Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Site Team

While at the rally it was asked if I would take over the ownership of the forum. I had agreed and was looking forward to the endeavor. Unfortunately with some other changes taken place in the management at Redwood that offer has been withdrawn and a new company will be soon managing the forum which in all likelihood also eliminates the need of the current moderators.

Hopefully this will only be a hiccup for everybody involved.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Darn it Dave. But it leaves you with more Jack time. Hope to see you again soon. All the best and keep those numbers dropping
Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campers
Darn it Dave. But it leaves you with more Jack time. Hope to see you again soon. All the best and keep those numbers dropping
It's only been rumored that I have Jack time
Old 08-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

I have pictures of you and "Jack" !!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #5

Dave,
Sorry to hear about the change. Hopefully, whoever or whatever takes over will keep this as an informative forum without a lot of bull. All the changes that have been going on at the management level concerns me. Some of them I agree with, like the Carriage withdraw at the present time, but it should never have been put out in the first place until they were ready to proceed. I hope this isn't a trial and error thing to see what works without a lot of thought before hand.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #6

Very sorry to hear that Dave! Is it true Tom Montague has left?
atom ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom ant

Very sorry to hear that Dave! Is it true Tom Montague has left?

That's what I've been told
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #8

I was told by my dealer today that a new VP is on the way.

Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #9

Hopefully Tom was promoted & not booted. They've got a great product & great people, why spoil it??
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans
Hopefully Tom was promoted & not booted. They've got a great product & great people, why spoil it??
Unfortunately he was booted
Old 08-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

WOW.... Seems that after every Rally there is some kind of “change” that we find out about within a couple weeks after the Rally. As the saying goes things that make you go Hmmmmm...... Good Luck to Tom. Hmmmmm.

Full Timers in our 2013 36FL with MoRryde 8000# IS suspension. Pulled by 2012 Sport Chassis with Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch.
UNDRPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Team

FWIW ~ I went through a similar Forum change with the Cherokee Pilots Association. The original forum, which was a very close knit and active bunch like we are, was sold and the result was much less than satisfactory.

We started our own and virtually everyone jumped ship and came with us to the new one. It was (and still is) supported by the members and administered by one of the members . Just a thought, just in case ..........we have way to good a group to let somebody mess with us .
Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #13

I'm less worried about the forum (as a solution readily exist to 'migrate' )

much more worried about:
1) current 38gk being built for us (selfish I know)
2) future support and warranty (for all of us)

To say it is concerning is a gross understatement as I've already owned one orphan !

johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy
FWIW ~ I went through a similar Forum change with the Cherokee Pilots Association. The original forum, which was a very close knit and active bunch like we are, was sold and the result was much less than satisfactory.

We started our own and virtually everyone jumped ship and came with us to the new one. It was (and still is) supported by the members and administered by one of the members . Just a thought, just in case ..........we have way to good a group to let somebody mess with us .
I'm starting a new forum for this reason www.redwood5er.com

email your ideas for setting this up dm586778@gmail.com
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Site Team

Dave-Happy that you are able to do something about the impending forum change. I will help you in any way that I can.

I believe with Tom's management skills and RV knowledge that he will hit the ground running and will probably be better off. Sorry to see him out of Redwood though. I am fearful that these changes will not be for the good of Redwood but we shall see. Having started Redwood from the ground up, he had a passion for Redwood that will be hard to match by his replacement.Edited by: Blenhardt
Old 08-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt
Dave-Happy that you are able to do something about the impending forum change. I will help you in any way that I can.

I believe with Tom's management skills and RV knowledge that he will hit the ground running and will probably be better off. Sorry to see him out of Redwood though. I am fearful that these changes will not be for the good of Redwood but we shall see. Having started Redwood from the ground up, he had a passion for Redwood that will be hard to match by his replacement.
Any possibility that Tom and Redwood may have had a disagreement about the Carriage brand. Obviously, Carriage is something that he was/is passionate about. Also, he may (?) be in the works of getting the Carriage brand operating but had to detach from Redwood. Anything's possible.

Either way........Tom will do well in whatever endeavor he is seeking.

Dave from Maine
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenhardt

I believe with Tom's management skills and RV knowledge that he will hit the ground running and will probably be better off. Sorry to see him out of Redwood though. I am fearful that these changes will not be for the good of Redwood but we shall see. Having started Redwood from the ground up, he had a passion for Redwood that will be hard to match by his replacement.

Thanks Bruce
Old 08-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #18

"Unfortunately" change is coming.
Dave, can you tell us what's unfortunate?
Oh...I forgot the five kids.
spindrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift
"Unfortunately" change is coming.
Dave, can you tell us what's unfortunate?
There's been a major change in the management. Within the last 2 weeks both of the guys that had been the driving force behind the Redwood product line has now been terminated.

Many of us had the chance to meet Tom who came to both of the rallys. He was one of the original thinkers of the Redwood who worked hard to fight for the RV owners. To be fair with the parent company (Thor), business is business and there must be some other underlying reason for these departures.

At the rally Tom had offered to turn this site over to the group, so Redwood wouldn't have anything to do with it. He has said a company wanted to buy it but he was happy with the idea of instead turning it over to us. With his departure that offer was withdrawn

We the end consumer may never really know what is going on in the corporate world of the RV industry. I still love the Redwood product and hope the company builds a better product tomorrow than they did yesterday, however different management at the top isn't always good because it keeps everyone wondering who's next and what ideals are changing.

Edited by: Dave&Ginny
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #20

It will be interesting to see what happens to Redwood. I have to say that Tom was the reason I went with Redwood over orderingmy 4th Montana. I had planned on going with a Big Sky edition but was displeased with the area sales manager ofMontana and his attitude towards me and a request that I had sent. I ran into Tom at the Chicago RV show in Feb of 2012 and he spent a great deal of time with me. Between his willingness to alter my Redwood with a few changes I wanted, plus the superior service the area sales manager of Redwood gave to me and my dealer during the ordering process, the decision was easy. Redwood won hands down. I also have to say that during my tenure of owning 3 Montana's prior to this and being very active in the owners community, I also say a changing of the guard at Montana as well. While some decisions/changes I felt were not for the better, there were also some that I feel have done very well for Montana. All in all, I am sad to hear that Tom is no longer with Redwood. As many have stated,Tom was the heart and soul behindRedwood and finding another person with that kind of vested interest in Redwood will be hard, if not almost impossible. I too will be interested to see where Tom lands as I would expect to see great things from that company in the future with him at the helm.