Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 01:39 AM   #21

Michelle & Ann
I hear you and there is more to the story beside cost. I don't feel save to travel with the way it is, I'm concerned about leaving AL and heading to Indiana to have the IS system installed. I could have more wet bolt problems and the next time may not be as lucky. Nor do I feel good heading to KCMO without doing some thing. Too much time to think about what could go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel this trailer is too heavy for the suspension that's under it. Before I left on this trip tried to grease all the wet bolts several wouldn't take grease and I loosed them drove them out about a half inch and with the help of a breaker bar I was able get them to turn and take grease. Maybe I damaged them?
The baby step I could do my self, feel better about traveling. They appeared to be rusted or not having grease. An coming up on 74 years of age I'm sure how many trips I have in me.
Buck1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck1289 View Post
When you all upgraded to SRE 4000 how many installed the 3 cross members?
At my age and the traveling I may do, I'm backing off of having the IS system installed at this time. Seems to make more since to take baby steps.
There is only one cross member and that is in the center of the suspension where the SRE4000 mounts. If you are going to head to Indiana to do the IS suspension then I would try to get it there. The wet bolt have splines on them and they are on the side where the zerk to grease them is. If you tried to break them loose from the front then you were fighting the splines that are not meant to be turned. Loosen the nut on the back side and gently pound them out from the back side.

Where I ran into a problem with our springs is they were defective and the way to see if you are going to have a problem. Is to, look at the ends of the spring and see if it looks bent coming off of the second to the last spring to the eye/bushing. If you see some flatening or even bending then maybe order some replacement springs off of E-trailer.com the price around 32 bucks a piece for the 7000 double eye replacements. They will come with plastic bushings, but if you are going to have the IS system put in and you Do Not have to replace them because of an emergency. Then ship them back for a refund minus the restocking fee. Cheap insurance policy for the journey to MorRyde. I do not have the time to go get the IS system done so I am going to put in the heavy duty 7000 pound axles with the 8000 pound springs in. That should keep me trouble free for many years to come and if by that time maybe I will upgrade, maybe I will not.

Either way you have options and some ideas on what plan of attack you may want to try to build your confidence traveling.

Good Luck,
Tom

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #23

The full set is actually 3 cross-members.

Ironically the X-factor got started with frame failures from the first MorRyde LRE systems factory installed on Montana's. The robust rubber sheer housing of the LR system was wider and heavier than the frame rails on the Lippert frame and the lateral forces were at a point much lower than a standard equalizer. Eventually this caused the frame rail to twist and the frame webbing to bend, sometimes to the point of actual collapse of the frame. As a fix, MorRyde came out with the X-factor and marketed it. I don't think Lippert ever pro-actively did anything about it.

The SRE 4000 causes the same problem with lateral stress on the 12" thin frame webbing and rail.

The outside rails are to prevent the stress on the actual spring hangers that also can generate enough lateral pressure to bend the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1414703262-9-X_FACTOR.png (157.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg bent-frame.jpg (71.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg XqFlINjl.jpg (50.3 KB, 23 views)
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #24

Thanks for the pictures that is the type information I wanted.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #25

Brad -
Not sure where there's a recommendation for three cross members. I spoke directly with Mor/Ryde when doing the upgrade and they only mentioned one. In addition, their installation video only shows one cross member.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
Brad -
Not sure where there's a recommendation for three cross members. I spoke directly with Mor/Ryde when doing the upgrade and they only mentioned one. In addition, their installation video only shows one cross member.
Tom, that doesn't surprise me. I have found Mor-Ryde pretty much makes it up as they go. The X-factor was orignally shoved in Montana owners faces as 3 crossmembers, just like their flyer indicates
Performance Crossmembers by MORryde - MORryde Products
Ironically, the quote I got from them for my Redwood also included 3 crossmembers to use on the factory redwood suspension (equaflex).

I guess let me re-phrase - The X-factor is sold as a "single" crossmember and is designed to be used as a "1 or 3" crossmember system.

I know Mor-Ryde has a cult like following with some, but I've never had much use for them. Between shocks/no shock answers on our LRE for the Montana group, slide trays, and Jeep parts it's a crap shoot with them.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:59 PM   #27

Decison has been Maded

I have maded a decision and I have ordered parts. I talked with Mor-Ryde and they stated I had 2 options.
1. IS system upgrade at about $4000
2. CRE 3000, wet bolt kit and 3 cross members $700.00
3. SRS4000 is NOT compatible with 8000 LB axles
4. This a lower out of pocket expensive and I don’t how many mores trips I with doing and with this all the wet bolts will be replaced so I will feel safer traveling. Only time with tell if this the right decision!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #28
Site Team

I have the IS Suspension and love it. We've had it on the coach for over 4 years and more than 30k miles troublefree and worry free. Having said that, if we weren't traveling the way we do, I would probably go with the wetbolts and bushings and the CRE as you are.

if you're traveling significantly, the IS is worth every penny in my opinion. No worries about springs, shackles, etc and nothing moves around much in the coach.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:49 PM   #29

I think you will be very happy with the upgrade. We went with the SRE 4000 wet bolt kit last year made a huge difference. If we were fulltime I would have done the IS but for weekends and what we do the SRE 4000 was a perfect fit. Good Luck and safe travels.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:27 AM   #30

We've got 50-60k on ours with 7k axles, original equalizer, & MR heavy shackles with wet bolts without any suspension issues. Maybe we've been very lucky?
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote