and suggestions.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #18

I forgot you had the MB, which is laid out different.

If you valve that line, no problem with the venting. I suspect the first time you close the valve on both blue lines and fill the tank, you'll find out pretty fast where the white overflow is as it will probably fill the basement and make a mess. I would find that before anything. If your tank is in the back, it's going to be close to the tank back there, not in the front like the 36RL.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #19

Yes sir I do have the MB. Well the search will continue and hopefully I'll find out were it is vented. I am going to go to the Home depot and pick me up a valve and put in on the back line to at least help me save my water storage.