Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #21

We have had our unit since 2012. I work on the road and even though not full time, very close. Since then, the only freezing we have experienced was the hose for the fresh water supply and that was our fault. We are very pleased with our Redwood and would buy another if needed. Not to say there haven't been a few minor issues, but none that we couldn't handle. Ours was bought used so any repairs that needed to be done were by us or out of pocket. Seems that anyone with major issues are few and far between, just like any other brand.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #22

OK, in mid October we were in Thompson, Manitoba, Canada. Our '16 39MB was left at the CG for three days while we went on up to Churchill in search of Polar Bears.
We did bring in the Kitchen/Entertainment slide while gone and left the furnace set in the mid 60's. The temp in the GC was in the upper teens while we were gone and the only problem we had was the line to the ice maker must have froze, but once warmed up was fine.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab High Country DRW, D/A, 2016 RW39MB, Dual ACs, Auto Level, Auto Sat Dish, Stack W/D, King Sleep #, 17.5" Sailuns w/Disc, MORryde IS & Pin, Comfort Ride Hitch, 5.5 Onan, Res Fridge & Induction Cook Top
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 AM   #23

I am invested for the long haul

I read many post and like any RV there are problems. I accept that fact. This Owners forum has a lot of great info and detail and their are all subjects in here that we can relate to.
I want to thank everyone that has said nice things or giving advise.

My only regret is that we are all invested in a RV company that is having its share of customer service issues.

Accountable is the one word I would hope we can all hold RW company to. IF you say it is 4 season then it should be. But my discoveries show a lack care in that statement for winter use.

I have had to drop the underbelly and wrap every water line in the unit. I have now fixed my issues but not with RW factory help. IF you care to take the time and look at the bottom of the unit after the under belly is drop you will be amazed why you are not freezing up every 30 degree night. My 39MB hardly had enough air flowing from the furnace towards the kitchen sink area and there was a large hole cut through the floor where the water lines come through and if you could look down you would see ground with the belly removed. Totally exposed .... I get that Your RV does not freeze but my units does and has and now has been fixed and again not with the help of RW factory. I just hope people understand what they are purchasing. It is not a 4 season unit if you are north in the winter in my unit. Everyone else can make up there buying decision.
obxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #24

OBX GUY...I feel your pain. On the other hand, you have a certain peace of mind now, knowing that your coach is better than factory new. That would give me great confidence rolling down the road. Good luck.
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #25

I'm certain that 99.9% of us have upgraded, modified, repaired dozens of items on our RWs that should've/could've been easily done or corrected at the factory during the build if anyone cared about anything but getting the allotted quota out the door so they could go home, but regardless of the brand or price range you would've had most likely the very same issues & maybe more. Welcome to the rv industry!
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #26

As said above welcome to the RV industry the most non-regulated industry in the USA. But if you have some mechanical abilities you can enjoy making your rig into the perfect unit for your living conditions. It doesn't matter what brand you have they all are built to keep you dry for weekend outings to some park some where and that is it. As I take my new to me off the lot RW home. I take it with the understanding that with it comes the frustrations of owning a non regulated consumer item. With that very understanding I know that in the past I have had to rewire them fix many other items to include 5 black water baths because some lazy factory line worker left the drilled out plug in the tank causing it to burst. Speaking on that line did you know that every RV holding tank in the industry is not mounted by the manufacturer recommendations. Yes talked to the owner of the company that supplies these tanks and was told that they are supposed to be supported by 2 straps across the bottom of the tank. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and make sure you do not travel with anything in your grey and black water tanks, if you have to dump them at the first opportunity. Yes, "I am in it for the long haul."

HDT 1999 Volvo VNL610 12.7 Detroit 10 Spd Eaton Manual trans. 430 HP, 1500 pounds of torque,
"The Beast" (retired) 2003 Dodge 3500
2014 RW 38GK14, solar panels with MPPT controller, Progressive surge guard, 2 group 31 AGM batteries, Morryde SLR4000, Titan disc brakes,
Tom's38GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #27
Site Team

I really enjoy the time we spend in the rv but I there should be some accountability by the manufacturers with what they claim in their sales pitches. All the rv manufacturers show pictures of the insulation in the walls a roof area but few show what's underneath. And underneath is just as important but harder to insulate in a fast build process.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good manufactures out there but you have to spend a lot of money to get to them.