Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #1

Want to trust them, but...

I have had my truck serviced several times at the dealership (oil changes) which include tire pressure checks, and recently had it in for a wheel alignment because my front tires were looking like they were wearing on the outside. Also had my RW serviced several times (wheel bearings repacked) and had always asked them to check tire pressures. I recently purchased a TPMS (TST 507) and when I checked my tires:
All my truck tires were at 40 pounds . Front should be 70, and rear 65. OK, I don't claim to be a mechanic, but when the front tires are not wearing right wouldn't you check the tire pressure along with doing an alignment?
My RW tires were at 80, and should have been at 110.
So, when you pay for a service you want to trust that they will do what they said they would do, but here is an example of them not. Fortunately nothing happened during my last trip.
So, note to self....don't assume they are checking tire pressures when you ask them to. I will from now on, regardless if any of my vehicles has been recently serviced, will always check my own tire pressures. That will be a little easier now that I have a TPMS.
Thought I should post this in the event there are other trusting souls out there.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
danrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #2

After the alignment did you rotate the tires? If not I'd highly recommend doing so. The fronts on your truck will wear a bit on the edges due to turning so I have mine rotated to the rear every 6-8k miles, so far so good.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 PM   #3

Very simple, they didn't bother to check the Door Jam or the Sticker on the Front corner of the RW for correct pressuers.
They just set the TV tire pressures to the normal pressure for the typical Grocery getter, the RW pressure to the normal 80 psi for "E" rated tires that come on a majority of Weekender 5th Wheels.
I would make sure both the Service Manager and the Owner were made aware of these issues and that your business was going else where.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #4

Tires should always be aired to the specific load on the tire. If you don't know your weights, you can't air the tire properly. Weighing your rig is one of the most important things you can do; not only from a safety perspective but for extending system life as well.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
After the alignment did you rotate the tires? If not I'd highly recommend doing so. The fronts on your truck will wear a bit on the edges due to turning so I have mine rotated to the rear every 6-8k miles, so far so good.
Thanks Travelin Texans,
But I have a dually, and rotating tires is not something easily done. Any ways, now that the tires are inflated to were they should be, I believe I will be getting better wear.
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Very simple, they didn't bother to check the Door Jam or the Sticker on the Front corner of the RW for correct pressuers.
They just set the TV tire pressures to the normal pressure for the typical Grocery getter, the RW pressure to the normal 80 psi for "E" rated tires that come on a majority of Weekender 5th Wheels.
I would make sure both the Service Manager and the Owner were made aware of these issues and that your business was going else where.
I did email both service centers. I got a quick reply back from the RV service center, but yet to hear back from the truck service center
2015 Polaris RZR 900
Old 08-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Last month we picked up a nail in our RW tire on the way to Colorado, and stopped in at Discount Tire in Roswell to have it fixed. The guys there were very courteous and efficient and had us on the road again in one hour, and they didn't charge us a cent for the repair job. However, they were only able to fill the tire to 90 pounds because that was as high as their compressor would go. Our H-rated tires are supposed to be filled to 125, so I tried to "top off" the tire with my Ryobi battery-powered compressor. Unfortunately the compressor blew apart at 95 pounds, and the tire leaked back to 85 psi before I got it disconnected. We drove the rest of the trip with the tire under-inflated.

My point is that dealers/shops may not have the ability to fill tires beyond 80-90 pounds, but they darned sure should let you know that, the way the Discount guys did with us.

FYI, to prevent that from happening again I've started carrying one of my scuba cylinders in the basement. It holds 117 cubic feet of air jammed to 3200 psi. The first stage regulator cuts the pressure down to about 140 psi, just right for those H-rated Goodyears.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Thanks Travelin Texans,
But I have a dually, and rotating tires is not something easily done. Any ways, now that the tires are inflated to were they should be, I believe I will be getting better wear.
Correct...rotating duals is a challenge, but it should still be done just like any other vehicle.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 AM   #9

Rotating is a good thought but I gave up years ago on the pickup and also my 4500 work trucks. Can't swap the front to rear rims so would have to dismount and remount the tires. I just know that every 30,000-35,000 I will be putting front tires on the trucks.

I carry this in the RW now and good for 200psi.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dc.jpg (34.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 03:33 AM   #10
Site Team

Same as Steve only I took it one step further. I treat the Dually like a semi. Steer and drive tires. It's important that the drive duallies are matched for wear so I leave them alone and every oil change switch the front tires side to side .. I also run different brands front to rear.

Truck handles and rides fantastic and wear patterns are good.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrn View Post
Thanks Travelin Texans,
I know it's a PITA to have them dismounted/remounted, but I bought them at Discount Tire so rotation/balance is free, my last set (of 6, I also have a dually) I got just shy of 70k miles, rotated about every 8-10k miles, I loss about an hour once a year out of my busy schedule.
I carry a Porter Cable pancake compressor mounted in the front compartment, I don't have/need/want a generator, with a hose reel mounted in the curbside propane compartment which just get Hs to 125 psi.
20160926_130854.jpg
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #12

Just checked my tires this Monday, my son said dad you installed a tire warning system why not let it do its job, I told him son an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char & Steve View Post
Rotating is a good thought but I gave up years ago on the pickup and also my 4500 work trucks. Can't swap the front to rear rims so would have to dismount and remount the tires. I just know that every 30,000-35,000 I will be putting front tires on the trucks.

I carry this in the RW now and good for 200psi.

Steve
Steve,

Is this a

DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor?

It shows:3.0 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump, 2.5 gallon tank and 200 max PSI

Not sure what the SCFM and pump PSI means but I believe you are implying that it will fill "H" tires to 125 lbs without a problem.

Is that correct?
Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #14

I'm with you, Jeff. Trust but verify.
Before our recent trip, I installed a TireMinder TPMS system on my RW, with new batteries in each transmitter. I used my traditional tire gauge to check each tire before installing the transmitters. My Slime brand tire gauge indicated that all four were in the 110+ range, but the TPMS said that three were at 100 psi, and one at 85 psi. Oddly, that was the tire that later picked up a nail on our trip and actually ended up being at 85 psi. Worse yet, the monitor would only read one tire intermittently, even when I held it up next to the tire, so I gave up and removed the TPMS altogether, and just checked the tires manually instead.
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #15

I use a good quality manual gauge for the TV an RW tires and have a compressor in the basement on the driver side to top up tires or change the pressure in the Air Glide as necessary.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtasee View Post
Steve,

Is this a

DEWALT DWFP55130 Heavy Duty 200 PSI Quiet Trim Compressor?

It shows:3.0 SCFM delivered at 90 PSI pump, 2.5 gallon tank and 200 max PSI

Not sure what the SCFM and pump PSI means but I believe you are implying that it will fill "H" tires to 125 lbs without a problem.

Is that correct?
You are correct and an easy fill at 125. I have a few of these on my work trucks and works great. Your not going to run an impact for any amount of time due to small storage but it gets the job done on most projects.

Steve