Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Turning off residential refrigerator

I have a 38GK with the Samsung residential refrigerator. I want to turn it off while plugged in, parked next to my house. So far, the only way I have found is to program the refrigerator into demo mode which turns off the compressor.

I thought about flipping the circuit breaker but I have done some research as to how the inverter/converter is wired. It appears that the Magnum inverter/converter has a built in transfer switch and is hard wired to the circuit breaker for the refrigerator. Therefore if I flip off the breaker, I would also loose power to the inverter/converter and thus not keep the batteries charged.

Has anyone tried the demo mode or located the outlet to unplug the refrigerator?

Thanks,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #2

Same thing I found
Only success I've had is turning the inverter off when running on batteries..

Whenever plugged in, it's on ! I called Samsung and their response was it's a residential, no need for an off switch

Putting a switch on the receptacle would probably be the ticket...

IF yours is like ours - I think the outlet is behind the bottom drawer in the pic below...

(oh, and excuse the water droplets all over in the picture - that's another story suffice it to say your exposed ice maker line enters there !)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Water leak 02-08.jpg (71.0 KB, 9 views)
johnboytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #3

I have just been flipping the breaker that shuts it off, the bad side is it shuts off everything in the slide except the microwave. As far as charging the batteries mine are charging with the inverter off and breaker off so I assume the converter is charging them not the inverter which should also charge them if its on. Its a pretty confusing system but mine is plugged in to shore power all the time with fridge off. So far no problems also make sure your inverter is set up correctly its got a lot of settings you can access with the remote panel.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #4

Cool

Railcat,

Thanks for the info. Reading the specs on the inverter it looks as thought it had a converter too. I'm planing on pulling the basement wall down to cake to see how it's wired.

Johnboytoo ,

Thanks for the pic. I assume it's the bottom drawer next to the frig.

I still want to try the demo mode "dealers only", can some one anoint me so I don't violate any codes?
Old 03-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #5

Yes, pull the bottom drawer out all the way and that's what I see....

NOW, haven't mastered releasing the drawers so I can pull it out yet
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Railcat,

Thanks for the info. Reading the specs on the inverter it looks as thought it had a converter too. I'm planing on pulling the basement wall down to cake to see how it's wired.

Johnboytoo ,

Thanks for the pic. I assume it's the bottom drawer next to the frig.

I still want to try the demo mode "dealers only", can some one anoint me so I don't violate any codes?
Yes that's correct it will also charge the batteries on its own with no shore power hooked up. To my understanding when you hook up shore power the converter in the coat closet then charges batteries, but like I said a confusing setup I wish someone knew more on this system. My dealer knew nothing about how it works kind of scary but to their defense this was their second one sold with the residential fridge.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Railcat,

My dealer was in the same boat. I just wanted to find the inverter and they were not sure where it was!

Assuming that we have the Magnum MMS-1012, I have a pretty good handle on how it functions. This unit is a combination inverter/charger.

The manual describes two modes: Inverter Mode and Standby Mode.

The Inverter mode is accessed by manually turning the inverter on in the convenience center thus providing ac power to the refer from the batteries. The battery charger in this mode is off preventing a loop (batteries trying to charge themselves).

The Standby mode is when ac current is provided by either shore or generator power. The unit senses the ac and sends it on the way to the refer. While in this mode, it charges the batteries. Therefore when the circuit breaker is off, the inverter/battery charger are off too.

There is a good wiring diagram in the manual for the Magnum, http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0036%20Rev%20A%20(MMS%20Series).pdf. Page 8-9 shows the hardwired or plug-in diagram.

While in storage, I want to be able to keep my batteries charged while being plugged in and not have the refer running. I'm going to try the Demo mode 1st. If that doesn't work, johnboytoo showed us where the plug is. Hopefully, I can install an on/off switch without too much trouble.

Ken
Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #8

Interested..... good research and agree - my dealer had to contact the mfg for wiring diagram and it took a week or more to get it...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #9
Traveling

I can't think what would be running in demo mode. Only the LED lights turn on when you open the door, but nothing else, so it shouldn't draw much power. Good luck! Let us know.
TNTBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Railcat,

My dealer was in the same boat. I just wanted to find the inverter and they were not sure where it was!

Assuming that we have the Magnum MMS-1012, I have a pretty good handle on how it functions. This unit is a combination inverter/charger.

The manual describes two modes: Inverter Mode and Standby Mode.

The Inverter mode is accessed by manually turning the inverter on in the convenience center thus providing ac power to the refer from the batteries. The battery charger in this mode is off preventing a loop (batteries trying to charge themselves).

The Standby mode is when ac current is provided by either shore or generator power. The unit senses the ac and sends it on the way to the refer. While in this mode, it charges the batteries. Therefore when the circuit breaker is off, the inverter/battery charger are off too.

There is a good wiring diagram in the manual for the Magnum, http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literature/Manuals/Inverters/64-0036%20Rev%20A%20(MMS%20Series).pdf. Page 8-9 shows the hardwired or plug-in diagram.

While in storage, I want to be able to keep my batteries charged while being plugged in and not have the refer running. I'm going to try the Demo mode 1st. If that doesn't work, johnboytoo showed us where the plug is. Hopefully, I can install an on/off switch without too much trouble.

Ken

I still just shut off the breaker and it won't ever use any power, and the batteries are still being charged. The breaker for the slide that is. Seems the simplest to me.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 AM   #11

I was able to verify this weekend that on my rig I can:
Turn the refer off by going into demo mode. This leaves the lights on, but no compressor. The temp display for both the frig and freezer reads 'of'.

Turning off the breaker removes power from the inverter/charger thus the batteries are not being charged. The Magnum ME-MR remote shows "no charger", "no ac". I also found that I can turn off the charger using the remote.

Ken
Old 03-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #12

Quote:
I was able to verify this weekend that on my rig I can:
Turn the refer off by going into demo mode. This leaves the lights on, but no compressor. The temp display for both the frig and freezer reads 'of'.

Turning off the breaker removes power from the inverter/charger thus the batteries are not being charged. The Magnum ME-MR remote shows "no charger", "no ac". I also found that I can turn off the charger using the remote.

Ken
Yours must be wired differently mine still charges the batteries with the breaker off to the fridge. You leave the breaker on to the inverter thus still charging them. You are correct if you turn off the breaker to the inverter it obviously will turn ac power off to the inverter thus not charging the batteries. Demo mode is not required as just turn off breaker to the slide.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #13

Thanks Ken,
good to know --- now I just need to find the demo mode menu
Old 03-24-2014, 05:47 AM   #14

Johnboytoo
Press and hold freezer and power freeze buttons at the same time for 3 seconds. Repeat to turn back on.

Ken
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #15

Cool, many thanks ! will try it out this afternoon when I go get it out of storage to prep for our trip...