Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Water lines to W/D (under Bed)

Greetings all....Again I would like to Thank those that have posted their experiences with this issue....I have done some searches on this topic and found that a few have had leaks (or worse) from these water lines located under the bed on our 2015 38RL (feeding the washer and dryer compartment...) Well today I had some time and pulled the mattress and base ply and had a look....besides the usual debris(old fasteners....electrical clippings....etc) the area under the bed was OK...I did notice one of the lines was a little collapsed.....so after I got access to this area....I had my wife bring the slide in so i could watch the happenings....When the slide is all the way in the two lines are super tight....one more than the other....to the point of a kink as it goes over a plywood edge in the lower bed structure....It may have not failed for another 20 slide "in & outs"....but there is no doubt of eventual failure....I know some have replaced these lines with braided types....etc...Thats fine....I am not put off by the quality of the lines I found....just how they were placed and that they are too short for their intended movement.....I attached a couple of Pex elbows to the pex lines coming out of the floor....added 6-8" of pex (extensions) and re tested....no tension....no pulling tight over abrasive edges and corners....should be fine from this point on...
Anyone with a similar layout should have a look and decide if some action is warranted...BEFORE the big flood !....total time to do the repair is a couple of hours....a few bucks worth of materials....pretty cheap piece of mind....The amount of damage possible from a failure here with the basement below...etc....is the makings of a horror movie..
Again thankyou for others posting this issue....collectively we are smarter....more informed....safer....( I will try and post a pic of the repair)
Wes 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #2

adding a pic to the thread

Please help with direction to add a photo to this thread....Thanks....Wes
Old 06-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #3

water line repair

2015 38RL under bed water line repair / alteration
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190607_121246_resized.jpg (249.3 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Site Team

I remember seeing what is in your picture quite well. We have a 2012 36RL (built in Sept. 2011). Although it is plumbed for the washer/dryer, we have never installed the appliances.

Four years ago, I removed the Euro-springs and replaced with a 1/2 inch plywood. While having the bed area opened up, I decided to check everything under there after reading about the flooding problems that folks have had. I did not find any issue with the supply lines. I did find that the flexible drain line was not more than finger tight, so, whenever water would have been put in those lines, they would have flooded the area under the bed.

I also found part of the framework was made in such a way that the flexible line was dragging on it tending to pull on the compression fittings where the flexible line connected to the rigid ABS drain line. I made some changes so that the flexible line was free to move as the slide moved in and out.

I have always been disappointed with finding these types of issues in what is supposed to be a high quality 5th wheel. Fortunately, our coach has fewer issues than some and I have been able to resolve them myself.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #5

Guy.....I hear you and agree about quality issues...It is fortunate that many of us are "hands on" and forums exist like this one to make fellow owners aware of possible issues....The shop floor is all GO!....so no time for a little extra effort and care....if you have ever gone on a tour you will see everyone is moving quite fast....to keep pace with those behind and in front of them on the assembly line...At this price point there should be less quality control issues but that is not always the case...some have had really good luck with their units...others have been beat up !....Its not for those who don't pay attention or can't do basic repairs...your rig would be at the dealer more than at home...plus when the warranty is off...cost of ownership would go thru the roof..
I have removed the walls in the basement and done some cleanup in the mechanical area....some water lines (pex) installed where they would eventually rub thru....some wiring laying over sharp edges....small propane leak at one of the flare fittings...(just needed tightening)....furnace ductwork pulling off the back of the furnace....minor stuff at this point..
Found that the metal trim strip that goes over the top of the nose cap down to the roof had come loose....Looks like they drove the screws right thru it....so it lifted leaving a crack in the self level where water could get in....again all minor stuff....but you have to keep an eye on things...
Wes

2105 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Wes,

I completely agree with all your comments.

The first time I removed the basement wall, I just had to sit back and laugh in a somewhat aggravated way. I was having an issue with the water pump at the time and ended up having to replace the pump. But, what surprised me was the complete rat's nest of pex plumbing and wiring behind the wall. It looked like the work was done by someone who had no training or guidance.

You sound like someone who is quite familiar with the RV industry. I am a retired electronics/electrical engineer that grew up on a dairy and grain farm in Indiana. I still live in a house that I built myself between 1975 to 1980. I generally know how to do most things mechanical and electrical, or at least, I know when things are not being done well. I have come to the conclusion that these RV manufacturers must have very limit engineering departments. Or, the companies are so dominated by the marketing departments that the end product is under designed or built just to save a little money.

This Redwood is our first and only 5th wheel. Before buying, I researched 5th wheels for about 4 years and was considering purchasing a semi-custom. That company took a standard product and offered a large range of upgrade options which allowed the customer to essentially end up with a custom built product. I think that might be a good model for the entire RV industry to follow. That way, at least the educated customer would end up with a better product. The problem I ran into was that by the time I spec'd out the options that I wanted in the coach, I couldn't afford it anymore.

Thanks for your input and insight.

Guy

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #7

Guy...20+years ago I worked as an RV tech with a local dealership...(I actually ran the service crew)...so buying an RV is a challenge as all I see is junk thru my eyes...but I have mellowed with age..and can't afford a full custom made unit...so our RW is it...I like the rig and will care.for it so it always has value...we are in the throws of selling the farm in Alberta Canada..when that's complete we plan to be full time in our RW for at least three years..on Canada's west coast..
It's been my experience that the RV industry is totally run by bean counters..they know how to do things properly..but there is less profits in that..take.care
Wes 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 06-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #8

My RW is a 38RL and we found the end of the drain hose laying on the floor of the compartment under the bed. They had put a fitting on the inlet and outlet that just had a round hole in the center and they just stuck the flex pipe in the hole and clamped it. But like you said the hose was too short considering the travel of the bedroom slide to stay in and it would pull it out. I picked up two screw on fittings with barbed ends to replace the original and another piece of flex a foot and a half longer and put it together and have had no problems since. We were just lucky that we found the problem before we used our washing machine.
Greg C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #9

At least your drain line was connected.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote