Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Water Inside RV from Tires?

Strange question - Has anyone had problems with the tires kicking rain water under the retracted slides? When we open up after a rainy trip, we find water on the floor under our dining room and kitchen slides (2012 Redwood 31SL) and the water/wet carpet is directly above the wheels. We had two windows removed and resealed (they needed it anyway!) but water is still present. Slide seals seem fine. Awning above slides in good shape. I looked under the RV and noticed a gap in the rubber guard (attached to frame) under the slides, in line with the slide retracting bar (do not know the technical name for it) directly above the wheels. My working theory now is the tires are kicking up water under the retracted slide into the gap, making the floor and carpet under the slide damp. If anyone has had this problem, what have you found to solve it? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Site Team

There's a rubber flap that sometimes gets out of place that helps prevent water from penetrating your coach. I have had the same issue
Old 03-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Sorry you had the problem too but good to know I am not nuts. Those rubber flaps (may have been one long one on each side at one time but now mine is in three pieces on each side - factory or dealer seems to have cut gaps for the slide rods) do the job where they are but nothing stops the water where they are not. Any thoughts on where to get similar flaps or how to affix them to the frame?
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

I do not like traveling in the rain, when going down the highway at 70 mph in the rain, it is like riding out a Hurricane.
When pushing water that hard against anything for a prolonged period, water intrusion will happen.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

We brought ours home through a horrific hail storm and through town in flooded streets that were pushing at least 12" deep water. I was expecting the worse, but it stayed bone dry inside.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:11 AM   #6
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpel View Post
Sorry you had the problem too but good to know I am not nuts. Those rubber flaps (may have been one long one on each side at one time but now mine is in three pieces on each side - factory or dealer seems to have cut gaps for the slide rods) do the job where they are but nothing stops the water where they are not. Any thoughts on where to get similar flaps or how to affix them to the frame?
Bill
There will be another rubber seal (wiper) on the frame under the slide this is the seal you need to worry about that keeps the water out. I am having the same problem and the last time the RV dealer was supposed to adjust it but I am not sure they adjusted enough.

Dan

07 Dodge 3500, Exhaust Brake, Edge Programer, Killer "B" Turbo
13 RL ALL options except Gen and W/D
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #7

It happened to us on one trip where we ran into rain. Checked that wiper on the frame under the slide and found it wasn't behind the clamp to hold it in place for a short section. Loosen the screws and positioned back where it belonged and haven't had any problem since.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #8

hi bill,oldgasser52 here,in regard to your slide water issues we had the identical problems with our 31sl.Our dealer in Eugene,OR George Sutton RV added another 2 heavy duty seals to the underside of slide outer wall and under the coach floor entire length of both.Also a short flashing above each ram.Make sure they secure them well as they are quite heavy.This cured the road spray issue.Good luck,Vern
oldgasser52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #9

Other Reasons for Fluid on Floor under Slide

After great responses to my question, I did more investigation. After dry weather, there is still a sheen under the kitchen slide of our 2012 31SL. I slid some paper under (could not get it far but far enough) and there seems to be a thin, oily deposit under the slide. It transfers to the floor every time the slide is retracted. Just got it back from the dealer before our trip and they bled the disk brake lines as well as checked hydraulic fluid for the slides/jacks. Any thoughts on either of these maintenance items causing the problem or any other reasons you can think of for the oil (it is clean and thin, almost like silicone)?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvpel View Post
After great responses to my question, I did more investigation. After dry weather, there is still a sheen under the kitchen slide of our 2012 31SL. I slid some paper under (could not get it far but far enough) and there seems to be a thin, oily deposit under the slide. It transfers to the floor every time the slide is retracted. Just got it back from the dealer before our trip and they bled the disk brake lines as well as checked hydraulic fluid for the slides/jacks. Any thoughts on either of these maintenance items causing the problem or any other reasons you can think of for the oil (it is clean and thin, almost like silicone)?
I had a very similar issue with my 2013 31SL but it only showed up right below and to the right of the refrigerator (facing the refrigerator it would be to the right). Every time we would extend the slide there would be this oily sheen on the floor about 6 inches wide and about 8 inches long. I would wipe it up with a rag and it would show up again when I would extend the kitchen slide. When it was at the Service Center last year I added that to the list of concerns. They couldn't find anywhere that could cause that. It was finally decided that it must be oily residue from part manufacture and that eventually it would probably stop on its own. The icemaker line doesn't run under there and couldn't see hydraulic lines leaking in that area. Strange because during our last outing a week ago I suddenly realized that I didn't notice that sheen on the floor. Maybe it did resolve itself. Hope so!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:51 AM   #11

I had the same issue with my 2012 and had the rubber strip replace. My rubber seal was improperly installed and left a gap when the slide was retracted. I even had 1/4" +/- between the seal and the bottom of the slide.
Redwood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM   #12

We pulled or Redwood from San Marcos TX to Baton Rouge LA is some very heavy rain this week.
When we got to Baton Rouge and got setup, I looked over everywhere for wet spots / water from towing at 70 mph in such a heavy / constant rain.
I even took the light fixture out in the bedroom and felt up in the ceiling (where we had the recent water leak from the A/C unit).
I am happy to report, I did not find any water or wet feel anywhere, no wet carpet (even in the corners by the slides), no wet kitchen floor and most of all the bedroom ceiling was completely dry.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
Site Team

Good !! Glad to hear it seems to be fixed.

Tags
slide, tires, water leak