Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

I would like to have some feed back on putting in a Washer & Dryer in our Blackwood!

Pro's & cons
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

I have the splendid front load washer and front load dryer in my Redwood. If you are one who long times or full times, I would highly recommend having them installed. I do small loads a few times each week and that keeps my laundry current and does not make it a chore on the weekend. I am a full timer and stay in parks where all utilities are included which helps keep my costs down while on the road. It is personal choice, and I am sure glad I made the decision to have the units installed.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

So it is wroth having a hole put in yor coach for the vent
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

We opt'd for the Combo Washer/Dryer (Vented, requires the hole in the side of the rig). Had one installed in our previous Montana and used it all the time. We typically do a small (that's all you can do) load every other day. With the combo you can't do a second load while the first is drying, but on the flip side when ours is done, it's done, just remove and put away. Works for us and wouldn't be without it. We're long timers, approx 9 months of the year.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

We have the washer and dryer in our 36RE but have yet to use it as we just got this unit 4 weeks ago. We have been talking about it, and when we camp during the summers and not full timing we will remove the dryer for the extra storage (Dog food fishing stuff etc. I would think when we full-time (spend our winters in the south) we will put the dryer back in. The dryer is the lightest and easy to take out as it is outside of the bedroom at the top of the stairs.

Hoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

Thank you I thought I would like it,We will be full time in January
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #7

We actually use the dryer function of our Combo unit more during the Summer up here in the North than we did all winter in Florida. Generally all the trips we do during the summer (camping with our Good Sam Chapter, Samborees, etc)the Electric is part of the site fee, the resort we stay at for the Winter we pay the electric so we try and limit electric use as much as we can. Have a clothes line that mounts off the back of the rig where we dry most of our stuff during the winter. Just something to consider as a majority of long term sites require you to pay for the electric you use.
Edited by: mhs4771
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

We have been full timing for over ten years, and the Redwood is the third 5th wheel since we hit the road. We have not had a washer or dryer in any of them. We have discussed it, but the wife said she would prefer to spend about 2 hrs. once a week doing the laundry instead of messing with it every other day or so. We have used the space to put in a small freezer which we believe we get better use of. Most of your campgrounds have laundry facilities, and the few that we have stayed at that don't usually have a laundrymat close by. Everybody has their own preferences, and ours is not to have a washer & dryer.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Site Team

The washer and dryer does take up a lot of space but it's also a convenience. In the old days, you could find a laundromat pretty easily and in all parts of town but now you usually find them in the low rent district. Many of the RV parks have them but usually there aren't enough machines to go around and "out of order" signs are common. The RV units require some time, due to their size and capabilities. I'll put a load in and then go for a walk or start my day. An hour later I'll rotate the laundry and go do something else. If I you think you'll have the performance of the home appliances you'll be disappointed.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #10

We were full time without a washer/dryer for the first three months and have the Spledide stackables now... The DW and I both are glad we opted for them. Like Dave said.. finding laundry services isn't always an easy task and the cg laundry facility is a crap shoot.
If you don't mind those inconveniences the space they use up make for a lot of extra storage.
TravelinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #11

Ww have the Spendide stackables also in our 34SK model & love the convenience. We wouldn't want to be without them now!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #12

We have the side by side units in our 38BR. Washing takes an hour and we do that as soon as we get up. Drying is the fun part... depending on what you are drying... they can take several hours because you only have 110 and the washer does not spin all the water out. We go for our walk or take a short trip and things are dry by lunch.
Dishwasher only takes an hour too... glad we got both! Hated spending a morning in the CG laundramat using the machines last summer.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #13

We have the factory Splendides too, but I have never heard the dryer auto shut off - even on timer. We finally check manually and clothes are bone dry. Anyone have this issue?
Mike & Pam '12 36RL, Kodiak Discs, 17.5" G114s H-Rated, SRE4000 w/HD Shackles, Joy Rider Shocks, Flex Air, 5.5 Onan, W&D, DW, 4 Scare Lights, (2) 6V Trojan T-145s; Progressive EMS-HW50C, Winegard DTV Sat, Sony/Denon 4K Home Theater, WiFiRanger EliteAC Pack, weBoost 4G-X Cell Booster.

2022 RAM 3500 Limited CC, LB, 4x4, DRW, Max Tow, Cummins HO, AISIN, 4.10, Mopar 30K w/OEM Prep, Transfer Flow 70gal Aux Tank/Toolbox.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote