Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
Site Team

Unhappy Owner

Ran into a Redwood owner here at the park we are staying at here in AZ. Asked them how they liked their RW and got an ear full. Have had several problems, including suspension problems. After we talked awhile, we both agreed that all RV's have some problems but their main beef is that RW will not stand behind their product and warranty. Said they would not recommend a RW to anyone.

Unfortunately, this is the response I get more often than not when I talk to RW owners. Redwood if you monitor this forum please take note. Don't see how this can be good for business in the long run.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:46 AM   #2

Hey Bruce, where are you in Arizona? We drive through Silverado RV park a couple days ago & saw 4-5 RWs.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Team

I sent you a PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #4

I agree! They suck! Not looking to ever buy another RV but hindsight is 20/20!
Old 01-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
Hey Bruce, where are you in Arizona? We drive through Silverado RV park a couple days ago & saw 4-5 RWs.
We are in Silverado. There are currently 5 RW's and 2 Sequoias.

Rick
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 AM   #6

All I know is that I love my RW. Have had no major issues and love the brand..
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
+1

The only thing I will say is that Redwood should think about where the owner is going to get his first impression. Their attitude in the beginning will follow through the ownership process.

JD Powers surveys the automotive industry and one of the most important issues measured is "Initial Quality". One of their biggest awards is for this category.

Satellite and cable TV is the very first thing EVERY customer is going to get hooked up. For almost no cost and very little effort, the cable/satellite/TV instructions and labeling every connection (including the roof connections) would take care of that initial quality experience.

Even my dealer was not able to get everything hooked up originally.

Other than that little issue, I absolutely love our Redwood and would definitely recommend the brand to my friends.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:56 AM   #8

We really liked our Redwood, but I would have to agree the suspension was sub-par and I was really frustrated 2 years ago when Redwood would deny bearing issues, brake issues, or any suspension problems because the customer failed to follow prescribed maintenance procedures in the manual. My favorite was rechecking the brake adjustment within 200 miles when most all Redwoods were in transport at the time. I really got disillusioned when the President said at the rally that the 2+5 was written to favor Redwood rather than the customer so that was why he dropped it.
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

38RL coming up on 2 years!

We too are pretty much NOT happy with the RW Line.

Right now, our RW is in the shop for some Warranty repair issues. Hopefully the dealership can get all this stuff repaired.

I did have the RW up to the factory repair shop in Topeka, IN last year. I must say, the folks that worked on the RW were very knowledgeable and had a great attitude. I spent 3 days in a local motel until the repairs were complete. I visited the shop everyday to check on the progress. Again, the guys working on my unit were GREAT! However, the Customer Service people are absolutely Horrible! These people work hard to NOT help the owner when it comes to having repairs done.

If you intend to keep your RW past the 2 year warranty, I would strongly recommend getting an Extended Warranty with Good Sams Warranties.

As it stands with the issues we have had so far, it appears we will need the extended warranty in the future, past our 2 year warranty expiring!

The biggest thing to remember here is RW is a subsidiary of Cross Roads RV and owned by THOR Industries. THOR is only interested in making the GREEN and really doesn't care about customer service! Anybody that tells you otherwise is Lying!

Fortunately, I live close by an Axle company and I plan on replacing both Axles and Suspension soon. Will use the Morryde System!

From what I have read on other forums and internet postings, RW may be on the way out, if they continue with such Shoddy attitudes about Customer Service.

You all take Care.
camper94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridiron View Post
I agree. The only thing that would make me happier is if I could pull the RW with a Grand Cherokee rather then a Dually.
bergeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
Site Team

I should have stated when I started this thread that we too very much like our Redwood and have had very few problems, all of which i repaired myself. Just wish RW would take care of warranty problems better and do hope they stay in business.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Another happy RW Owner here... this July mine will be 2 years young.
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #13

We've had ours now for almost 4 years, and have lived as snowbirds the past three winters, and have been very satisfied. Only two significant problems, the lousy original suspension, and the dreaded "bedroom slide cracking", both of which Redwood covered under warranty. The cracking was covered under the +5 portion of the warranty, as we were past the two year bumper to bumper time frame.

Jim & Mary 2013 36 RL with Titan Disc Brakes Residential Fridge Goodyear 17.5 H rated tires MORryde IS, MORryde pin box 2015 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW
Jim & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #14

Those of you that's been around longer than me know my attitude toward Thor/Crossroads/RW customer disservice.
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #15

We have had some issues with our RW. We have had 6 other RV's over the last 20 years they all have had some problems at one time or another. I have had better customer service with different MFGERS. So far I still happy with our RW.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt View Post
Ran into a Redwood owner here at the park we are staying at here in AZ. Asked them how they liked their RW and got an ear full. Have had several problems, including suspension problems. After we talked awhile, we both agreed that all RV's have some problems but their main beef is that RW will not stand behind their product and warranty. Said they would not recommend a RW to anyone.

Unfortunately, this is the response I get more often than not when I talk to RW owners. Redwood if you monitor this forum please take note. Don't see how this can be good for business in the long run.
Every single warranty issue I had was fixed promptly by Colerain RV in Cincinnati, OH. RW covered every single thing that I had fixed. I was extremely happy with my RW, and several on here know my initial reservations on this product. I came into the RW family after having a very low opinion of Crossroads. RW went above and beyond. Although my unit has new owners now, my RW was the best 5er I ever owned.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 PM   #17

The main issue with rvs, other than poor QC, is if you aren't able to/willing to work on it yourself then plan it to spending more time in the shop than at the campground DON'T buy any rv, they will ALL need something the manufacturers were too cheap/to big of hurry/didn't give a rats a## about to be repaired/replaced.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
The main issue with rvs, other than poor QC, is if you aren't able to/willing to work on it yourself then plan it to spending more time in the shop than at the campground DON'T buy any rv, they will ALL need something the manufacturers were too cheap/to big of hurry/didn't give a rats a## about to be repaired/replaced.
That is for sure !!!!
17.5 Goodyear G114's, RV Armor Roof
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Curt Q24 Hitch

rob_fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #19
Site Team

The RVs allow all of us the freedoms and flexibility to live almost anywhere in comfort. But they do require maintenance and constant inspection. Unfortunately I believe there are a lot of people that don't realize this when purchasing from fast talking salespeople.

There are RVs built better than others, but they all require the maintenance and repair. When Redwood first started, it was their goal to provide service better than the competition and I believe for the most part they achieved their goal (which won me over). But I think they went through a tough couple of years where their attitudes changed toward the owners and focused more on what the dealers wanted (with exception to parts). From what I hear, that attitude has changed and they are again trying to work with the owners, but it's going to take some time to resurrect a positive image around the campfires because by nature people complain more than they compliment.

I think Redwood is a beautiful RV and I really hope they're successful at rebuilding their image because I'd like to see more of them on the road.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:25 AM   #20

I will throw my 2 cents into the Thread

My RW I have enjoyed the looks, the floor plan 39MB, and the extra room and storage for clothing. But that is where it stops.
My local dealers will not service the unit since I did not purchase it locally. Plus even now the local dealers have drop RW from their inventory.
My deal was related to cold weather and the water lines freezing up at 32 degrees. I get it that these units are not efficient but don't advertise that these RW are 4 seasons Residential and 2nd to none. Kind of like pissing on my feet and the manufacture telling me it is raining the way I have been treated from the factory.
Mike Antal Owners Customer Relations mgr told me that most RW customer use their unit in Florida in the winter. Well I live in MD ( not in Canada ) and the first day it got below 32 NO WATER.
I called dealers No body wanted to deal with this issue. So RW allowed me to bring the unit Topeka IN to address this freezing water lines. To make a long story shorter, It was last March 2016 the unit went back to RW and spring set in and unit was not tested in a freeze condition until this year and the very first freeze NO WATER.
Here is where it gets better. No local dealers or the closing one now that services RW was in PA near Pittsburgh but told me they would not have any idea when they could work on my unit. Well I full time in my unit and they was not the answer I wanted to hear.
SO I called customer service department and said I was bring the unit back to Topeka IN and was told Do Not Bring Your Unit Back. They would not support my unit even if I was going to bring the unit back at my cost.
I am going to take legal action against these jerks of a company.

Redwood Customer Service and the lack of Support from Topeka only makes me want to warn anyone who wants to purchase a RW, don't count on this company to support you.

I used a company called Ultra Heat in Elkhart IN. This company took the time to wrap every water line and placed heating pads with the objective that this unit now can be parked and plugged in using 12volt and 120 for heating elements ran throughout where the water lines run and even the line to the ice maker so I do not have to have the furnace running to keep the water lines from freezing. And the test we had the unit plugged in with 18 degrees outside and Ultra heat forgot to turn on the thermostat so the next morning inside my coach it was in the low 20 degree and nothing froze up. Went to the sink and turned on the water and I have running water.

Discovery was that nothing under the floor with RW is insulated. In fact the hold cut through the floor where the water lines run below the floor to get to the sink area had a large hole totally exposed to the underbelly. IF they want to advertise that these units are 4 season they should tell consumers that the winter season better be spent in Florida. Or the water is not going to work.

Just bad customer relations on my deal and no support anywhere in the east coast from Richmond Va to Baltimore MD and even up to Pittsburgh Pa All dealers said Will handled any warranty work if not purchase from them and one dealership got ride of RW and does not carry their product anymore and only handles their customer base. I did speak with a dealership in West Palm Fl who would work on my unit but being in Florida they were not very up to the skill set of winterizing a RV to work in the state of Maryland.
obxguy is offline   Reply With Quote