Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Site Team

Warranty Changes

I have found out that in the past the Redwoods had a 2 year warranty however the second year was provided by the suppliers.

Now the Redwoods come with a 2 year Pin to bumper warranty that is ALL covered by Redwood. This takes out some of the fighting with problems from the suppliers.

They stopped advertising the 5 year structure but they'll still stand behind their product.

I hope this helps
Old 11-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #2

Redwood site still shows 2+5 year warranty.http://www.redwood-rv.com/features/clima-comfort
Old 11-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #3
Traveling

The warranty was one of the reasons we bought the Redwood. I like not having to work all the bugs out in only one year. Especially for those that use it seasonally and are not full time, one year would go by in a FLASH and you would be stuck with repairing warranty-type items. I hope Redwood doesn't decide to change this... it's a big selling point, especially with those of us who have owned RV's before and KNOW we will need it. ;-)
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #4

I would agree, the 2 + 5 Warranty was a big selling point for us too.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #5

It sold us as well.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #6

Spoke with Jim Lazzarino yesterday, the warranty for new coaches is 2-year pin to bumper.

The Redwoods sold with the 2+5 are still honored, the annual is no longer required but still advised.

As Dave says, Redwood is a strong company who will stand behind their product, they will work with owners on issues requiring warranty work.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #7

Chuck,
Are you saying us with the 2+5 won't need to do the annual anymore as a condition of warranty?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #8

Wow, that is big! The 2+5 was a big sales point for me. I wonder if they are having issues with the 5 part or perhaps they can't provide it on the lower end lines and still provided on Redwood and claim they are the structure.

Don't suppose you asked Jim why?
Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nTheRoad View Post
Spoke with Jim Lazzarino yesterday, the warranty for new coaches is 2-year pin to bumper.

The Redwoods sold with the 2+5 are still honored, the annual is no longer required but still advised.

As Dave says, Redwood is a strong company who will stand behind their product, they will work with owners on issues requiring warranty work.
I agree, this is big news! I, too, was swayed to purchase a Redwood with the 2+5 warranty. I would expect them to honor that since that was part of our purchase but one of the major headaches we have had is where can you find a reputable dealer to do the inspection? My 2 year would be coming up in Feb 2015 and I was thinking I would have to go to Memphis for the inspection which is about 30o miles away. Either that or I would have to go to a dealer that does terrible work. How will we know for sure that Redwood will no longer require the annual inspection? I think we will all need something in writing or take the chance of losing our warranty.
Rick and Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #10

What I understood him to say is that the new 2015 Redwoods have a 2 year head to toe warranty. No annual is required on these new rigs.

I asked about the 2014 and older Redwoods and what I understood him to say was that they they no longer required the annual but very strongly suggested that it be inspected and serviced.

Also asked about the Service Center not doing inspections/repairs and he said that is not the case, but suggested that work be done by dealers.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
Chuck,
Are you saying us with the 2+5 won't need to do the annual anymore as a condition of warranty?
Rw should send all owners a letter of understanding so people don't mistakenly lose there warranty!

Jim & Susie, 2014 36FL, 2012 F-250 6.2 trailer saver TS3
superduty glampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Redwood makes a good trailer but........their marketing and connections with the current owner....has something to be desired.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Traveling

Yes, the 5 year is going away. Obviously doesn't affect any of us who already have it. Met with Reg. Manager Jeff Muffoletto last night at the Portland RV show and we talked about this. He said if it has the "2+5" sticker on it, then it's still covered on the 5 year. Saw the new cable-system on the bedroom slides too. Finally got to see first hand the new color (Putty) and the new features. Very nice! They have made some very big improvements in quality and durability that signal a company intending to be around. Clearly, they are listening.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTBaker View Post
They have made some very big improvements in quality and durability...
Would really appreciate hearing specific examples.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #15
Traveling

Well, one of the first improvements was a huge turnover of factory personnel. He said that QC wasn't a big focus until this happened. Now it is. (We all could attest to that, right?)
The Schwintek's are gone. Too problematic, and now they use the cable system. They are also pushing hard with dealerships level of education about the coach, and are working on making delivery better for the buyers so that they are more knowledgeable.

I commented that "we all talk alot on a national level about issues." and he laughed and said they KNOW. ;-) He said they are well aware that their best sales are from OWNERS and they have a high priority on maintaining the relationship after the sale.

There was probably more that I am forgetting. Over all, I was impressed with what he said. I liked him, he was smart and he cared and took a lot of time with us. If what he says is true, then RW will be the better for it. I personally am very interested in the brand continuing to improve.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #16

That's certainly a good start.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #17

One of the major goals of the newly being formed Redwood Owners Group [ROG] will be company/owner relations, the organizing committee keeps this goal in mind in all we are doing to put this together. Jim Lazzarino has been wonderful to work with and we keep them informed and involved with our progress.

Redwood & Crossroads know the value of their customer base and they want our input, that to me is very refreshing.

The news of a cable system for the BR slides is a little troubling for me unless they have developed something different from what I know of these systems. The Schwintek system is not ideal but it is better than what I had seen in other cable slide systems, I hope this is not a step backwards!!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #18

Agree - the cable systems in the past have always been a 'red flag' to many potential buyers...

I've had two rv's with the scwintek and after the correction on the first one where the mfg didn't cut the opening 3/8" more, they've both worked flawlessly.

Must be all about money and not about functionality...
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
Site Team

Was just parked beside a Tiffin Phaeton and it had Scwintek on a smaller slide. Must not be all bad.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:23 PM   #20

Our Redwood 38FL is our second 5th Wheel with the Schwintek Slides.
Our previous 5th Wheel had the Schwintek Slide system on the bedroom slide (only the king bed in the slide) and it always worked great.
It also had the Schwintek Slide system on a large rear slide that had the Kitchen (Refrigerator, Stove, Microwave) and Entertainment Center (TV, Fireplace) in the slide.
The large Schwintek slide gave us some problems and always seemed to struggle.

When shopping for a new 5th Wheel, I did not have a problem with the Schwintek Slide when applies properly (Not a big fan of the cable system as I have seen many problems with them).
The main thing I looked for when seeing a 5th Wheel with the Schwintek slide system was to be sure they were only used on a smaller, light weight slide.
Our Redwood 38FL fits that concept exactly, the two bedroom and kitchen slides are hydraulic and the two front living room slides with only a sofa in each slide have the Schwintek slide system on them.
So far all 5 slides have worked great.

One of the problems that got both the Cable System and the Schwintek System a black eye, was the manufacturers not installing the systems correctly.
Once manufacturers learned how to do correct installations of the systems, a lot of the problems went away.

I agree, going to the cable slide system IMHO is a step backwards and if our Redwood had the Cable Slide system, I would have had second thoughts about purchasing.
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote