Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Traveling

Water Dripping From Red LED Switch

Houston we have a problem. It has has been dry here for a few days so I was able to check for sure... We definitely have WATER dripping out of the switch under the nose cone for the LED light switch And let me just say:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{DANG IT}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Anybody else ever had this?
The heatpumps are causing there to be water on the roof, and I haven't even TOLD Todd about it yet for him to go check, but I guess that means it COULD be coming from the roof.... OR from somewhere internally, but that seems unlikely because to my knowledge there is no water line of any kind in that area.

Thoughts? I am thinking right now: Condensation from the cold forming on the inside of the nose cone, running down and exiting at the low point. I have TWO wet spots: one under the king pin and one under the switch.

Maybe it's nothing.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #2

We had the same leak and the dealer recaulked the roof seam where the rubber meets the fiberglass.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Traveling

Thanks Spin; I was thinking it might be that too. Well, we have a service appt coming up. Will add that to the list.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #4

The only seams for the nose cap are on the roof where the Alpha roof meets the cap, the joint is sealed with the Alpha sealant. The only other seams are where the walls meet the cap. The most likely suspect would be the roof, check for signs of a gap in the sealant.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #5
Traveling

Thanks Chuck. Will do... just as soon as it stops snowing :-)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #6

Cold is finally getting to No Georgia, temps will drop below freezing tonight...time to go to Florida!!!!!
Old 11-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
Houston we have a problem. It has has been dry here for a few days so I was able to check for sure... We definitely have WATER dripping out of the switch under the nose cone for the LED light switch And let me just say:
{{{{{{{{{{{{{DANG IT}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Anybody else ever had this?
The heatpumps are causing there to be water on the roof, and I haven't even TOLD Todd about it yet for him to go check, but I guess that means it COULD be coming from the roof.... OR from somewhere internally, but that seems unlikely because to my knowledge there is no water line of any kind in that area.

Thoughts? I am thinking right now: Condensation from the cold forming on the inside of the nose cone, running down and exiting at the low point. I have TWO wet spots: one under the king pin and one under the switch.

Maybe it's nothing.
After you opened this thread, I started keeping an eye on my switches under there. Water drips from mine also. It has been as dry as powder here for several days. I'm thinking it's sweat, with the cooling temps here. I hadn't noticed it in warm weather, and I have been going over this unit a lot since it arrived. Our cold just started in the last few days. It stays pretty cool in that nose closet.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #8

We noticed water coming from the edging that wraps around the nose. Service guy drilled two holes for drainage. He thinks it's from a tiny spot up the wall near the roofline. Found out from dealer that RW only covers this( sealant of joints) for 90 days from purchase.
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Traveling

I am really starting to think it's condensation in the nose cone... Dried it out. Been no rain, it's wet again. Its cold outside. Interesting.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
I am really starting to think it's condensation in the nose cone... Dried it out. Been no rain, it's wet again. Its cold outside. Interesting.
I'm pretty sure it's condensation, also. It only does it when it's colder out, and the heat is on in here. 45 degrees out right now, and powder dry. I have only noticed it on mine after it gets dark, and temps fall.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:54 AM   #11

How much water do you think came out of the nose area? I am having that same issue but there is A LOT of water. And I looked in my hidden safe area and there was water in the safe and frozen water under the safe when I pulled it out of the floor.

Trying to decipher where this was is coming from.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

I first thought my dripping coming from the switch was condensation, but after going up to the roof, I found some voids in the caulking. I fixed those and haven't noticed any more dripping.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
Y all outta come to California and wouldn't have this problem
On a serious note I have a 2015 36RL and have not had a problem yet. Our temps at night have been in the mid 30s. It looks to me that some of the previous models need to have a vapor barrier installed on the closet side and some way to ventilate the air gap between the closet and nose cone. This would eliminate the condensation. Also using the vents after cooking and showering to remove moisture from the coach. I have rvd in -30 below weather and inside moisture is the biggest cause of these problems
Shane Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #14

I am in N.E. MT. 30% humidity is high I have the same problem. we leave the closet door open to keep it warm. Took the screws out on my switch for drainage. I think it is temperature caused condensation. I wonder if a small fan built into the closet high on the wall and a vent hole low on the wall would help the problem.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Shane Wood Send a message via MSN to Shane Wood Send a message via Yahoo to Shane Wood
I think that this would only circulate the warm air against the cold cap and still cause the condensation.
Have you tried leaving the closet doors closed as another barrier to see if that makes a difference.
It may mean cold shorts in the morning.
If this slows the amount of moisture you are accumulating it would be a good case to get with redwood on having a better design with a vapor barrier on the front end. I really think there needs to be that barrier between the closet and the fiberglass insulation.
Our homes have it in the walls with no venting and they do not get wet
Shane Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #16

The reason we started leaving the doors open was we were getting frost on the foux cedar closet walls. I'm thinking there is some kind of cold air return that runs under the drawers. it is a black plastic tube and is by the cold air return that comes from the pass thru storage. and runs thru the closet and I believe into the cap.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 AM   #17

I'm going to throw this out here just in case there is something here!
We are on the BC coast and have a lot of moisture in the air. We have the bedroom window open year round 24/7. We also have all 3 of our roof vents open with the fans running 24/7. (We are more nervous about moisture than a high heat bill)We have our closet door open. Our front cap is bone dry. Is there anyone else that runs their vent fans all the time and is your front cap dry?
Don and Judith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
TnB

My wife and I were commenting on how many people have dishwashers in their RV and love them. They use them everyday.

I was wondering if a common item among the owners experiencing condensation on the front cap, is a dishwasher. In our permanent home, I see steam coming out of the dishwasher during the drying cycle. Is this the same in the RV units? If so this could be the source of your excess humidity. In a 3,500 sq ft house this is minor, but in a 500 sq ft RV it could be significant.

Since not all RW's are experiencing the problem, I am just curious about a common denominator.
2015 RW 36FB w/GY 114 "H" tires, disc brakes, TrailAir Tri-Glide, Furrion wireless backup camera
TnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

No DW here. I can't see that it's anything other than condensation and/or leaking seam.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #20

I pulled my "safe" yesterday to see if it was wet under it. It was perfectly dry after some heavy rain. BUT, there was no insulation in that section of the front from side to side. I guess that's part of the reason the closet gets so cold when the temp is in the 30's.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote