Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #1

We decided to go dry camping in our RL this weekend. I attempted to fill our fresh water tank, but after a short period, water began to pour steadily from a blue hose protruding through the belly pan inside the frame rail. It's not coming from the low-point drain valves (which are both outside the frame rails). Also not coming from the fresh water drain line which is inside the frame rail, but further toward the front. It's just a blue cutoff hose.

It's possible that this is an overflow hose, but the stream of water seems to drain at least 5+ gals of water before dribbling to a stop.

The monitor says "full" when it is flowing and after it gradually stops. But shortly after using some water the tank gauge reads "empty". Certainly Isn't filling to 90 gallons.

Anyone experiencing this or have thoughts?

Edited by: 5th_Time
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time
We decided to go dry camping in our RL this weekend. I attempted to fill our fresh water tank, but after a short period, water began to pour steadily from a blue hose protruding through the belly pan inside the frame rail. It's not coming from the low-point drain valves (which are both outside the frame rails). Also not coming from the fresh water drain line which is inside the frame rail, but further toward the front. It's just a blue cutoff hose.

It's possible that this is an overflow hose, but the stream of water seems to drain at least 5+ gals of water before dribbling to a stop.

The monitor says "full" when it is flowing and after it gradually stops. But shortly after using some water the tank gauge reads "empty". Certainly Isn't filling to 90 gallons.

I had the same trouble one time also I thought it was
overflow also but it kept running, a lot out of the tank drained. It stoped after most of the water drained and I placed my finger over the hose where it was comming out. The water hose that I was using has a lot of
pressure on it so when I refilled the tank I cut the pressure way back and
filled it slow and had no problem, I filled it that time till it overflowed out
the overflow that is located where the fill is.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 PM   #3

I had the problem of water coming out of that blue pipe but I wasn't filling the fresh water tank. I've looked behind the wall in the basement through the water filter door and there seems to be numerous hoses connected to that drain. Just sitting I get luke warm drips and a couple of weeks ago had what seemed like gallons of cold water pouring out as I drove out of an RV park. I asked at the dealer and they have, surprise, no idea what the blue pipe is actually for.
ddurkeeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:

Hi Mike,
That blue hose is the fresh water tankover flow. I had the same problem. Brian had it fixed at the factory. he said you have tolenthen the hose, above the fresh water tank and put a loop in it, like on a dishwasher drain hose, so it won'tpull the water out when the tank gets to a certain level.
Lillyputz
Old 08-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #5

Luckily, I had them fix my RL at the factory while I was at the rally. They filled it to the top and it worked!
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Anyone know if they're taking care of this during manufacturing on newer units?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #7

Sure would like an understanding of how a water tank that is MAYBE 1/3 full would "overflow". I say maybe because the sensors on these tanks are so crappy that they won't give real readings on even the fresh water tank i.e. no solids to foul the sensors.
ddurkeeiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

I had the same problem. I believe that this overflow tube may be down to far into the freshwater tank and when you do start to get water flowing out of it it continues until the water in the tank drop below the end of the tube. Syphon effect going on I think???

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #9

Yes it's Syphoning they try to get a big loop in the line and tie it as high as they can get it. My 2011 did it all the time we added more hose and coiled it up and that stopped it but who runs around with that much water in the fresh tank a full tanks over 800#
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #10

Yes, but if you're staying at a CG that doesn't have water, you need to fill up on the way in and you don't want to lose half of it while getting to your site. Guess I'll have to drop the belly pan under the tanks and do something with that hose.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #11

Hi. Ask Mike what they did to his rig. I don't think they had to drop the belly pan to fix it. We have a FL and I have access to all my plumbing through the access wall in my storage. I think you have a pass through system with access doors on both sides. We only have access to the storage from the right side
Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #12

They did have to remove the belly pan on the front street side to replace the overflow line with a looped one on the RL.Edited by: 5th_Time

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
They did have to remove the belly pan on the front street side to replace the overflow line with a looped one.

Mike,

Did they do that work under warranty?

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #14

Yes, they recognize the problem now.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #15

A quick fix for this if you don't want to open up the belly would be to install a manual valve at the end of the line and close it if water starts to come out. You could open it after you have used enough to get the water level in the tank below the overflow line in the tank. This is a quick fix but requires manual intervention and you would have to remember to open it again&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #16

Had a similar problem but did not involve blue hose. When fresh tank was filled, about a third ran out bottom. Problem was screw had punctured tank during manufacturing. Redwood had to send new tank.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #17
par

Can't help to be concerned here... how can a punctured tank get through the factory's inspection and your dealer's PDI. These constant after delivery fixes must be killing Redwood???
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by par

Can't help to be concerned here... how can a punctured tank get through the factory's inspection and your dealer's PDI. These constant after delivery fixes must be killing Redwood???
It's almost unbelievable, what gets sent out to the public and we all paid a lot of money for the fustrations.

Lillyputz
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by par

If you look at the pictures that I had post of the production line at Redwood, you'll see that the tanks are the first items installed in the frames. Everything else is added as the rig rolls down the line. It would be pretty easy to put a misguided long screw in the wrong place and hit the fresh water tank since it takes up most of the front 4 ft of the trailer.

This would also be very hard to find while checking the trailer out because while testing the water systems, the fresh water tank is rarely filled to capacity by the dealership. I had my trailer for over 3 months before I filled my tank completely since I usually only carry about 1/3 while traveling and the rest of the time I'm hooked up to a hydrant.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #20
par

Don't get me wrong, Redwood is doing an amazing job at recovering from it's mistakes... but every issue that leaves that factory is eventually paid by its customers. Forums tend to bring up faulty issues but the ones I see coming up here cannot help but to affect the bottom line. If I were a manager at Redwood and someone found a tank with a hole in it I would puta processin place to ensure it never happens again... lets hope they think the same way!
par is offline   Reply With Quote