Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Water will not stop coming out the blue tube

I am new to RVing and new to this site. I have lived in my Redwood for 9 months. I had someone change out the water filter the other day and now the water will not stop running out the blue overflow tube under my RV. Can you help me understand why the water is coming out? I have always been hooked to city water, I have yet to boondock, so why is water even in my fresh water tank? Thanks for your help!
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
GA1817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 355
Is the valve turned off? He likely turned it on to relieve pressure prior to installing the filter and forgot to turn it off.
__________________
Dean & Cindy (Go DAWGS)
2013 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4.10 "Plain Jane"
(RIP "Struck by Lightning")
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
GA1817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 355
Someone will correct me if I am wrong but the blue is simply your cold water drain line and the red your hot water drain line. When the Tech came to change your filter out he turned your water supply off and opened up the blue petcock to relieve pressure from the line. He simply forgot to close it.

If I am incorrect this message will self destruct once I am called out on it.
__________________
Dean & Cindy (Go DAWGS)
2013 Ram 3500 CC DRW 4.10 "Plain Jane"
(RIP "Struck by Lightning")
B&W 3600 Hitch 25K/6.25k
2012 36RL, Disc Brakes, G614's, 7K axles, Combo WD, Awning Toppers
Full Time Since April 1 2015:)!
GA1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Thank you! The tech is my boyfriend, I will ask to see if he remembers turning a valve off when he installed the new filter.
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
No he said that he only turned off the water at the city side. He did not turn off a valve on the RV.
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
Site Team
 
hoosierguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conniebrad View Post
I am new to RVing and new to this site. I have lived in my Redwood for 9 months. I had someone change out the water filter the other day and now the water will not stop running out the blue overflow tube under my RV. Can you help me understand why the water is coming out? I have always been hooked to city water, I have yet to boondock, so why is water even in my fresh water tank? Thanks for your help!

There have been a few of the folks that have had a problem with the check valve next to the water pump. Sometimes the check valve can stick in a manner that allows water from the outside supply to back flow through the pump into the fresh water tank. Eventually, the tank fills and overflows. You could try turning off the outside water supply and then run the pump to see if that will dislodge the check valve. Then turn off the pump and turn on the outside supply. This may take a few attempts to work.

You may also want to wait for awhile after you turn off the outside supply. There has been a syphoning issue with some of the early builds and it takes awhile for the syphoning to stop.....on mine the water ran for a few minutes until it drained about 1/3 of the tank. After the water stops draining, then try the above procedure to see if that helps.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Guy & Phyllis
2012 RW36RL,DualA/C,KodiakDiskBrakes,TrailAir Tri-Glide,GY_G614's,Mor/RydeSRE4000,HDShackles/WetBolts
2011Dodge3500Laramie,CrewCab,4x4,SRW,Michelins, LongBed,6.7LCTD,3.73,PullRiteSuper5th20.5KHitch, BlueOxBedsaver

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Thanks Guy, I will try that this evening. Mine is also a 2012 build.
Conniebrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Shane Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,940
Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
There have been a few of the folks that have had a problem with the check valve next to the water pump. Sometimes the check valve can stick in a manner that allows water from the outside supply to back flow through the pump into the fresh water tank. Eventually, the tank fills and overflows. You could try turning off the outside water supply and then run the pump to see if that will dislodge the check valve. Then turn off the pump and turn on the outside supply. This may take a few attempts to work.

You may also want to wait for awhile after you turn off the outside supply. There has been a syphoning issue with some of the early builds and it takes awhile for the syphoning to stop.....on mine the water ran for a few minutes until it drained about 1/3 of the tank. After the water stops draining, then try the above procedure to see if that helps.

Hope this helps.
when I brought mine home there was 1/3 of a tank of fresh water. I checked the tank monitor and it said full. I couldn't figure o it how this tank was filling from city water. This might be it. I emptied it back down to a 3rd and will monitor to see if it fills again.
thanks
__________________
2015 36RL pushing a 2015 Denali
Shane Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Sunday: 12/4/2016:
Hi We are full timers for 2 years in our new to us 2012 36RE. We are connected to city water and haven't changed a thing in 9 months. For no reason water started draining from the blue hose under the RV. did I bump something? Both water pump switches are off. We turned the city water off and It still drains when we turn city water back on. the heater red large switch is in normal. should it be in bypass? straight up and down aka horizontal or perpendicular to the ground
or should that matter? we are having to use the water tank and pumps instead of city.
water. What has happened? When we run out of water tank we will have to fill it again?
Thanks for any guidance. We are calling the factory tomorrow.
Barb and Patrick
Barbara McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
r time soon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara McSweeney View Post
Sunday: 12/4/2016:
Hi We are full timers for 2 years in our new to us 2012 36RE. We are connected to city water and haven't changed a thing in 9 months. For no reason water started draining from the blue hose under the RV. did I bump something? Both water pump switches are off. We turned the city water off and It still drains when we turn city water back on. the heater red large switch is in normal. should it be in bypass? straight up and down aka horizontal or perpendicular to the ground
or should that matter? we are having to use the water tank and pumps instead of city.
water. What has happened? When we run out of water tank we will have to fill it again?
Thanks for any guidance. We are calling the factory tomorrow.
Barb and Patrick
OK, now we know that you are hooked up to city water. Several here have had the same problem. A check valve by itself, or the checkvalve in the ShurFlo water pump has failed. Either by a small piece of sand or debris but it has failed allowing the water to enter the fresh tank. Turn off the city hose, release pressure by using a water fixture. Turn on water pump, run a water fixture to try to release debris. May or may not clear the problem. Go back to using city water. Behind your basement wall where the water pump is located, there is a quarter turn valve in line to the fresh tank. This is normally used when winterizing to draw antifreeze from the external hose, rather than draw water from the tank. Turn this valve off and try using city water again. Check valves can be easily replaced from a supply store. The check valve in the water pump can be replaced also. Check to see if this changes your water situation and report back.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
travelin' texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,886
I totally agree with Chris. What he's saying is water is bypassing/leaking by your water pump & filling your fresh water tank & the blue piping is the overflow. Once the check valve is repaired you should not have water running from the blue line & could open the fresh water drain to drain the tank.
__________________
Danny & Linda
Former '13 FB owner
Currently rvless!
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
atom ant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,101
You should have a 1/4 turn valve down at the floor behind the basement wall near the water pump. You have to access it through the hatch in the wall. Close that and it should stop until you can get the check valve fixed.

here are some pics with the wall removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water Filter 04-10-2014-002.jpg (163.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Water Filter 04-10-2014-005.jpg (284.0 KB, 16 views)
__________________
Brad & Dory - Lone Tree, CO
CURRENT - 2013 Itasca Meridian 42E/2013 Wrangler 4dr Sahara
SOLD - 2014 Redwood 36RL/2014 F350 DRW
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
If the check valve is bad and the tank is filling with water, I think I'd go ahead and fill the fresh water tank and use that pump for a week or so and see if it helps free the check valve. Also I believe the check valve is located within the pump housing. A couple of taps with your hand or a rubber mallet might free it up.

As was already said there is a valve that is used for winterizing that can be flipped. Either turn that valve or disconnect from the city water otherwise that tank is going to keep overflowing
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Water overflow

Hi Dave and Ginny,
Thanks so much it worked! Now we will replace the check valve.
Happy RV ing!
Barbara and Patrick
Nettles Island
Jensen Beach FL
Barbara McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 302
Has anyone had a problem with the water pump cutting on and off, if I turn a few faucets on it will stay running, but with just one on it cycles on and off. Is this normal?
__________________
2012 Ford F450 Lariat, 2013 Redwood 36FB
Buddy Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Site Team
 
Dave&Ginny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the water pump cutting on and off, if I turn a few faucets on it will stay running, but with just one on it cycles on and off. Is this normal?

Yes, these are "on demand" pumps. So if only one faucet is on it won't need to run at a constant rate.
__________________
SOB "The RV Wiseguy"
Dave&Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Wallace View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the water pump cutting on and off, if I turn a few faucets on it will stay running, but with just one on it cycles on and off. Is this normal?
If/when you need a new pump, replace your existing with the ShurFlo 4008 Series. These pumps have no rapid cycling.
__________________
2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2013 36FL
Cindy and Tom, Toby and Kasey (our Berner and Newfie)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
proteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 210
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara McSweeney View Post
Sunday: 12/4/2016:
Hi We are full timers for 2 years in our new to us 2012 36RE. We are connected to city water and haven't changed a thing in 9 months. For no reason water started draining from the blue hose under the RV. did I bump something? Both water pump switches are off. We turned the city water off and It still drains when we turn city water back on. the heater red large switch is in normal. should it be in bypass? straight up and down aka horizontal or perpendicular to the ground
or should that matter? we are having to use the water tank and pumps instead of city.
water. What has happened? When we run out of water tank we will have to fill it again?
Thanks for any guidance. We are calling the factory tomorrow.
Barb and Patrick
had this exactly happen to me same model 36RE 2012

the little black handled valve behind the bulkhead door in belly on or near the floor where the water filter access door is.look below with a flashlight.

flush line valve was open? it filled tank twice ,thought check valve was bad as this came from a very hard water area near midland odessa tx

now i have a backup pump and spare parts that r unused for the moment,

i see they make a service kit for the check valve also , but as i am working, full timing taking system off line after work in the dark is not a option now and having a leak, no way ,not now


closed valve now not a drop since tank is empty also had a issue with unlabeled switches in utility valve center, tank drain valve is open and it is dry underneath,


Also have u serviced washer flex line under bed ? mine came loose and flooded bedroom carpet when i first got it

it had no washers on it from the factory fixed it now tight as heck and wont separate

and ice maker line also split open

i have the fix posted here in tech

talk to me any time i would appreciate communication with another 36 RE owner

Karl b.
Austin tx /Dallas
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Redwood RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×