Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #1

Tri-Glide Hitch

Greetings all.....Not sure why this hitch appears to be such a secret....not a lot of info any where about it...its operation....grease points....how its supposed to work (mainly the lower plate movement...and its relationship to grease ? Mine moves easily front to back with only a small amount of resistance...I read some where its weight dependent....(more weight ...more resistance)...sound right ?
Getting it set up with air pressure it seems that about 60 psi is the magic number for inflation to the top of the arrows on the decal on the shock....So anyone with more info on this pin box...please share...just making sure everything is safe...

Thanks

Wes & Denise.....2015 38RL Loaded / 2016 F-450
wintertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #2

There are 9 grease zerks, 3 on either side & 3 up in the hitch on the roller tubes. When in good working order properly greased there should be some resistance when moving it by hand.
If it were mine I'd call Lippert & have a replacement sent.
There's been issues with the rollers coming apart. I believe they will send a fixed lower jaw still utilizing the shock/airbag. Hopefully others that have done this will chime in with more/better info.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin' texans View Post
There are 9 grease zerks, 3 on either side & 3 up in the hitch on the roller tubes. When in good working order properly greased there should be some resistance when moving it by hand.
If it were mine I'd call Lippert & have a replacement sent.
There's been issues with the rollers coming apart. I believe they will send a fixed lower jaw still utilizing the shock/airbag. Hopefully others that have done this will chime in with more/better info.
Just finished installing my new lower plate the other day. Piece of cake really, if you have something to lift the old plate out and the new plate in. I used my tractor. Two strong backs can get it replaced as well. Lippert was pretty easy to deal with, they wanted pics of the old plate and sent a new one no charge and no shipping.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #4

Tri Glide

Thanks for the comments....I am not totally confident with the pin box and its action....the violent "clunk" when ever I stop or take off can't be right....Any of you that have contacted Lippert about this problem....could you please link me with a Phone #....Thanks ...Wes
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

That violent clunk is what finally causes the issues, once the lower jaw is replaced you should not have that.
If you go to the Redwood Owners Group forum & register for the RW rally this July in Indiana & submit this as one of your 2 repair request you could get replaced by the RW techs while having a great time with about a 100 other RW owners.
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin' texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Lippert 574-537-8900 or

customerservice@lci1.com

2012 36RL, Full Body Paint, Dual Awning, Dual a/c, Splendide Combo, Fisher Paykel dishwasher, 6.5kW Onan, Goodyear G614's. 2015 F550 6.7l, 4X4, Lariat, CC, 176" WB, Long Box, B&W Companion
r time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:17 PM   #7

Called Lippert about two years ago and got the replacement lower Jaw. I was able to install it by myself easily with a forklift from work took about hour to complete. Lippert shipped out the replacement to me at no cost. I think I had to give Serial number of trailer and some other information don't remember that far back.

574-537-8900
Old 03-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #8

switched mine with the Flex Air and love the difference... I was having the same symptoms as you are, along with others.

Like stated above, IF you go to the Redwood Owners Rally in Indiana this July, you would be able to get it corrected..

I was greasing ALL 9 zerks, and still had the issue...
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #9

Tri-Glide Update

Called Lippert....explained the issues....They are sending a replacement lower Jaw
Easy to deal with.....a few pictures....some serial numbers....One phone call ...one email..

Thankyou you all for your input....It was in the back of my mind the issue and the fact it needed to be addressed....If I were going to hit the road with our RW and make some serious miles.....I may have replaced the whole unit instead of the "fixed Jaw" that is coming...The flex air is one I would have considered....
NOW.....tires....It never ends ....LOL

Wes & Denise....2015 loaded 38RL / F-450
Old 04-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #10

The fixed lower plate works well. The airbag and shock take all the chucking out.

easy to replace. Three 70 year old guys did it with no equipment but wrenches.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:30 AM   #11

Jaw replacement

Got indication that the replacement jaw has been shipped...How about one 60 year old guy replacing it...lol..I have equipment here on the farm to lend a hand..should be no issue..
Thankyou all
Wes
Old 04-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertree View Post
Got indication that the replacement jaw has been shipped...How about one 60 year old guy replacing it...lol..I have equipment here on the farm to lend a hand..should be no issue..
Thankyou all
Wes
I ( 54 year old ) replaced mine by myself... I had a rolling poly cart with a floor jack strapped to the top.. I rolled it under the pin box, loosened the nuts, removed all bolts but 1 on each side.
I made sure the jack was under the box and raised snug... I then removed the final bolts and lowered the pin box...

I simply rolled the table over to my truck and rolled it onto my tailgate.. Then I added the new one the same way,....

I would assume replacing the lower jaw would be a tab bit easier....
Ford truck guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #13

Parts are here....

Hello Everyone....Parts to change over from the tri-glide to a fixed jaw showed up today.....noticed I will be about 1 1/2" higher at the pin box when I get the new jaw installed...? Is that what others have noticed....I can raise the hitch head in my truck to compensate....as it is the easier task than lowering the whole pin box..Others had to make this adjustment ?

Thanks Wes

2015 38RL loaded / 2016 F-450
Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #14

I raised the hitch. Lowering the pin box puts it closer to the bed sides.
Elliott & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

Greetings all....I installed the replacement parts yesterday without issue....used are smaller farm tractor (loader) as a helping hand....After measuring pin height before and after....looks like the pin placement is 2 1/2" higher now that the replacement fixed jaw is in place.....I will see if I have that much adjustment in my truck hitch to compensate...may have to do a combination adjustment (lower the trailer pin box one set of holes and raise the truck hitch a bit to get things level....
All in All....took about an hour....basic skills and tools needed (less the tractor)
Thankyou all who steered me in the right direction to get this issue resolved

Wes

2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 04-18-2019, 12:26 AM   #16

I forgot to measure before height, go so excited to do the change over. I see 1 1/2 inches to 2 1/2 inches change in height. I have a Reese 20K, can raise it at least 2 inches if not 3. Guess I'll have to hook up and see what needs to be done. Certainly easier to raise the hitch than lower that kingpin.

Also, I had a bit of a time trying to get the new anchor pin to line up once it went through the hitch.....finagled it a bit, and got it to go....bit of a pain for a one man show.

2014 38GK, disc brakes, MorRyde SRE 4000, 2-Yamaha 2000 gennys, G14's, dual awnings, Progressive EMS.
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW with Luverne Bull Bar and skid plate.
coloradolivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:03 AM   #17

Yes.....installing the pin was the only issue (one man show also).....managed to get the bolt started on the side that wouldn't quite line up...used it to draw the pin home.....I have a Reese 25K but only have one hole left to adjust on it....so i did that and will have to still lower the the pin box one hole...should be on the money then....Our F-450 dually is a little lower than most 1 ton SRW units which is great for stability but means I have to find a little more adjustment room...
The pin box is heavy....would be tough to do without some sort of lift...our loader will keep things under control when I get things loose....tomorrows project is to lower the pin box...I got 2 1/2 " difference from the tri-glide to the fixed jaw....The Reese is about 1 1/4" per hole adjustment ( I moved one hole) and the pin box moves 2" per hole....so it will be a little more than needed....which is fine as the trailer is empty now....and when we move... it will be loaded....I am sure it will make our truck squat a little extra...

Wes 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #18

Eye opener...Check your pin box bolts !

I had a few minutes to prepare to lower the pin box (which i will do tomorrow)....decided to go out and remove some of the bolts....loosen them all...anticipating a grunt....Well, to my surprise all the bolts were no where near torque specs....I would describe them as barely snug....a couple of them were only along for the ride...not rattling loose....but loose....I know where this trailer traveled and who owned it....Its gone on one trip to Yuma from Alberta Canada and back....then the past owners wife got sick and it sat while she went thru a serious ordeal,,,,and thankfully recovered.....then they decided that a diesel MH would be better for their needs....so one long trip...Sounds like these units need to be checked regularly and any movement can accelerate wear and possible failure of the pin box attachment...

Wes 2015 38RL / 2016 F-450
Old 04-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #19

Wow, Happy Easter everyone, just read this site about pin boxes, been having that clanking and banging going on since day of purchase in 2015, got around it by greasing entire Fifth Wheel and hitch before every travel, it would work for awhile then start back up.
Thanks for info printed on this thread, called Lippert got a case # and now all I have to do is send them info requested and was told they would send me lower jaw, outstanding.
Thanks for the use full info this site provides.
Jeff&Karen39MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #20

Hey Jeff....Great that you found the info helpful....and it will resolve this issue (that could get serious)....As you read....its an easy fix....if you have some help....whether mechanical or strong backs....Piece of mind is worth the effort....that banging from movement in the tri-glide is hard on your nerves...
Keep us in the loop about the fix....

Wes