Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Water pump

Can anyone tell me which 12v fuse controls the water pump? It has been fine until I stopped and turned it on this morning. Nothing!😁
mstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:25 PM   #2

It shouldn't be in the distribution panel like you would think. It should be on it's own separate fuse holder right next to the water pump itself. 15 amp MAX. Fuse is red in color. Don't forget that the water pump can be turned on/off in 2 different places. On your command center in living area where other switches and tank monitors are, the other location is near your convenience center where city fill/ and gravity fill are located for water and tank dump valve locations.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Chris, thank you for the response. I figured out that the fuse panel is not the only fuse. I have checked both switches. I know there is another fuse. However on my GK it isn't obvious or easy to get to. Plus it is rainning like crazy so I will just have to wait till I get parked tonight to trace it out. Thank you
Mark
Old 10-02-2015, 02:41 AM   #4

Chris, I got parked this eve and opened up the basement. As best as I can tell there is no fuse anywhere close to the pump itself. I traced the wires to the other switch which is located outside at the convenience center. I did not unscrew the whole wall because i have way to much stuff to just sit out here at the park. So I am not sure where a second fuse would be located. I don't know if anyone else has had any issues with the water pump that would like to jump in here and offer a hint as to where the fuse controlling the water pump is located. No wiring diagram for the 2015 38 Gk so I am just looking.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Do you have a meter so you can check for power (12 VDC)??
I have had several intermittent loss of power at the Awning and found the Faston connector no longer attached to the switch, plus I have found misc poor crimps that were causing problems.
I would be looking for power at and through each of the Water Pump switches and work my way to the pump. I don't recall if they used crimp connectors at the pump or just wire nuts, but would check them also.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

May want to take the end of pump apart & make sure that there's not a piece of tank cuttings stopping the pump.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #7

Would agree on testing with a meter to determine if you have 12v at the switches that lead to the pump. Should be no second fuse location if it wasn't right near the water pump. If 12v is there at the pump, and pump is not running, sounds like it could be the pump itself. If that was the case you could remove pump and do a partial disassembly of the pump head. There shouldn't be debris in there because there is the sediment screen filter attached to the pump itself.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NW Snowbirds
My pump would not run two days ago. I pulled it out and played with it in my shop. A spade connector on the pump pressure switch was not making a good connection. The + power connects to the pressure switch on the end of the pump and then to the pump motor. When the pressure switch senses 50 psi the switch cuts power to the pump motor. It could also be a faulty pressure switch. I just ordered a spare for $15. The power to the pump is connected with wire nuts on my unit.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #9

Agree that using a meter for checking for 12 VDC at the pump would be a good first step.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstan View Post
Chris, I got parked this eve and opened up the basement. As best as I can tell there is no fuse anywhere close to the pump itself. I traced the wires to the other switch which is located outside at the convenience center. I did not unscrew the whole wall because i have way to much stuff to just sit out here at the park. So I am not sure where a second fuse would be located. I don't know if anyone else has had any issues with the water pump that would like to jump in here and offer a hint as to where the fuse controlling the water pump is located. No wiring diagram for the 2015 38 Gk so I am just looking.

I had to replace my motor/pump this summer due to the pump developing a very slow leak. The motor was connected to the power leads with wire nuts. I found no evidence of an inline fuse anywhere in the wire bundle. If there is one, it is well hidden and if that is the case, SHAME ON REDWOOD. Fuses should never be hidden.

I would recommend that you get a voltmeter and start tracing the 12 VDC voltage through the circuit. Start at the motor and work your way back towards the power source. I have seen the quick connect terminals come loose from the switches for the awnings so that is something to check on the switches for the pump.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:48 AM   #11

Water pump

Guy, I have also traced out the wires as best I could while on the road. NO INLINE FUSE that I have found yet. And there is not fuse in the panel listed water pump. But the mystery has got even stranger now. After being on the road for 500 miles today. I get home and just for kicks I flipped the switch inside and the pump came to life. NOW, how long will it work? i hate problems like this. Have no clue if it is a loose wire or the switch itself. I am betting that the switch is the culprit.

Mark
Old 10-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Guy, I have also traced out the wires as best I could while on the road. NO INLINE FUSE that I have found yet. And there is not fuse in the panel listed water pump. But the mystery has got even stranger now. After being on the road for 500 miles today. I get home and just for kicks I flipped the switch inside and the pump came to life. NOW, how long will it work? i hate problems like this. Have no clue if it is a loose wire or the switch itself. I am betting that the switch is the culprit.

Mark

I'd start looking at the grounds and the switches.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

and those wire nuts. They use a crimp type. Redwood actually did pretty well with them compared to SOB, but they can hide a lose connection. Wiggle the wires while holding that nut and see if it is lose.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

Mark

Switches rarely become intermittent, not impossible, but rare. For example, I had a rocker switch in the front closet overhead light all of a sudden just stop working for no apparent reason. That type of switch is a very cheap switch and due to its design, it was never going to make contact again.

Since you have found that the issue is intermittent, I would start checking the connections such as the wire nuts and the quick connect terminals at the switch terminals. You will have to follow the wire leads all the way back to the source. It could be bad crimps at the quick connects, quick connects not fully seated or loose wire nuts. I would remove each wire nut and make sure that the wires are fully wrapped together. I have found wires that appear to be seated into the nut but a slight tug on it will pull it out.

Intermittents are frustrating to find, but persistence will pay off.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote