Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Hi Everyone...

My wife and I bought a 2012 36RE and we are having the unit towed out to our property tomorrow. Â*My question for you all is the location of the water filter. Â*I didn't expect my unit to have one, but from my reading online I'm led to believe that there may be one in my rig. Â*We did not get a cartridge filter in our Redwood bag when we took delivery. Â*I have checked in the front storage compartment and also in behind the backwall via the small cubby door...I can't see anything that may relate to a water filter.

Do some Redwood units not have a water filter...was it an option that my coach may not have? Â*Or, if they all should have one...could mine be located somewhere else?

Any and all replies are appreciated.

Edited by: Vandam
Vandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #2

We have a 2013 36RE and ordered the water filter option. In our bag was a wrench to remove the canister that contains the filter. Our system is located in the basement behind a small compartment door facing towards the rear of the coach. There was already a filter installed when we picked up the coach in
February. Good Luck.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #3

We have a 2013 FL and the filter is also located behind a small door in the basement. The cartridge and wrench were both located in the black Redwood bag.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ayerpair
Not sure about 2012, but in 2013 and 2014 the water filter is an option. It's located behind the utility connections, and you access it through a small hatch in the wall in the basement.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

We have a 2012 RL and they were standard, we recieved the water fitler cartridge; however, not the wrench. The water filter is in the garage on the drivers side - look through the small door and you'll see it.

But to tell you the truth, the water filter is a joke. It may filter out large particulates, but does nothing for hard water or calcium. We are thinking of replacing it with another unit.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #6

I use the filter that came with the rig and also use another one almost like it in the water line which filters a little finer. With two filters in line I also bought Charcoal filters to replace the old ones. They cost a little more but are worth it. Haven't found a way to change the one in the rig without spilling some water. Help.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #7

We have a 2012 RL. Ours is located behind the cubby hole. Follow the water lines running behind the door. You should see the filter or at least where it was. You didn't say if you bought it new. If you didn't, maybe the previous owner took it out. Personally, I use the inline filter and also a water softener. This helps withany type of water no matter where you are and what type of water you encounter.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

We have a 2012 36 RL and it did not come with a filter. I have a regular house filter setup that we had on our Carriage that we transferred to the RW
Old 04-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

It's always been an option, but one that most people special order and most all dealer stock units were shipped with this option.. If yours doesn't have one... that's pretty rare I think.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Site Team

Our 2012 36RL has the water filter behind the small door near in the storage compartment near the utility center. Because it is so difficult to access, I don't use. Instead, I use an inline Culligan RV water filter. The water filters will not do anything for hard water other than to filter out the the larger stones and rocks. I use an RV water softener which does a very nice job softening the water to prevent hard water spots in the shower and sinks.

hoosierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #11

I'm convinced now that my particular unit, bought new, does not include the filter. From what I gather, the factory unit is average at best. I'll look into an aftermarket filter and install accordingly.

Do most of you run water softeners as well? I live in Alberta and our water here is definitely hard. If the cost and install are within my means then ill consider adding to the Redwood.

Thanks to all for the replies.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #12

On the West Coast we are used to soft water, so a water softener for us is a must. I am considering this brand - http://www.flowpur.com/html/rv_water_softener.html

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #13

I suggest a cb3 & rs3. Omni filter. Rv's is sand paper cb3 chemical/biological to .5 micron.
Read the specs you won't be upset.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #14

Hope it wasn't here
Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #15

We have used this one for about a year and have had very good luck with it. 2 containers of Morton table salt and you are good to go.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Portab...-p/88-2130.htm
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #16

I'm curious where the water softeners are being installed? Are they in your RW or do you leave it outside by the water supply?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #17

We left ours out by the slide. This past winter we had it under the slide and had heat tape on it, as well as being enclosed by our skirting.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandam
I'm convinced now that my particular unit, bought new, does not include the filter. From what I gather, the factory unit is average at best. I'll look into an aftermarket filter and install accordingly.

Do most of you run water softeners as well? I live in Alberta and our water here is definitely hard. If the cost and install are within my means then ill consider adding to the Redwood.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I use the "On The Go" softner sold by CampingWorld(Catalog Item # 56461 ). So far, it has work very well. I connect a Culligan inline water filter ahead of the softner and connect the softner to city water in at the utility bay. Depending on how much water you use, you will have soft water for 3 to 4 weeks (we don't have a clothes washer in our RW). You can then recharge it with 1 to 2 lbs of table salt.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #19

My 31SL was ordered with the filter but when I took delivery there was a cartridge in the Redwood bag but no explanation of the filtering system during our pick up. I contacted the dealer and they told me where it was located. After opening the very small door in the basement and realizing the filter is almost impossible to reach, I now know why the cartridge was not installed. I soon discovered that the filter was barely stabilized as it was only connected to the framing with 1 screw. I decided to remove the wall, reinforce the filter and then cut a much larger hole and replace the existing door with a door twice the size. Wow, what a difference, now I can actually replace the cartridge!!
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick and Mindy
My 31SL was ordered with the filter but when I took delivery there was a cartridge in the Redwood bag but no explanation of the filtering system during our pick up. I contacted the dealer and they told me where it was located. After opening the very small door in the basement and realizing the filter is almost impossible to reach, I now know why the cartridge was not installed. I soon discovered that the filter was barely stabilized as it was only connected to the framing with 1 screw. I decided to remove the wall, reinforce the filter and then cut a much larger hole and replace the existing door with a door twice the size. Wow, what a difference, now I can actually replace the cartridge!!

Did you make the new door large enough to get a bucket in through there to place under the filter housing? What I don't like about that location is that you do get some water spilling out when you try to change the filter cartridge.