Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
par

Just a question regarding the washer/dryer mounting space in the 36 RL/RE. I was watching a YouTube video and the chap mentioned that a residential style washer/dryer could fit in ther allocated space. Can someone clear that up, did he really mean apartment size pair or can you actual fita full-size pair?
Thanks!
Paul
Ontario, Canada
par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #2

Don't know for sure, but I would bet it's a play on words. That slide is a 24 inch slide and if I'm not mistaken a standard full size washer or dryer is approx 30 inches deep so I don't see how they would fit and be able to close the folding doors. Maybe what they are referring to is what you said "An Apartment size Washer and Dryer" Presently have the Combo Washer/Dryer and it's working fine for us, so we opt'd to have a Combo Unit installed in our RL, we hope to squeeze in a small freezer where the dryer would go.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

The other thing to keep in mind is that apartment or full size will most likely require 220 and rvs are not set for that.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

You're correct about the typical full size Dryer or you could get a Propane version, but I think most apartment size units are just 110/120 as not a lot of apartments are wired for 220/240. My Daughter had a stacked washer & dryer in her first apartment and they were both 110/120 units.
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

OK, here is the info on the Washer & Dryer.
There is no extra space in the Washer/Dryer closet. The fit of the Spendide pair is already tight.Both the Washer and Dryer are 23.75" A standard homewasher & dryer are both 27." Plus, the Spendide Dryer is 120v. Standard home dryers are 220v.
Lastly, Redwood will not preinstall the dryer vent unless they install Washer/Dryer on the line. So if you have full body paint, you'll be screwed. My dryer vent is in the middle of a color change on the side.

Like many here, my original plan was to add the Spendide models sometime after delivery because they're cheaper on-line. But remember that the discount that you negotiated with your dealer on your unit also applies to the options. After I considered purchasing, shipping, installation into that tight closet, drilling a 3" hole for the dryer vent through my slideout into the middle of my custom paint job and then having it stand out (ortry to match the paint myself), I ordered the option.

It's the same scenario as trying to beat the system on the generator option -the cure is actually worse than the disease.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #6

[QUOTE=5th_Time] OK, here is the info on the Washer & Dryer.

There is no extra space in the Washer/Dryer closet. The fit of the Spendide pair is already tight.Both the Washer and Dryer are 23.75" A standard homewasher & dryer are both 27." Plus, the Spendide Dryer is 120v. Standard home dryers are 220v.

Lastly, Redwood will not preinstall the dryer vent unless they install Washer/Dryer on the line. So if you have full body paint, you'll be screwed. My dryer vent is in the middle of a color change on the side.

Like many here, my original plan was to add the Spendide models sometime after delivery because they're cheaper on-line. But remember that the discount that you negotiated with your dealer on your unit also applies to the options. After I considered purchasing, shipping, installation into that tight closet, drilling a 3" hole for the dryer vent through my slideout into the middle of my custom paint job and then having it stand out (ortry to match the paint myself), I ordered the option.

It's the same scenario as trying to beat the system on the generator option -the cure is actually worse than the disease.

That is why I went with the factoryinstall on the w/d and gen.

Lillyputz
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #7

I did the same thing with the washer/dryer and many other options, but as the factory incentives disappear I image that margine will lessen to a point where you will have to think it over pretty hard.

"75 FEET OF FUN ON THE RUN"
KR2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Site Team

Yea....and I got a little screwed on this one. I called 2 weeks before my trailer went on the line and ordered the washer and dryer. They said I waited too long so the dealer is going to install the units which means the vent cover will be chrome instead of painted. If it looks bad I'll have my son paint it.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

Yea....and I got a little screwed on this one.Â* I called 2 weeks before my trailer went on the line and ordered the washer and dryer.Â* They said I waited too long so the dealer is going to install the units which means the vent cover will be chrome instead of painted.Â* If it looks bad I'll have my son paint it.
I wonder what happened Dave I ordered my w/d and d/w plus the Gen prep the week before mine was to be built and when I was at the factory they were installed. I would make sure you get the same price as if they were done at the factory.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
par

Newbie mistake, please ignore this reply.
PaulEdited by: par
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Ginny

Yea....and I got a little screwed on this one. I called 2 weeks before my trailer went on the line and ordered the washer and dryer. They said I waited too long so the dealer is going to install the units which means the vent cover will be chrome instead of painted. If it looks bad I'll have my son paint it.
I wonder what happened Dave I ordered my w/d and d/w plus the Gen prep the week before mine was to be built and when I was at the factory they were installed. I would make sure you get the same price as if they were done at the factory.

I think my dealer screwed me on this one. They said that they had lost comunication with Andy...I think they just screwed up
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
par

Several good points were brought up, the 120/220 issue is a good.
In summary, the residential washer/dryer will not fit and if I am considering a pair it should be done at the time of order in order to keep the exhaust exit clean looking from the outside.

This leads me to a another question, sowewhat unrelated to washer/dryers.
Is the 50 amp connection strictly 120, in other words are there no devices on board that run on 220?

Thank you for your feedback,
Paul
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

There is no 220 appliances on board the 50 amp service is 220 but the 2 hot lines coming in are tied together in the breaker box. This is why you can also use 30 amp or even 15 amp power with adapters.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
par

Got it!

Couldn't help but notice you are waiting on an FL, this unit grabbed my attention but I can't get to see one in my area. Can you summarize your reasons for going with this unit? What were you comparing against?
Paul
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by par

Got it!
Â*
Couldn't help but notice you are waiting on an FL, this unit grabbed my attention but I can't get to see one in my area. Can you summarize your reasons for going with this unit? What were you comparing against?
Paul
Â*
We like how it has a residential feel in that every room is separated in some way as well as the rooms just seem larger than the rest in most models. Although you do loose some outside storage in order to have the larger living space. We looked at all of the FL models out there ( and there is a lot of them) and the redwood was the best designed and laid out in the living room area.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

What is the best model of washer dryer to use in an RV?
How does it compare in load size wash time etc to a residential unit?

Thank you all in advance.
benstefa1@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #17

The most common are made by splendede.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR2011
The most common are made by splendede.

According to Andy..spendede is the only brand that will fit in the redwood
Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #19

there is also whirlpool, pinical and some other brands that are the same size as the splendide.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #20

Also, if shopping, be careful of the depth. There is just barely enough room for the hoses in the rear with the factory Splendide pair. As soon as I get a chance, I'll measure the closet dimensions for everyone.
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote