Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Upgrading TV

Was thinking about changing out the tv in the “living room”. I was thinking that tv mounts generally worked will most all tv’s. After taking a look at the one Redwood mounted our tv on I’m not so sure.

Has anyone changed out their tv using the mount that came with the RV ? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thomas and Shana
R.I.P. Skip. We miss you old boy. Our travels will never be the same....

2015 Redwood 38RL
2013 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4WD DRW
thomas861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

Our coach is about the same age as yours, and two years ago we replaced our original Toshiba 40" with a Costco Visio 43". It was the largest screen I could put in and still fit back into the cabinet recess with the original mounting bracket. Just make sure that you understand some newer panels DO NOT HAVE TUNERS IN THEM, so depending on your program source, this may not work for you. We always use our Dish service, so there is no need for an onboard tuner for us. But the short answer was we used the largest current panel that would fit in the opening, and the swinging bracket worked just fine.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Same here. We replaced the toshibawith a 43" LG 4K smart tv this year. Existing swinging mount worked fine.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We will be using it with our Directv service so no need for a tuner. I assume I have the same mounts as you do. It just seems that the screws to mount the tv are pretty far apart. The rig came with a LG tv and on the top they even used what I’d call spacers to run the screws through. I’ve looked at a few tv’s in the stores and from what I can tell there doesn’t seem to be any holes to use with a mount on the top in the same area as my current tv.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 05-13-2018, 11:11 PM   #5

Well I changed our LG that dislodged some of the LED disfusers causing white spots with a higher quality version LG, BUT had to make some major modes to the bracket which included some new mounting holes and even cutting off a corner. Seems our mounting plate was not a universal mount, but custom made for Redwood.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Well I changed our LG that dislodged some of the LED disfusers causing white spots with a higher quality version LG, BUT had to make some major modes to the bracket which included some new mounting holes and even cutting off a corner. Seems our mounting plate was not a universal mount, but custom made for Redwood.

This is what I’m afraid of, doesn’t appear to be a standard mount to me. I suppose I could replace the mount completely.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 05-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #7

Last year. I replaced my 40” Toshiba on my ‘12RL with a 49” Sony XBR-49x800e 4K. The screen now sits on top of the recess slightly above the original recess and centered between the side cabinet doors of the entertainment center. This required a careful mod/relocation of the factory mount and reused the bracket - which bolted right up to the TV. The result was amazing - especially after I added UBP-x800 (a 4K blu-ray player). A bit of work but doable.
5th_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Time View Post
Last year. I replaced my 40” Toshiba on my ‘12RL with a 49” Sony XBR-49x800e 4K. The screen now sits on top of the recess slightly above the original recess and centered between the side cabinet doors of the entertainment center. This required a careful mod/relocation of the factory mount and reused the bracket - which bolted right up to the TV. The result was amazing - especially after I added UBP-x800 (a 4K blu-ray player). A bit of work but doable.
From the responses received so far, it seems that the mounts in 13 year models and earlier appear to be a standard mount. What I have in my 15 model isn’t and would require modification to be able to use it. I’m scratching my head over this since TV’s do quit and have to be replaced. Why make what should be an easy task for the owner to do so difficult ?

I’ve considered in the past doing what you’ve done. By that I mean adding a larger screen and centering it between the cabinet doors. We don’t use the storage space behind the TV anyway. I could go in with a mount similar to what is used in the bedroom. It would require modifications to ensure that when the new larger tv is placed on the mount, it sits just outside the current opening.

Thomas and Shana

2015 Redwood 38RL
Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #9

Thomas

Just note that our "older" coaches don't have the shelves and storage behind the living room TV like the newer models.............that may be why the difference in the mounting bracket. Behind our TV's is just an empty space slightly larger than the display's measurements.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #10

I replaced mine with a Sony 4K model XBR-43X800E. I had to lower the bracket 5 1/2 inches I used the same bracket came with the Redwood.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

I had to replace my TV in a 2015 Sequoia. It had a 43" Insignia (best buy private label). My unit has a swing arm mount from the right hand side and storage shelves behind. I found that the mount was a universal in terms of spacing (200 x 200) but that the vertical position varies between TV brands. The vertical center line is not specified on most of the TV's I looked at. The only way to know is physically measure it on a display model. My new Insignia 43" mounted 3 inches lower. I was able to remove the mount and move it up the required amount.
So be aware that some TV's and mounts are more standard than others !