Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #1

Washer install

I have a 2013 redwood with the washer dryer area in the slide next to the bed. I wondering about installing a drain pan for the washer the kind that has a drain. Anyone done that. Can I drill a hole in the bottom of the slide without causing issues?
Anipp1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #2

I would be more worried about the flex drain hose that run under the drawer that's in the side of the bed. That hose has been a known issue.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM   #3

I would think you can, just don't let it stick down more than about 1/4" beyond the bottom of the slide and it should clear all the seals fine. you would have o measure to make sure you don't put it in the path of the rollers.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14548556222672023473130.jpg (254.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

Pulled bed up don't see issues but not sure what to look for
Old 02-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #6

Make sure the connections on the 1 1/2" flex hose are tight, have someone run the slide out room in and out while you watch, and check for things it might snag or get caught on. Sometimes things need to be moved a little to make sure they are not in the way. If the flex drain line gets caught and pulled out you will have a huge mess when running the washer drain. You might observe the fittings for drips or leaks while someone else uses a funnel and pours a few gallons of water into the washer drain. A lot easier to snug things and fix now before you get possible water damage later. And if you are in a climate that winterizes, be sure to add antifreeze back into the washer p-trap after running some water through it. Don't want to have it freeze, crack and split and leak water.

Some other people have had their water lines under the bed get kinked when the slide out goes in and out. Watch for that also. Some have added a 90 degree elbow so the water lines won't kink, either slowing or stopping the water supply to the washer. Watch for screws, wood corners, etc that might cause water lines to snag or kink or rub on something and wear through.

Chris
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anipp1207 View Post
I have a 2013 redwood with the washer dryer area in the slide next to the bed. I wondering about installing a drain pan for the washer the kind that has a drain. Anyone done that. Can I drill a hole in the bottom of the slide without causing issues?
I have a drain pan in my 2013 36 RL in the hallway closet. There was not a problem with the drain line through the floor. The Redwood dealer installed the side by side washer and dryer. Has been trouble free.
2016 Silverado 3500 HD, High Country DRW diesel, 3.73 gear ratio, long bed, 25K Reese Elite removable hitch with 2013 Redwood 36RL with 17.5" H-rated tires and MOR/ryde heavy duty shackle links and bushings; 6.5 KW gen
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #8

I have this issue late last night, ran washer, washer drained water ,poured out between floor above storage overhead when washer drained late last nite big soapy mess. Look under bed for bad drain line connection?
2012 36 Re

Flex drain line under bed?

Please advise

proteus 290
proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #9

Oh man so sorry to hear about that.
I did want to update. I added a tee between the flex line and the hard line going down to the tank. Put a 3in tall drain pan under our combo unit that has a hose going to the tee. Also drilled the hole and put the dryer vent in.
Finally all done!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Proteus - sounds like the drain line came apart. Common problem on RL and RE. Time to pull the bed apart ........
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

All of those floor plans with WD in the slide should come with a huge warning label on the wash machine "The idiots that assembled this drain can't get right, check before using!". Unfortunately it's been a problem since the first batch rolled off the line!!!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anipp1207 View Post

Pulled bed up don't see issues but not sure what to look for
Just make sure the connections are tight, and there is no issue when the slide comes in, causing the hose to kink loose. Per reading this forum, I headed off that issue when my RL was brand new. FTR, upon delivery the hose was a little loose under the bed, and I just adjusted and tightened it.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #13
Site Team

As Jerry said, check the drain hose and especially the flex connections to make sure they are tight. You also want to look at the water plumbing and make sure there aren't any kinks in it. Bring the slide in with the bedframe opened up and make sure there aren't any interfering things.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #14

I checked ours when we first got the Trailer after reading of the problem on the forum. I had to clean up the hoses and make sure they coiled correctly when the slide went in and out. I adjusted the flex drain as well. I have made it a habit to check the lines after putting the slide in and out each time. Don't want the carpet all wet from a busted drain or water line. I wish the RW had a water Manifold so we could turn off certain areas of the Trailer if needed like some of the others I have seen. I have even thought of making one and putting it in myself.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 PM   #15

Had water on our floor the first time we used it. Tore the bed out, only to find out I left the drain closed. silly me, but I did go in and rework all their connections. I actually found a bad glue job on the hard ABS pipe for the drain which was dripping into carpet, so I cut it all out and rebuilt it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWJSIM2003 View Post
I checked ours when we first got the Trailer after reading of the problem on the forum. I had to clean up the hoses and make sure they coiled correctly when the slide went in and out. I adjusted the flex drain as well. I have made it a habit to check the lines after putting the slide in and out each time. Don't want the carpet all wet from a busted drain or water line. I wish the RW had a water Manifold so we could turn off certain areas of the Trailer if needed like some of the others I have seen. I have even thought of making one and putting it in myself.
I have a manifold in my house with pex water lines. It is very handy for isolating a problem, not that I've had any yet. It would be relatively inexpensive for RW to install one at build.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
I have a manifold in my house with pex water lines. It is very handy for isolating a problem, not that I've had any yet. It would be relatively inexpensive for RW to install one at build.
I agree Jerry! I have a water and gas manifold in my house. It does add costs but well worth it in my opinion.

Years ago when Land Mark was a stand alone company, I saw one of their units at a RV show and they had a manifold which I really liked. After they were bought by Thor I guess they eliminated them.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #18

I have a friend with a Mobile Suites and he has a Copper Manifold that the Pex lines connect to. I also saw that the new Forest River, River Stone has a similar manifold. Would have been nice in our RW.