Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Turn off batteries while in storage?

Hi. I store my 2013 Redwood 39MB FOR six months in Florida so there is no issue with cold temperatures. I have turned my batteries to OFF during storage but do not disconnect them. Do I need to turn them off? Should I disconnect them? What is best for the battery life? I have a magnum inverter and solar panels.

Thanks much in advance!

Kate
Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #2

Not sure how your unit with the panels differs from our 2013 36RL, but I'll make a comment. Our unit was wired in the factory in such a way that with the battery switch off some items like the CO detector and the display for the jacks bypassed the switch. I had the RV plugged in and the battery switch off in our driveway and the battery was completely drained after a month because the switch in the off position prevented charging from the convertor to the battery while the other stuff drained it. I shifted wires at the circuit breaker bank to ensure that the battery was completely disconnected when turned off.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Thank you for your response. My unit is not plugged in while in storage. So now I am thinking to leave them ON to keep them charged?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

If you are not plugged in and don't have solar the batteries will not be charging in storage. Most of us have found that even with the Factory disconnect turned off we still have some slow battery draw in the coach that will drain the batteries. I put a battery disconnect in line at battery and this solved the drainage problem.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Thanks much. I do have solar.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Thank you for your response. My unit is not plugged in while in storage. So now I am thinking to leave them ON to keep them charged?

Perhaps the easiest way to solve the problem is to physically disconnect the batteries while in storage assuming that they are fully charged when you disconnect them.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:40 AM   #7

It would be my opinion to check the battery water , top it off and leave it on a float charge. Turn off the 90amp converter and use solar or the inverter charger with the charge amps set to low output . I have my inverter programed to run at low rate of recharge and 15 amp input so it max charge is 12 amps and go into float if it doesn't see the battery voltage below 13.2vdc. if you leave it for 6 months the battery's will be low when you get back and possible will have a much shorter life expectance if they are not charged for 6 months
Old 02-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

unit is stored in Florida with solar panels, no shore power and i assume the panels are connected directly to the battery bank.
you will need to have a second battery switch that will turn all the power to the coach as Redwood leaves certain items connected even with the original battery switch off.
turn off the inverter
turn off the 2 switches

leave the solar connected
open the fridge / freezer door
leave the roof vents cracked ever so slightly
dehumidifying stuff in the sinks (as it can get really damp in these units there due to the outside humidity in the summer)

all the above is if you only have minimum solar power.

if you have enough solar to recharge the batteries in a single day

i would turn off all items fridge - inverter etc. and leave one ceiling fan set for 80deg and it will keep the humidity (mold)out.
2015 38 GK
Cheryl & Wayne
ted 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

We have a 2015 39MB, had same problem with batteries, installed a second cut off switch, that now cuts all power to RV. We live in ours full time now, but can still store cut both switches off and batteries will not discharge anymore.
Doesn't cost a lot to do, bought a Marine Battery cut off switch and had one battery cable made and problem was solved.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff&Karen39MB View Post
We have a 2015 39MB, had same problem with batteries, installed a second cut off switch, that now cuts all power to RV. We live in ours full time now, but can still store cut both switches off and batteries will not discharge anymore.
Doesn't cost a lot to do, bought a Marine Battery cut off switch and had one battery cable made and problem was solved.
My 2015 38RL was wired wrong at the factory, and also wrong when RW fixed it at a Rally. I finally re-wired the battery compartment myself and now when I turn the cutoff switch off, the batteries are actually disconnected! If you have a residential fridge and inverter, the inverter draws 6 amps even if the fridge is turned off. That will drain your batteries in a couple of days with no load on the inverter!
2015 38RL with MORryde IS, residential fridge, DW, washer and dryer, generator, and slide in slide. 2 A/C, 1 HP and a fireplace. Added 17.5 inch wheels. Follows a 2013 Ram dually diesel with 8' bed and Reese 20K.
RW Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #11

the inverter has a off setting , your correct about it drawing the battery down if its left on. Also the propane leak detector will draw battery's down .
Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #12

Either a quick rewire - simple to do - or disconnect the batteries.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #13

I just unhook the negative cords and leave it at that. No battery drain.
gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote