Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #1

Just given our coach the first wash. Finally got the front cap cleaned and all the bugs removed, but used gallons of water and tons of elbow grease.

Anybody have any suggestions for products that make removing the bugs easier, but doesn't damage the paint and finish.

Andy & Judi, Canine Companions Duke & Kona
2012 F350 Lariat CC SRW Airlift 5000 |2013 RW 36FL Winegard Trav'ler
Travel Blog: www.andyandjudi.com
Oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriana
Just given our coach the first wash. Finally got the front cap cleaned and all the bugs removed, but used gallons of water and tons of elbow grease.

Anybody have any suggestions for products that make removing the bugs easier, but doesn't damage the paint and finish.
Keep the front cap waxed and wash off the bugs each night with a long handle brush and the hose from the service bay. I carry a folding "Little Giant" ladder so I can wax the front end pretty often. I've thought about getting a wind deflector for the top of my truck just to help eliminate the bugs on the front cap.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Team

I use dryer sheets and a little water. They will loosen the bugs to be rinsed away with the hose. Works very well, Don't know why but it does work. May take two or three sheets depending on the quantity of bugs.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Agree with the washing/waxing and the dryer sheets; however, if you spray it with Pledge the bugs don't tend to stick.
Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Any adverse affects from spraying Pledge on black paint and then hot sun beating down? I use an old towel & stuff called Bug Off - melts bugs away but lots of elbow grease to get them off. Think the dryer sheets will scratch black paint?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

I also, have used a course towel with bug and tar remover. Like 5th_time says you still gotta put some elbow grease into it.<div id="LCS_C4CFC0DE_134F_4466_B2A2_FF7C59A8BFAD_commu nicati&#111;nDiv"><div name="popUpDiv" id="popUpDiv" ismouseover="false" ="popUpDivOff" =":.Name='popUpDivOff';" =":.Name='popUpDiv&#079;n';" style="display: n&#111;ne;">
<div name="searchDiv" id="searchDiv" style="display:n&#111;ne">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/searchBox.png[/img]

<div name="popupMenu" id="popupMenu" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenu">
<div id="div1">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/fb.png[/img]

<div id="div2">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/twitter.png[/img]

<div id="div3">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/gmail.png[/img]

<div id="div4">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/PBQuickShare.png[/img]

<div name="popupMenuVideo" id="popupMenuVideo" style="display:n&#111;ne" ="popupMenuVideo">
<div id="div1">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/fb.png[/img]

<div id="div2">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/twitter.png[/img]

<div id="div3">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/gmail.png[/img]

<div id="div4">
[img]chrome-extensi&#111;n://amfclgbdpgndipgoegfpkkgobahigbcl/images/PBQuickShare.png[/img]

I have recently purchased a sponge that has a terry cloth material on the outside of it. The terry cloth material has 1/8" holes in the material. It is called a "bug remover". Works really well.

I soak it in my wash bucket and wash the bugs off. Yes, again with a little elbow grease.

Like Dave said earlier he waxes his nose all the time. I just waxed mine this past weekend. While I'm on the subject of waxing. I use a good carnuba wax every six months. In between, I use a spray on wax and (while the wax is still wet) I wipe it off. It's a quick and easy way to keep the nose and the rest of the coach waxed constantly. It also, makes getting the darn bugs off a lot easier............less elbow grease involved.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #7

While we couldn't afford the full paint version, the Pledge really works. Hope you like scrubbing the bugs off and all that elbow grease. Too much work for me.

Adamsvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #8

Rejexs works great but you have to get two coats on they use it on the turbine aircraft wings for the black shoot and bugs
Beechguyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #9

We have love bugs big time now, the secret with them is to soak them first then they will wash off. I'm in a State Park where you can' t wash, enjoying ourself now, get bugs off next week at home. We bought the camper to enjoy life in, not to add more stress and worry.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Got a product call bug off used by truckers, spray it on wait a few min and brush em off. Works great
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers
Got a product call bug off used by truckers, spray it on wait a few min and brush em off. Works great
I'll have to look for this product
Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
I use dryer sheets and a little water. They will loosen the bugs to be rinsed away with the hose. Works very well, Don't know why but it does work. May take two or three sheets depending on the quantity of bugs.

X2.
2013 36 RL
subdoc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #13

Hi all. I went to the storage today and here is the web site www.epabest.com Great stuff. Found that I had a flat tire on the rear out side, pumped it up and found the valve core was loose. tightened all of em, maybe this should be a walk around check item. Oh well, have fun with the bugs
Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #14

I just washed my front cap and the underbelly by the generator and battery door. When it dry's I will wax it with Mequiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus paste wax, It is easy to put on and take off and leaves the red and black dark and rich.. I will do one side and then the back one day at a time. Trying to do it quarterly. Looks great when I finished each time.